2017/1/31: Sega Master System: Phantasy Star

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/1/31: Sega Master System: Phantasy Star

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2017, 6:43 pm

My missing RPG reviews are gradually filling in thanks to my RPG crew.
Thanks to Scotland for penning this one.

Kevin

Re: 2017/1/31: Sega Master System: Phantasy Star

Postby Kevin » January 31st, 2017, 8:53 pm

I could never get into Phantasy Star for some reason. Loved PSO on my Dreamcast but since I missed the games in their hayday I don't have the patience to grind.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 2nd, 2017, 12:54 am

I had pso on the dreamcast which was okay. It always seemed like a poor mans FF. Given the choice I would always go for FF. Well up until 13 the games that killed the franchise.

It is good to see that the ms game was well produced. I would have liked to have got into it in the day. Now I do not think I would have the patience for those dungeons.

Good review where you sold me on the game.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » February 2nd, 2017, 8:45 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with this franchise... I love the early titles though. Played a whole lot of 2 and some of 4, and only the 1st one in emulator form, and I can absolutely recommend it as well. I really like the non-traditional sci-fi theme of the series. As for PSO, had it on my Dreamcast and GC, and the GC version is far superior for a few reasons, the main one is that you can play 4 player split screen. Don't need multiple accounts or anything, just have your buddies make a character and go nuts. The gameplay in PSO is a little too repetitive for me though. My friends loved it back in the day though.

borntorun

Postby borntorun » February 4th, 2017, 12:10 pm

This is easily my favorite Master System game. The first- person dungeons made quite an impression in the 80s. I still have my original cartridge and play it from time to time. It was one of two Master System cartridges I bought with my own money as a kid.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2017, 12:19 pm

Does the original battery still work, or did you replace it?

The batteries have remarkable longevity, but we're talking 30 years!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 4th, 2017, 4:41 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Does the original battery still work, or did you replace it?

The batteries have remarkable longevity, but we're talking 30 years!

It's amazing, isn't it. I bet no one ever expected that back in the day. I have never had to replace an NES battery. In the past few months, I've played the original Zelda and a few copies of Tecmo Super Bowl, and the original save batteries still worked. The only batteries I've ever had to change are in one SNES cart and one Game Boy cart.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2017, 7:29 pm

It's funny - back in the day people working at EB Games or whatever would tell you that battery would last five years tops. But how would they know? They were just talking out of their ass. They said the same thing about floppy discs and those are still going strong. Now you hear similar stories about CD's "rotting" yet none of my old CD games have failed me yet.

FusekiGames

Postby FusekiGames » February 5th, 2017, 1:37 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:It's funny - back in the day people working at EB Games or whatever would tell you that battery would last five years tops. But how would they know? They were just talking out of their ass. They said the same thing about floppy discs and those are still going strong. Now you hear similar stories about CD's "rotting" yet none of my old CD games have failed me yet.

I have cd-rs that I burned nearly 20 years ago that are still good, and had some burned in the past couple of years that had redundancy errors. It's all about how they're stored, I would reckon...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 5th, 2017, 10:47 am

I've heard the stuff people burn themselves definitely degrades over the years. However that's totally different from the mass-produced games and music CDs sold at a store, which is what I was referring to.

Return to “Review Feedback”