So I finally purchased a Wii U. . .

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Rookie1

So I finally purchased a Wii U. . .

Postby Rookie1 » February 10th, 2017, 9:12 am

Well, I finally did it. After all this time I decided to take the plunge and get a Wii U. What pushed me over the edge? Zelda BoTW of course. There was some reinforcement to it though. I wanted Star Fox Zero, Shovel Knight, Zombie U, and the Windwaker and Twilight Princess remasters as well.

I would never have paid full price for this thing though. I mean, I will probably never own any more games for it than what I mentioned above, and thats just sad. If I would have got this thing when it first came out, I would have had 1 game for the first 3 years of its life. And that, my friends, is the problem with Nintendo. They dont want to cater to 3rd parties, but barely put out any 1st party titles worth a darn (at least for me). A new Zelda game as the last game in the consoles life? What a slap to the face that is. So, because of that, I bought everything off ebay and Nintendo got $0 of my dollars. Well, with the exception of BoTW, which is the first Nintendo game I have bought new since I got RE4 for the Wii when it first came out.

With all that said, I actually really like this thing. The control pad is cool, and despite people saying its uncomfortable to play with, I find it quite fitting. I really like being able to play it without the TV being on. The best part is, my bathroom is just close enough to where the controller wont lose connection while im in there. And, as a parent, being able to lock myself in the bathroom is super important. I played shovel knight for a solid 25 minutes with no interruptions. It was great.

I kind of see the appeal to the Switch now, though I still have no interest in it. Zelda being the first game means we wont get another one for 5 years if ever. I dont care about Mario games. My Wii U actually had the 3D mario world disc inside it, which I played for about 5 minutes before turning it off.

All-in-all its solid for what I paid. I got the Zelda edition in the box, so I can add it to the rest of my Zelda edition console collection. I wish it had a better library though. There are what, 175(ish) games? I went through the list and didnt see anything that interested me other than what I listed here. Kind of a bummer. Would have felt better about this thing if I could have got maybe 10 or 15 games in total. Plus, the games are still super expensive. $60 a piece at wal-mart for most of the Library still? Yikes!

I cant really say I would recommend it, but if you find it cheap enough I think it would be worth it.

Voor

Re: So I finally purchased a Wii U. . .

Postby Voor » February 10th, 2017, 12:11 pm

Yeah, all I have is a NES Classic, and if we get anything beyond that, it'll be a Wii U. The Switch looks cool, but it's just too expensive a purchase for everything (for me).

I'd probably get the 2D marios, Zelda, DKC Freeze, Shovel Knight, and Mario Kart. I'd probably want one FPS--any to recommend?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 10th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Voor wrote:I'd probably want one FPS--any to recommend?

Other than ZombiU I think there are 2 CoD games. Outside of that I have no idea.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 10th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Wii U is also the best way to play Wii games.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 10th, 2017, 3:07 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Wii U is also the best way to play Wii games.

Its funny, I dont own a single Wii game. I have a Wii, but only use it for emulation.

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » February 10th, 2017, 6:57 pm

So you bought the Wii U for exactly one poorly reviewed exclusive (Star Fox Zero)? If you already hate loved games like RE4, Super Mario 3d World, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, etc I don't think Nintendo can do a lot to please you anyway.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 10th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Rookie1 wrote:
Gentlegamer wrote:Wii U is also the best way to play Wii games.

Its funny, I dont own a single Wii game. I have a Wii, but only use it for emulation.

Get Super Mario Galaxy.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 10th, 2017, 11:35 pm

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut qualifies as a fps in my opinion and was well received on the Wii U (Actually appearing to be in the running for the definitive console edition when it appeared). I haven't yet played it, but it's on my want list and likely to be the only fps I own on the system when all is said and done since I already own the two Call of Duty's on the Xbox 360 and the gore turns me off of Zombie U in gameplay videos. It's also extremely cheap and can be found for under $10 new on Amazon.

And since Rookie1 obviously isn't a platformer fan judging by his opinion of Super Mario 3D World (The genre that the Wii U most excels at in my opinion), how about a 3rd party arcade racer that was easily overlooked? Need for Speed: Most Wanted U is another one of those early 3rd party releases on the system from when publishers were tentatively supporting the system before they wrote the system off, that actually turned out well and exceeded the experience on the 360 and PS3 (Such as utilizing the PC version's higher resolution textures).

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 11th, 2017, 7:38 am

MrLuck87 wrote:So you bought the Wii U for exactly one poorly reviewed exclusive (Star Fox Zero)? If you already hate loved games like RE4, Super Mario 3d World, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, etc I don't think Nintendo can do a lot to please you anyway.

In the very first paragraph:
What pushed me over the edge? Zelda BoTW of course.

and then:
. . .Shovel Knight, Zombie U, and the Windwaker and Twilight Princess remasters as well.

Im a fan of the SF franchise though. Even the other poorly rated games I have liked, so I am not worried about the reviews for SFZ.

But youre right, Nintendo has little to offer me in terms of gameplay, thats why I dont buy any of their stuff when it comes out. GameCube was their last console that had a library that I really loved (and even that I just picked up within the last few years), and have amassed a pretty solid collection of it's games. I own a Wii, but dont own a single Wii game. I just use it for emulation. I never bought a WiiU when it came out because all I really wanted was Zelda for it. Now that its 3 weeks away, I figured it was time to buy in it and pick up a few other games I was interested in as well.

I have never played MK8 or Bayonetta. I love my MK64 and Super MK though.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 11th, 2017, 7:41 am

Atariboy wrote:And since Rookie1 obviously isn't a platformer fan judging by his opinion of Super Mario 3D World (The genre that the Wii U most excels at in my opinion), how about a 3rd party arcade racer that was easily overlooked? Need for Speed: Most Wanted U is another one of those early 3rd party releases on the system from when publishers were tentatively supporting the system before they wrote the system off, that actually turned out well and exceeded the experience on the 360 and PS3 (Such as utilizing the PC version's higher resolution textures).

Platformers are actually my main focus in games, I just dont like the 3D Mario games very much. I will probably pick up the 2D Mario games if I can get them on the cheap. They are still a little pricey right now.

Return to “Modern Gaming”