Blast Corps (N64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retrology

Blast Corps (N64)

Postby Retrology » April 2nd, 2016, 4:13 pm

Got this game on Thursday, and I can't describe how much I love this game in complete detail.

The combination of arcade action and puzzle solving feels surprisingly authentic. The vehicles (my favorite being the J Bomb) aren't easy to control, but that adds to the tension as you're trying to clear anything in front of the nuclear truck. Best of all, it's so much fun.

Even 19 years later, the amount of polish and attention to detail is remarkable, with zero clipping or distance fog. The music is great, and there's loads of variety and secrets in this game.

It's a shame Blast Corps isn't as celebrated as Rare's other games, because this is Rare at its best. A truly under appreciated timeless masterpiece and an N64 classic.

Thoughts?

tortimer

Re: Blast Corps (N64)

Postby tortimer » October 11th, 2016, 2:22 pm

For some reason there were a lot of N64 titles that were never on my radar during that time period and Blast Corps was one of them. I remember learning about it a few years ago and watching videos on YouTube. It's one of those lesser known unique titles I'd like to play one day (or possibly see a remake on handheld).

Retrology

Postby Retrology » March 22nd, 2017, 1:16 am

Fired this up again. I think it should be in consideration for a possible re-review from the VGC because it's just as fun today as it was in '97. It's easy enough that casual gamers can now through and have a good time, but completing everything and finding all the secrets is a challenge.

For my money, one of my top 10 favorite N64 games.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » March 27th, 2017, 7:57 pm

I have it on the rare collection on the xbox 1. It is fabbo. It was another game that I just could not get a hold of when I had an N64 back in the day. A classy title. It always reminded me of thunderbirds.. which I loved as a child.

Return to “Now Playing”