Games you like that everyone else hates?

General and high profile video game topics.
goldenband

Re: Games you like that everyone else hates?

Postby goldenband » March 14th, 2017, 9:28 pm

Oltobaz wrote:Hey guys, what's up, it's been a while! Sword of Sodan!

Same here! I said so in the other thread, but despite its poor reputation, I actually enjoyed that game quite a bit. It's basically a side-scrolling mech game masquerading as a gory medieval painting.

Another game on the Genesis that most people hate, but I like, is Astérix and the Great Rescue. People complain that Astérix's attack range is too short, but the manual even says you're supposed to let the enemies come to you. Play the game that way, and everything hums along fairly well. And it's got some great music.

Todd's Adventures in Slime World is another. Totally infuriating with spectacularly abrasive sound, but I found it utterly addictive until I finally beat it. One level is akin to a modern kaizo hack, or something like Battle Kid, in its unforgiving and memorization-dependent gameplay -- and while I usually can't stand that kind of thing, there it worked for me.

I also like Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero on the N64, which gets a lot of flack. I haven't beaten it yet so it's possible that the later levels get very ugly (I think I've read that they do), but up until everything up to the point where Very Easy and Easy cut off, I had fun.

radar

Postby radar » March 27th, 2017, 2:30 am

Bad Dudes Nes

Retrology

Postby Retrology » March 27th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Sonic 3D Blast-Playing it with an analog stick makes it MUCH better imo. Not a masterpiece, but I think it's pretty good.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » March 27th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Not sure that people HATE it, but I seemed to enjoy Shadows of the Damned more than a lot of other people did. Solid shooting mechanics, lots of cheesy humor, bosses who all have their own visual motifs and need to be fought in their own way, an entire section explicitly ripping off Evil Dead 2, gimmick levels (the aforementioned Evil Dead 2 chase level, a turret section and a side-scrolling space shooter) that give variety without overstaying their welcome and an ending that's more complicated than it initially looks. Nothing world-beating here, but it's a solid B-game to me.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » March 27th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Retrology wrote:Sonic 3D Blast-Playing it with an analog stick makes it MUCH better imo. Not a masterpiece, but I think it's pretty good.

I liked it even with the D-pad. If Sonic wasn't in the title, and the visuals were a little more interesting, I bet people would love it.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » March 27th, 2017, 7:26 pm

I would like Sonic 3D Blast if it had a save function. I agree with the VGC's assessment of that game, the lack of a save ability severely harms it.

Sut

Postby Sut » April 1st, 2017, 4:32 pm

Cyber Shinobi - Animation is choppy, play area is only half the screen, controls are iffy and the bosses look like a 6th formers MS paint project.

But despite all this, with time,there is still a Shinobi game in there. The worst of the bunch definitely but enough of one for me to want to reply every now and then.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » April 1st, 2017, 9:49 pm

Fighting Force 2. The Dreamcast version is lame, but the PS1 version has nothing inherently awful about it. It's rather smooth playing in my opinion. Lots of varied locations, tons of weapons, and satisfying action. It's like Crusader: No Remorse on the Saturn, but updated for PS1. People compare it to the first Fighting Force too much, but that isn't fair. Fighting Force 1 is Streets of Rage 4 (I'm not even kidding, look it up, it's ACTUALLY Streets of Rage 4). While FF2 was a dedicated game. Comparing it to the first is so stupid.

djc

Postby djc » April 2nd, 2017, 1:03 am

One of my favorites is Double Switch on the Sega CD/Saturn. Sure it's shallow and not much replay value after you beat it - but it's an enjoyable time and the acting is hilariously terrible.

-DJ

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 2nd, 2017, 4:16 am

MoarRipter wrote:I would like Sonic 3D Blast if it had a save function. I agree with the VGC's assessment of that game, the lack of a save ability severely harms it.

I agree that a save feature should've been added, but I think the game sort of makes up for it with the stage select cheat.

Return to “Video Games General”