Games you like that everyone else hates?

General and high profile video game topics.
astrodomekid

Games you like that everyone else hates?

Postby astrodomekid » March 11th, 2017, 7:50 pm

After my "Favorite 'Guilty Pleasure' Games" topic a while back, I thought I'd start a similar discussion based on games we like that others dislike. And here's a couple of mine:

Glover (PS1) Yes, the Nintendo 64 version is far superior, and I think the Critic should stick with that version if he decides to review it (and I really hope he does). Yes, it is slower and watered down, with some of the cool stuff from the N64 version cut out. Yes, even the music is strangely inferior in terms of quality (despite the PS1's CD-based format). But truth be told, even though I used to play the N64 version all the time at this daycare I used to go to, I didn't have an N64 for my very own until I was 11 years old. So at age 8, I moved to Ohio where I stayed for almost a year (most of 2003) before moving back to my old hometown. My family and I visited a multimedia store and I searched through the PS1 games they had, and there it was. Remembering how much I loved the N64 version back in the day, I immediately went up to my parents and asked them for it. I managed to convince them, and it soon became one of my favorite games of all time. And even though I eventually got the N64 version as a teenager and opened up to how inferior the PS1 version is by comparison, I still think it has the charm of the original.

Shadow the Hedgehog (PS2) Believe it or not, this was actually the first Sonic game I ever played. Maybe that's the reason why I'm open to the idea of a darker Sonic game. It may not be as good as I remember, but that didn't stop me from turning me on to the Sonic franchise.

Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly (PS2) Another PS1 game that I got when I lived in Ohio was "Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage", and it too became one of my favorite video games of all time, ultimately making me a fan of Spyro the Dragon as he is now my second favorite video game character (next to Sonic). So naturally, I wanted to see how Enter The Dragonfly (which I remember seeing the commercial for 2 years prior) compares. It wasn't until my 13th birthday that I managed to get my hands on it. I'll admit I was kind of disappointed by how short and buggy it was, and even a little impatient for those *looooong* load times. But the music is quite relaxing, and the game itself still has that classic Spyro feel that I adored so much. Still, I really think the Critic should cover the original Spyro trilogy (even if he has to revisit the first game).

CaptainCruch

Re: Games you like that everyone else hates?

Postby CaptainCruch » March 12th, 2017, 5:20 am

I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever. Graphics weren't great and the loading times were annoying, but I like how the game doesn't take itself seriously at all.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » March 12th, 2017, 7:51 am

Cybermorph gets a bad rap for its lame graphics and that stupid green head, but it's a decently playable update of the classic Atari 800 game Rescue on Fractalus. I still prefer Fractalus, of course, but Cybermorph doesn't at all deserve to be the poster child for crappy Jaguar games (certainly not in a world where Checkered Flag exists).

GTS

Postby GTS » March 12th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Pit Fighter for Genesis. It's so bad it's good.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 13th, 2017, 10:45 am

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel is considered a weak follow-up to Borderlands 2, disliking the moon game-play (gravity and oxygen), but I found it quite fun. The low-gravity lets you jump around (and there's quake style jump pads), the oxygen is resource for steering your long jumps, there's plenty of oxygen around, and the new laser weapon is like old school quake rail guns.

And it proves that Handsome Jack is the hero of the series.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » March 13th, 2017, 5:54 pm

I have a weakness for games that were ambitious in all the wrong ways. Is Need for Speed: Most Wanted a good game? Sure! Is it a good game on the GBA? Well, define "Good." The level design rewards ambition, the unlockables are clear rewards, and how often do you see a 3d game rendered entirely in jpeg artifacts?

Still, if you give it a fair shake,it'll take you back to a time when kids in the UK sincerely thought US Gold could trick the C64 into behaving like Sega's super scaler arcade hardware. At least, that's the aesthetic I think they were going for.

It's entirely possible they were aiming more for giving your eyes a nasty case of road rash.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 14th, 2017, 5:00 am

GTS wrote:Pit Fighter for Genesis. It's so bad it's good.

I don't agree. I enjoy Pit-Fighter for Genesis too, but I actually believe it's a decent average fighting game. I don't think 'it's so bad it's good'. :)

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » March 14th, 2017, 7:44 am

Hey guys, what's up, it's been a while! Sword of Sodan!

Kevin

Postby Kevin » March 14th, 2017, 5:07 pm

I can't think of too many older titles right now but one game that a lot of people disliked was Rodea for 3ds. I'm not sure why but I'm enjoying this game a lot. It reminds me of a Dreamcast title for some reason. It definitely has it's flaws but I can forgive them because my sense of nostalgia kicks in when I play it.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » March 14th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Oltobaz wrote:Hey guys, what's up, it's been a while! Sword of Sodan!

Joy.

Return to “Video Games General”