PS1 Tomb Raider I or II

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

PS1 Tomb Raider I or II

Postby matmico399 » March 3rd, 2017, 12:18 pm

I was perusing through Dave's PSX reviews and lo and behold came across his Tomb Raider reviews on the system. When I first got the console back in the mid 90's I was absolutely enthralled with the Tomb Raider games, at least 1 and 2. From what I remember 1 was really wild but I don't think I ever finished it. Like Dave 2 took me forever to complete but it was a lot of fun, if not arduous at times. Being so used to more fast paced games now I wonder if I would enjoy them nearly as much. That was like 20 years ago and a lot has faded from memory. I guess my question is to anyone who has played these in the last five years, would You go with 1 or 2? It seemed like I enjoyed 2 more but I also remember it being frustrating as hell in places.

Gentlegamer

Re: PS1 Tomb Raider I or II

Postby Gentlegamer » March 3rd, 2017, 2:08 pm

From memory, it felt like Tomb Raider II was longer, and definitely had way more (too many) gun fights, but you can save anywhere at anytime.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 3rd, 2017, 7:49 pm

I think I would go with Tomb Raider I because it's more memorable and shorter.

If I recall correctly Tomb Raider II took me several months to complete, and I was playing on a regular basis. I vaguely remember the upside-down ship. I think the timed challenges were the toughest part of TR2. You have to hit a bunch of switches and return to an area before a door closed. It was harrowing to say the least.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 4th, 2017, 3:50 am

A possible 3rd option would be Tomb Raider Anniversary. It's a very nice remake of the original Tomb Raider that was released in 2007 for the PS2, PSP, 360, Wii, and various other non-dedicated platforms. It also made its way to the PS3 later as part of the Tomb Raider Trilogy.

Given their somewhat dated nature, this Crystal Dynamics re-imagining might be the way to go for revisiting your memories of the original without dealing with the dated graphical engine, controls, and some of the mechanics that haven't aged gracefully. Here's a Eurogamer review of the 360 version, if you're curious to hear a bit more about it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_tom ... ersary_360

Crystal Dynamics are still at the helm of this franchise, 10 years later.

Rev

Postby Rev » March 5th, 2017, 12:51 pm

I actually did play both of these games a couple years ago and really enjoyed them but I got completely stuck on 2. They're definitely dated but I actually did enjoy them. Anniversary might be a fun substitute. 2 is crazy long.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 6th, 2017, 9:14 am

I have fond memories of TR2. Well, at least the demo anyways. I dont remeber if I ever owned it, but I played the hell out of the demo.

Rev

Postby Rev » March 6th, 2017, 7:02 pm

That first stage of TR2 is wonderful... What a great demo for the PS1. It was the first game I ever played on the PS1, which was also on my demo disc that came with my console. I never beat that first stage as a kid until I went back and played the game a couple years ago. That stage was so long I could never get past the tower with all the spiders in it.

Return to “Classic Gaming”