2017/2/3: Super Nintendo: Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/2/3: Super Nintendo: Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 3rd, 2017, 6:30 pm

Here's a pair on new SNES for your reading enjoyment. Agree or disagree??

Rev

Re: 2017/2/3: Super Nintendo: Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2

Postby Rev » February 3rd, 2017, 6:54 pm

I enjoyed both reviews but I' wish you would have put some kind of comments on both about what differentiates these two games from their Genesis counterparts. You scored both of those higher than this one 2.5 years ago... When you have multiple reviews of the same game, across different systems, it helps to know what some of the differences are. Still, I thought both reviews were great and enjoyed them a lot.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 4th, 2017, 1:40 am

The SNES Earthworm Jim looks and sounds slicker than the Genesis version, but it's much worse and more frustrating because of the lower resolution. The stages were clearly designed for the greater visibility on the Genesis; with the SNES port, the Critic's complaints about sudden, unpredictable enemies/hazards and unintuitive layouts are entirely natural. Earthworm Jim is my favorite Genesis game, but the SNES version is a hot mess that I'm never moved to play.

The sequel doesn't have those issues nearly as bad, though, and I actually prefer the SNES version for that game. Beats me why it got a C+; the review itself seems to indicate a solid B (or B- at worst).

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 4th, 2017, 4:04 am

I enjoyed these reviews. People have fond memories of EJ, so you might catch some flack on the scores, but I think they're fair. The games were big back in the day because of their personality--not so much their gameplay--so I think anything in the B or C range would be fair. Also, I always think of EJ as more of a Genesis game...I wonder if others here share that same feeling...but I always associated it with the Genesis. Probably because the irreverent personality of the game just fits in better with the Genesis personality. And more Genesis owners seemed to have it.

I agree with Rev, though, that it helps to know the key differences between the games when you've reviewed them on multiple systems...or the fact that there are no major differences, if that's the case. If one version is better, that'd really help too, for people that might want to buy the game. (Especially because the scores aren't necessarily indicative, since they are system-based grades.) If you don't want to say that stuff in the review, you could just mention it in the forums here when you start the feedback topic.

Earthworm Jim 2 for the SNES has extra fondness from me since it's the most valuable game I've ever sold. I bought a factory sealed copy from a pawn shop years back for dirt cheap, and I sold it this past fall for $350 after two collectors were competing for it. It's completely crazy/ridiculous what sealed SNES games are going for right now. (For example, by comparison, a cart only copy of EJ2 can be had for around $20.) No interest in sealed collecting for me, so I was happy to part ways with it.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » February 4th, 2017, 6:16 am

I'd always rate Earthworm Jim 1 higher than Earthworm Jim 2. Part 2 has to many repetitive levels (like that horrible sand stage) and is way too easy.

BTW have you compared the bonus stage in Earthworm Jim 2 with the bonus stage in Sega's Flicky? They are practical similar.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2017, 9:23 am

Good feedback guys.

I agree it would have been informative if I had outlined the differences between this and the Genesis game. Since I haven't played the Genesis game I couldn't say off hand.

There was a time when I would have played both sets of games for comparison purposes, but I don't do that often nowadays in the interest of time. If I did that in this case I probably would have wanted to update the Genesis review as well and it would have turned into a major project.

I think there's something to be said for reviewing both sets independently so one set of reviews doesn't influence the other.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 4th, 2017, 1:00 pm

It is probably worth mentioning at least that the SNES version of Earthworm Jim is missing a level that's in the Genesis version.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » February 4th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Good reads, though I'm surprised by the Earthworm Jim grade. The controls can be frustrating, but I got used to them. I'd give it a B+ or even A-. A fun, funny, quirky game with a thumping soundtrack, especially the bungee jumping level. If I'm not mistaken, the original VGC review was a B+, a pretty big drop to C-. (Brings up an interesting topic: biggest grade changes from VGC's original reviews to re-reviews).

Never played Earthworm Jim 2, didn't even know it existed.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » February 5th, 2017, 4:17 pm

Nice to see a pair of EJ games reviewed (re-reviewed?). I'm not sure I ever tried the SNES versions of either , but I'd rate Genesis EJ at A+ and EJ2 at B.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » February 6th, 2017, 1:37 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Good feedback guys.

I agree it would have been informative if I had outlined the differences between this and the Genesis game. Since I haven't played the Genesis game I couldn't say off hand.

If you haven't played it, why did you review it???

Return to “Review Feedback”