Final Fantasy XV and Bloodborne

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Final Fantasy XV and Bloodborne

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 3rd, 2017, 10:55 am

Just got my PS4 on Wednesday, and picked up two games to go with it: Final Fantasy XV and Bloodborne.

FFXV is pretty good so far. The story's just as deep an engaging as I'd expect from the biggest JRPG franchise ever, the graphics are bright and colorful, and the world so far is fun to explore. Some people might not enjoy riding in the car for minutes at a time, but I feel like it adds to the "road trip" vibe the story is going for, plus listening to Noctis talk to his friends is entertaining enough to pass the time. I'm a little disappointed with the combat. Watching gameplay makes it look like they brought Kingdom Hearts' combat over into Final Fantasy, which had me excited beyond belief! Instead, you pretty much just hold the O button and Noctis swings his sword nonstop. It's not bad, per se, and switching weapons to deal with different enemies and warp attacks both add some flavor and strategy, but it baffles me that all they had to do was copy and paste what KH has already done, and instead decided to go with this. The only thing I really don't like are the names, which are pretentious even by Final Fantasy standards. Ignis Scienta? Really? Was Smarty McSmartypants too subtle for ya?

Bloodborne... I love it. It's not a Souls game, but it still feels enough like a Souls game that it's familiar while still doing its own thing. I was able to make a lot of progress in just a couple of hours by using the same tactics I used in Dark Souls. Not having a shield will definitely take some getting used tom, since Dark Souls got me in the habit of hiding behind it 90% of the time (I can't tell you how many times I've already died because my first reaction was to extend my weapon when an enemy lunged at me). I'm not sure if I like the gothic Victorian look more than the decimated medieval kingdom of Dark Souls, but it's still amazingly awesome. Is it better than Souls? I'll have to get farther in the game before I can decide that. I can still say that it's an awesome game worthy of From Software's name, though!

Return to “Now Playing”