2017/1/1: Wii U: Super Mario Maker, Mighty No. 9

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Stalvern

Re: 2017/1/1: Wii U: Super Mario Maker, Mighty No. 9

Postby Stalvern » January 3rd, 2017, 2:48 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think it's a valid question! I did consider it.
If it were a Mega Man game I would have given it the ET award no doubt.
But since it's supposed to be an original franchise I felt I had to tamper my expectations a bit.

What do you guys think?

It didn't seem like you tempered your expectations much (not that you should have had to). Leading off with how the game "looks like a sure winner, resurrecting the timeless Mega Man platform-shooting formula in gorgeous high definition" before laying out why it gets a D is more or less a textbook case for the award, as far as I can tell. (Either that or something like Bubsy 3D, where the game is so horrible that no expectation at all can match the awful reality.)

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » January 3rd, 2017, 1:56 pm

Supposedly, the Wii U version of Mighty No. 9 has been known to make people's consoles crash. Not the game, the console ITSELF crashes. A truly baffling problem if you ask me. It hasn't happened to me since I own the PS4 version, but it's still a mediocre game no matter what you play it on.

Also, I've never really understood the VGC's dislike of Mega Man Powered Up. I found it to be a fun alternate take on the original NES game even if the voices got grating on occasion and I certainly enjoyed it quite a bit more than this one.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 3rd, 2017, 7:14 pm

With Mario Maker, from what I've gathered, you need to follow a few rules:
1. If you find a level you like, follow the creator
2. Don't play Japanese levels: over half are troll levels are levels that require a stupid specific way to beat them.
3. When playing "100 Man", don't be afraid to use that skip button.

***and the comments bubbles?? Duh, turn em off, critic!

I follow a few twitch streamers who focus on Mario Maker--carlsagan42, trihex, and granpoobear, and it's not uncommon for them to grind a single level for over an hour, despite their mario skills.

Critic: since you routinely bash other games requiring all kinds of updates and online circus tricks to get going, I think you should also praise games (like MArio Maker) that nave a pretty user friendly online setup.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 3rd, 2017, 7:19 pm

With MN9, it's the classic example of a game that follows the formula, but completely lacks the soul. I feel the same goes for the Yoshi Islands games--my favorite classic platformer.

Mega man unfortunately peaked at #2 (lol) and has been a decline since. Fortunately, there's a healthy MM Speedrunning community, and those are interesting to watch--especially the recent "46 Robot Masters" races (beat MM 1-6, but just the regular levels...not the Wiley stages)

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » January 4th, 2017, 8:58 pm

I think, by the pure arrogance and then apathy of Might No. 9's development team, plus their cancerous attitude towards concerned project backers makes the grade a little too generous. But, its your site, your rules your opinion.

I wish someone else with more passion and business ethic could have developed it...

Return to “Review Feedback”