Any thoughts on Wii and PS3?

General and high profile video game topics.
ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » October 30th, 2006, 11:13 pm

Howdy 'Critic,

Any thoughts on the upcoming consoles (Wii and PS3)?  I'm hopeful that the Wii's motion sensitive remote won't be a gimmick (it's the first console I've actually bothered to preorder, it better not be a dud.)  I don't think I'll jump on the PS3 bandwagon anytime soon, got a '360 to take care of my next-gen graphics cravings.  Your thoughts...

andrew

Postby andrew » October 31st, 2006, 9:04 am

The appeal of the Wii six months ago was appealing to me, but now i'm not so sure I can play  game without a trusty traditional controller. The 360 has nothing I like and the PS3 is (hopefully not) shaping up to be a novelty paperweight. For me to even consider a PS3, they have to drop the six axis motion crap and give back force feedback. To the moron at Sony who said force feedback was last gen: your an idiot. The use of the six axis controller will be so limited and I'd rather fly a plane or drive a car with the analog sticks because I know i'd get more responsive control.

Sticking to the trusty PS2 for at least another year with some n64 gaming on the side.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » October 31st, 2006, 10:34 am

[QUOTE=andrew]For me to even consider a PS3, they have to drop the six axis motion crap and give back force feedback. To the moron at Sony who said force feedback was last gen: your an idiot. The use of the six axis controller will be so limited and I'd rather fly a plane or drive a car with the analog sticks because I know i'd get more responsive control.
[/QUOTE]
Gald someone else realizes what a bad idea this is.  Wow, you took out something that potentially helps in racing games, one of the biggest genres on the PS2, just so you can include a novelty that is the ONLY way you can easily look worse than Nintendo when consumers compare side by side. 

Think about it: if they get people wanting tilt type games and then those consumers come in and see a $250 Wii next to a $600 PS3, they might actually think about just settling on the Wii.  When they compare a tilt controller that has a speaker, flash memory, force feedback, and that is actually shaped like something you would swing around, with a controller with no feedback that handles as well as something shaped like nothing handles, it'll be a no brainer.  Really, the Wiimote can be held like a golf club, like a bat, like a sword, like a gun, like a knife, like a fishing rod, etc.  The PS3 remote can, maybe do a slightly better job of being motorcycle handles (which a sideways wiimote can still do pretty well) a plane (a sideways wiimote isn't to far off, and neither is it when held like a paper plane), and, yes, definitely the sword thing Worf uses on Star Trek.  That's it.  They're setting themselves up to look worse than the Wii in the only possible way they can.  They should have ignored the Wiimote.  They're competing with the 360, not the Wii.

Just think of playing Madden on both.  You can throw with the remote on the Wii while controlling with the, stationary, analogue, or you can whip back the very controller you're controlling the quarterback with and toss it forward while trying to keep him straight with the PS3.  Oh yeah, the PS3 option sounds comfortable.  If playing the 360 Madden you get no silly tacked on "competing with the Wii" control ruining everything, and you actually feel the tackle.  How does the PS3 look better than either option now?

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 31st, 2006, 10:34 am

I hate jumping into these posts that are clearly geared towards the critic but I can't figure out people who say "there is nothing on the 360 I like" when just about every genre is covered pretty well. What are you people looking for?

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 31st, 2006, 2:48 pm

[QUOTE=Shawn]

I hate jumping into these posts that are clearly geared towards the critic but I can't figure out people who say "there is nothing on the 360 I like" when just about every genre is covered pretty well. What are you people looking for?

[/QUOTE]

The library is terribly thin for people that just aren't willing to buy the new console.  Sure Marvel Ultimate Alliance looks spiffy on the 360, but I can still play the exact same game on the xbox.  Bottom line is that there are way too many sports game, FPS, and racing titles on the 360.  Here are just a few genres that need to be addressed.  Again just because one genre has one game in it doesn't mean that the genre is "covered."  You have to think outside of personal tastes on a subject like this.  Everybody likes different games and bottom line is that there just aren't enough options on the 360.

