Dormant Sega Franchises

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Dormant Sega Franchises

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2017, 3:46 pm

As I've been reviewing Fighting Vipers lately it occurred to me that it's one of many great franchises Sega has basically abandoned. They have ignored so many classic properties while continuing to beat Sonic like a drum. What gives?

Can you name some other Sega franchises that have been left for dead? Oh yeah - that reminds me - House of the Dead!

BanjoPickles

Re: Dormant Sega Franchises

Postby BanjoPickles » February 13th, 2017, 5:00 pm

So many! They're one of the worst, when it comes to erasing their own legacy from existence:

Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, Crazy Taxi, Streets of Rage, Virtual Fighter/Cop/On, Vectorman, Outrun, Afterburner, Phantasy Star, The Shining series, Eternal Champions, Toejam and Earl (though there is a new one coming out in the near future).....

There's also the wasted potential of never having created follow ups to the games that begged for it! Comix Zone? Skies of Arcadia? Billy Hatcher (the game had problems, but had real potential), Burning Rangers, etc.

Sixteen years ago, I was okay with the end o Sega as a hardware developer, but I had no idea that I was also saying goodbye to Sega as a relevant software developer as well. Apart from Yakuza, a series that I'm honestly surprised they haven't abandoned yet, what have they created, since the demise of the DC, that stands up to their best work?

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » February 13th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Off the top of my head... Streets of Rage.

There are actually a lot of SEGA games that for some reason only had one or two entries. One that was a very arcade style game was vectorman. Kid Chameleon was a really cool game, and seemed like there was a lot of depth to the gameplay. Also, SEGA was pretty ahead of its time with Comix Zone. A Crazy Taxi sequel would be awesome.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 14th, 2017, 1:34 am

Panzer Dragoon is the one I want to see again most of all. The main series didn't have a single bad game and it got better with every iteration, to say nothing of Panzer Dragoon Saga. If they made another on-rails Panzer Dragokn they could add some more RPG elements to it. Fans would eat that up.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » February 14th, 2017, 3:48 am

I'd love to see new takes on Space Harrier, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe (forget about Beast Rider). I'd also love to see some sort of sequel to Baku Baku Animal, a great underrated puzzle game.

Also, Virtua Racing (maybe old-fashioned, but I like that polygon style) could get a new game, and so can Beyond Oasis/Story of Thor (action-RPG even the Critic might enjoy). Also, another new Shinobi game? (I actually enjoyed the latest on Nintendo 3DS). Yes, so many great franchises...

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » February 14th, 2017, 5:13 am

BanjoPickles wrote:Apart from Yakuza, a series that I'm honestly surprised they haven't abandoned yet, what have they created, since the demise of the DC, that stands up to their best work?

New IP, or new games in general?

I can't think of much for major new franchises that Sega have created since then although they've had some smaller scale successes like Super Monkey Ball (Which they drove into the ground after a strong start), but they did make some excellent games afterwards.

I think Outrun 2/Outrun 2 SP and its various home ports are their crowning achievement of the post-Dreamcast years and rival the best that Sega has ever produced. In fact I think I'd select Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast on the original Xbox as my favorite Sega game of all.

I hope we not only get Outrun 3 one of these days, but that it also lives up to its pedigree. I'd love to see Sumo Digital let loose with this franchise one of these days.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » February 14th, 2017, 9:05 am

BanjoPickles wrote: what have they created, since the demise of the DC, that stands up to their best work?

The one series that is fantastic is the Sonic and all stars racing games. These are awesome kart racers and I could see making the argument that they are better than Mario Kart.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 14th, 2017, 10:24 am

They should bring franchises back like the many mentioned from BanjoPickles.

Here is one obscure one that should return someday, it is Floigan Bros. which originated on the Sega Dreamcast, was a very original/creative game that flopped because it came out near the end of the Sega Dreamcast, it does prove this company does not have a good track recorded with old IP's if its name is not Sonic and that is it!

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » February 15th, 2017, 9:36 am

I'm sure there is a long list of games. As I mentioned earlier, there are a lot of games, pretty much for all system, that only had one entry.

If you take a closer look at Sonic's ultimate genesis Collection, you'll see games like Decap attack Chuck d. head, which I thought featured the rapper Chuck D. Wasn't really a game worthy of a sequel, but just to give an example.

The one I overlooked in that collection was ESWAT. It's a really awesome sidescrolling police shooter.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 15th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:They should bring franchises back like the many mentioned from BanjoPickles.

Here is one obscure one that should return someday, it is Floigan Bros. which originated on the Sega Dreamcast, was a very original/creative game that flopped because it came out near the end of the Sega Dreamcast, it does prove this company does not have a good track recorded with old IP's if its name is not Sonic and that is it!

The sad thing about Floigan Bros is it's full title is Floigan Bros: Episode 1. And that's the only Episode!

Return to “Video Games General”