Mr. Bungle

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Retrology

Mr. Bungle

Postby Retrology » December 29th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Anyone else a fan of this band? They're probably the strangest band ever created and I love them for it. They literally shuffle through every genre in every song they've ever done and it's done so randomly you won't know what happens next.

The self titled debut is probably their best, but all 3 of their albums are excellent. And of course, Mike Patton!

Thoughts?

Stalvern

Re: Mr. Bungle

Postby Stalvern » December 30th, 2016, 5:47 am

I don't know if they were the strangest band - even on the Warner label, Boredoms were/are much weirder - but there's definitely been nothing else like them (others have tried... and failed). All of their albums are indeed great, although I prefer Disco Volante myself.

If Mike Patton could put together a Faith No More comeback last year, I have a sliver of hope that we might see Mr. Bungle again sometime soon. Fingers are crossed.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » December 30th, 2016, 12:40 pm

I bought a cassette of Disco Volante at a pawn shop back in high school because of a review in Guitar World (guitar magazines were a major source of new music for me in the pre-Internet days). It became (along with Napalm Death's Scum and Butthole Surfers' Psychic... Powerless... Another Man's Sac) a favorite curiosity to put on for friends or visitors. It's one of those albums (like Soundgarden's Superunknown or Smashing Pumkpins' Siamese Dream) that I wore-out for myself and can now only listen to occasionally, so I usually put on the more tuneful California instead - for some reason I've had trouble getting into the first album.

If you like Mr. Bungle, you should give Secret Chiefs 3 a listen as well. They are an instrumental group led by Trey Spruance (guitarist/keyboardist for Mr. Bungle and guitarist for King for a Day...Fool for a Lifetime-era Faith No More. If anything, they are even more eclectic than Mr. Bungle.

Stalvern wrote:I don't know if they were the strangest band - even on the Warner label, Boredoms were/are much weirder - but there's definitely been nothing else like them (others have tried... and failed).

The Boredoms were also great, although I checked out after Vision Creation Newsun - I preferred the earlier noise/punk style, although the later work might grow on me if I give it another shot.

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » January 5th, 2017, 4:20 am

Mr Bungle rules and I dig most of the associated acts as well. I've spent many nights watching their Bizarre Festival performance. I hope they get back together one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJstGnsAQP4

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 8th, 2017, 11:34 am

I haven't heard of the band. I'm a little disappointed because I thought your post was going to be about this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7X5-Drctk

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 8th, 2017, 12:07 pm

ESauce wrote:I haven't heard of the band. I'm a little disappointed because I thought your post was going to be about this:

That's the source of the band's name.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 10th, 2017, 12:05 am

velcrozombie wrote:
ESauce wrote:I haven't heard of the band. I'm a little disappointed because I thought your post was going to be about this:

That's the source of the band's name.

I assumed as much. I just wanted to make sure everyone here saw it. :lol:

I saw that video in an episode of Pee Wee's Playhouse years ago. We actually named a cat Mrs Bungle after it.

Return to “Other Media”