Castlevania Lament of Innocence

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
shootingstar

Castlevania Lament of Innocence

Postby shootingstar » February 26th, 2017, 12:27 pm

I am not a huge fan of the N64 Castlevanias but I was curious if the PS2 offered any improvements.

I am a little iffy on this one. I don't hate it, but it definitely didn't reach it's potential. The main issue is the level design. As opposed to platforming and avoiding obstacles, most of this game involves walking through flat hallways and rooms. There is very little variety, the levels reuse the same rooms over and over and each level feels the same as they are all built with similar looking stone walls. Even the garden level is mostly stone hallways with only a very small part an actual garden.

The only time this changes is when you must defeat enemies to unlock doors and the occasional puzzle. The bosses are pretty cool though, and can be challenging.

The fact of the matter is that the N64 game had far more variety in level design and the environments you explore. It also never cut and pasted a single room. I feel like the developers of Lament of Innocence could've tried a little harder.

Return to “Now Playing”