RPG
Action RPG
Strategy RPG
Japanese RPG
2D fighters
3D fighters
Platformers
Action Adventures
Puzzle Games
Arcade Style Games
Adventure
Survival Horror
3rd Person Shooters
2D shooters

This is a pretty big list of genres that the 360 doesn't have covered.  As a gamer I am not happy at all with the 360's lineup at all.  Its too much like the orginal xbox...too many ports, and zero exclusive content.  I'm not saying that they won't iron out this problem, because in a few years it could have the best lineup in the next generation...thats what I'm hoping for.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 31st, 2006, 3:42 pm

Well JLH you have convinced me to sell my 360!!!! The system stinks!!!!!

You are right, EVERY genre is not covered so I guess if you are looking for 2d platformers you should look elsewhere. Keep in mind  a ton of older XBox games can be played on the 360 which may fill the gaps. Nonetheless, I love my 360 and in fact have just traded in my old Xbox and my DS b/c I just couldn't make time for those systems. I do think they should have more RPG's but I think help is on the way in the form of Mass Effect and others. You do make some good points, but I still love the 360 and think it was a worthwhile purchase.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » October 31st, 2006, 3:47 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]RPG
Action RPG
Strategy RPG
Japanese RPG
2D fighters
3D fighters
Platformers
Action Adventures
Puzzle Games
Arcade Style Games
Adventure
Survival Horror
3rd Person Shooters
2D shooters

This is a pretty big list of genres that the 360 doesn't have covered.  As a gamer I am not happy at all with the 360's lineup at all.  Its too much like the orginal xbox...too many ports, and zero exclusive content.  I'm not saying that they won't iron out this problem, because in a few years it could have the best lineup in the next generation...thats what I'm hoping for.
[/QUOTE]

Well in all fairness, it does have Oblivion, which is a Western RPG in the truest sense of the world.  It also has Condemned, which if not a Survival Horror title, I don't know what else to call it.  And Alan Wake is coming out for the 360, which looks to be an AWESOME survival horror game.

Survival horror is my favorite genre.  I think the 360 is definitely headed in the right direction, but it's no PS2 yet.

Shawn

Postby Shawn » October 31st, 2006, 4:20 pm

And for puzzle games there is Lumines Live and a few other live arcade titles.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 31st, 2006, 4:36 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]

[I think the 360 is definitely headed in the right direction, but it's no PS2 yet.

[/QUOTE]

You're right, it's far better. 

I've played my 360 far more than I have my PS2 and I've got way more games for the PS2 than my 360.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » October 31st, 2006, 5:02 pm

[QUOTE] RPG
Action RPG
Strategy RPG
Japanese RPG
2D fighters
3D fighters
Platformers
Action Adventures
Puzzle Games
Arcade Style Games
Adventure
Survival Horror
3rd Person Shooters
2D shooters
[/QUOTE]

LOL 2-d shooters!?  And what exactly is battle for middle earth?  That's an RTS, meaning a strat rpg and pretty good from what I've heard.  Adventure?  Like kameo, dead rising I don't get it the term is to vague you go on adventures in most any game.  And the market place has puzzle, arcade, and even a few 2-d fighters.  And re5, alone in the dark are slated for 360 release and look awesome and dead rising and condemned are all ready out.  Lost planet looks to eb the meanest third person shooter since re4 and it again is 360 only.  And what about gears of war?  So what's left crappy Jrpgs?  Well it's getting like three of them within the few months if you actually play that trash.  Mass effect looks to be the best rpg ever and is a 360 only game.  Face it jlh the 360 is becoming a very well stocked system, no you can't play fruity stuff like elibits or raving rabbids but I'm sure the rest will make up for that tragic loss. 

Return to “Video Games General”