2017/4/4: Wii U: Wii Sports Club

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/4/4: Wii U: Wii Sports Club

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2017, 9:48 pm

This was pretty hard to review. Let me know how I did.

BlasteroidAli

Re: 2017/4/4: Wii U: Wii Sports Club

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 5th, 2017, 12:20 am

The wii sold a hundred million units. Wii sports is said to have sold 80 million units.

The wii u has clocked up sales of 11 million units.... so of course this game will not be able to have the same impact.

I played the wii one and did not like it.. though I do not like sports games. I would probably be more into the wii u one. Well I guess I will never know now.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » April 5th, 2017, 9:20 am

I think it's a fine review. I think it tells me everything I need to know pretty much.

I wonder though, if the real reason Nintendo implemented those controls in baseball to prevent throwing motions towards the tv. Interesting, because by the time this game came out, I think gamers got the idea to be careful. They also could have had those controls to show off the gamepad. Either way, the controls for baseball sound pretty lame. Interesting to check out the first time, but seem like they would get boring, like you said. The way the gamepad is used for golf also seems like an interesting way to use the gamepad, but not necessary.

Overall, good review for a revolutionary game that most likely got this sequel to take advantage of online play. The new mini-games do look nice, especially golf bingo. I still play both wii sports and wii sports resort once in a while, and this game was on my radar for a while. Seems like there wouldn't be much to enjoy if I have played the other wii sports games. I can't imagine what this costs now.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » April 5th, 2017, 2:20 pm

CharlieR wrote:I can't imagine what this costs now.

It goes for between $60-$80 typically for complete copies.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 5th, 2017, 11:40 pm

MoarRipter wrote:

I was surprised by this a few months ago. It's one Wii U game that I want, that I'll never bother grabbing unless I stumble across it or Nintendo surprises everyone with another round of Nintendo Selects rereleases this year for their now dead console.

$10 for golf off the eShop has ended up my substitute. Golf was my favorite part of the original, and this one is the most upgraded and expanded of the bunch with added content. Bowling is tempting, but as best as I could tell from the demo, beyond HD graphics it doesn't offer much of anything that I care about that Wii Sports Resort didn't already offer with their Motion Plus upgrade to bowling.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 6th, 2017, 6:49 pm

Atariboy wrote:
MoarRipter wrote:

I was surprised by this a few months ago. It's one Wii U game that I want, that I'll never bother grabbing unless I stumble across it or Nintendo surprises everyone with another round of Nintendo Selects rereleases this year for their now dead console.

$10 for golf off the eShop has ended up my substitute. Golf was my favorite part of the original, and this one is the most upgraded and expanded of the bunch with added content. Bowling is tempting, but as best as I could tell from the demo, beyond HD graphics it doesn't offer much of anything that I care about that Wii Sports Resort didn't already offer with their Motion Plus upgrade to bowling.

Golf was my favorite on Wii Sports Resort. What kind of upgrades and expansions are you referring to? Also why the heck is this game so expensive? I would assume this would've been a cheap and easy game to pick up.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 6th, 2017, 11:32 pm

Tron wrote:Golf was my favorite on Wii Sports Resort. What kind of upgrades and expansions are you referring to? Also why the heck is this game so expensive? I would assume this would've been a cheap and easy game to pick up.

Besides retaining the Motion Plus control enhancements that Resort brought to the formula, the gamepad screen enhanced the control even further. The game isn't just about the power of your swing now. You also have to deal with the angle of your club and where you strike the ball, which is where the gamepad screen on the floor comes in. Adds a lot more complexity to the experience.

Content-wise, you get three golf courses to just the single course in the original. You get the classic 9 holes, Resort's 9 holes, and a brand new 9 hole course called Lakeside.

As for the expense, I assume it just saw a small print run. Nintendo pushed these digitally with a free demo, a rental system, and the ability to buy each individual game for $10 if you didn't want it all (Boxing and baseball were sold bundled for $10, a testament to most people's low opinion of these two). It didn't even hit retail until everything had slowly been rolled out digitally over the better part of a year.

Between the console's small install base, the digital push with this title that left the late physical release an afterthought for many potential customers, and likely a bit of Wii Sports fatigue with gamers that perhaps thought this was just an HD upgrade being sold for $40 with no other additions, I doubt Nintendo pressed many copies.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 12th, 2017, 12:04 am

Most excellent answer Atariboy! Thank you. I've got the Wii U, but it's pretty much just for the kids. Like you said I've got some Wii fatigue. I'm thinking though that maybe I should pick this game up now. Sounds like one of those games that will go up in price over the years and although I'm not feeling it now 5 years from now I rather like the idea of playing an updated version of Wii Golf. I certainly don't want to be paying $100 for it.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » April 12th, 2017, 4:21 pm

I really like the Golf on Wii Sports Club. It's unique, there's really nothing else like it that I've ever seen. It's one of the reasons the Wii U, more so than any other console, is a console that I can never bring myself to get rid of. The games had unique gimmicks and play styles that we may never see again.

Return to “Review Feedback”