Got a Nintendo Switch!

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Got a Nintendo Switch!

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2017, 5:30 pm

So on a whim I stopped by my Best Buy during lunch to see if they had any Nintendo Switches, and the guys whispered to me "we have it" like he didn't want to start a riot.

Although I wanted to get a game and screen protector to go with it, my first priority was buying the damn thing so I went up to the register to take care of business. It's a pretty small box actually.

The funny thing is, I'm still waiting for the Wii U version of Zelda to arrive from Amazon. I ordered it over two weeks ago. They've had all kinds of problems getting it to me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Got a Nintendo Switch!

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 13th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Any game recommendations? You know I like physical media.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 13th, 2017, 6:37 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Any game recommendations? You know I like physical media.

Here are some retail recommendations from March to June range, but be warned their are not many exclusives/interesting games so here goes nothing.

Super Bomberman R (exclusive, but has mix reviews, but you may want to try it and like it more.)

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (because the Wii U version has not came to your house yet, you may want to consider picking up this version as it is slightly better/more readily available.)

1-2-Switch (Mini Game collection, but not all that good, but you may like it more compared to critics?)

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ (A port of the downloadable game on retail card)

Has-Been Heroes (An Action, roguelike, strategy game also on PC/PS4/Xbox One)

Lego City Undercover(Remastered port of the 2013 Wii U game of the same name)

Puyo Puyo Tetris (A cross-over of Puyo Puyo aka Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and Tetris, previously Japan only, but soon to be released in the western countries.)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Remastered update of the Wii U game Mario Kart 8 with all DLC/new content).

Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (Another update of Street Fighter II based on the 2008 HD remix version from the PS3/Xbox 360.)

Arms (Fighting game exclusive to the console)

Cave Story+ (Another port of the downloadable game on retail card)

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 13th, 2017, 9:11 pm

Dave, you should have at least waited until Super Mario GTA came out.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » April 13th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Definitely, definitely get Zelda if you're willing to shell out for two versions of the game. You HAVE reviewed multiple versions of games in the past, so it might be nice to compare them.

I think Binding of Isaac is great no matter which version you get, but it strikes me as a game you'd like less than most people because it practically requires you to look up every item you come across to find out what it does. If you're willing to stomach that, it can turn into a major time-suck.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is coming out soon, and since you gave a positive review of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (a localization of the first Puyo Puyo game), I imagine you'll enjoy this one too. It really is perfect for local multiplayer and the gameplay isn't overly complicated yet requires genuine skill at the same time.

Fast RMX is a ludicrously fast F-Zero esque racing game with a "change colors at specific times to get a speed boost" gimmick and is quite enjoyable, but it, like many of the other hidden gems in the Switch's library, is download-only.

Apologies in advance for getting on my soapbox, but: as hard as it may be to come to terms to, not every developer has the clout or the budget to do a physical release of their game. In some rare cases there are more cynical motives behind making a game download-only, but these are most certainly in the minority. The games in the physical release thread tend to be either games that only received one after they became extremely popular on downloadable platforms (Shovel Knight, Stardew Valley, etc.) or limited editions from companies that specialize in niche titles. Ignoring download-only games means ignoring quality (albeit mostly non-exclusive) titles you can download on the Switch right now like the aforementioned Fast RMX, World of Goo, Snipperclips, Voez, Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, Blaster Master Zero, Snake Pass, and plenty more to come in the future, all because not every independent game company can afford to shell out to have their game published on a cartridge that may or may not be worth such an investment.

Again, apologies for rambling, but I think allowing oneself to open up to the possibility of downloadable games really does do a much better job at revealing the potential of the Switch than being limited to the bigger-budget physical copies does.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 14th, 2017, 1:35 am

eneuman96 wrote:Again, apologies for rambling, but I think allowing oneself to open up to the possibility of downloadable games really does do a much better job at revealing the potential of the Switch than being limited to the bigger-budget physical copies does.

Physical media are his preference, not a hard rule.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » April 14th, 2017, 7:53 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:The funny thing is, I'm still waiting for the Wii U version of Zelda to arrive from Amazon. I ordered it over two weeks ago. They've had all kinds of problems getting it to me.

The same thing happened to me. I ordered it off Amazon on the day it released for pre-order. Then Amazon canceled it for no reason. I ordered it again from Amazon and on the actual release day they delayed it for 3 weeks. I canceled the order and went to Best Buy on release day and got it. It was horrible because I was down with the stomach bug thanks to my son, but I wanted that game so badly. Also, I didnt puke in the middle of best buy so that was good.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 14th, 2017, 9:22 am

I think you should return the Wii U version of Zelda and pick up the Switch version. I'm sure they're probably near identical, but the Switch review will get a lot more reader interest and, plus, then you'll actually have something interesting to review for the Switch than the other trash games that are out now.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » April 14th, 2017, 10:14 am

I disagree, keep the Wii U version of Zelda. It may be plentiful in stores right now but wait a few years and it may become rare to see it in physical form and may command ridiculously high prices on the G-D f'n scalper market, as Nintendo games often do.

Also a second recommendation for Fast RMX. That is one of the better games on the Switch right now. Shame it's digital only but $20 is well worth it to play such a great game. It's really fun to pop out the kickstand, set the Switch on the table, slide off the joycons, hand one to a friend and play some two player racing right there. It feels a lot like a f-Zero game. Speaking of digital only games on the Switch I also like Blaster Master Zero (remake of the old NES game) and I've been having fun with Neo Turf Masters but I love golf games. There are quite a few Neo Geo ports on the Switch but no other virtual console titles yet. Some people think that with the discontinuation of the NES Classic the NES VC games are coming soon.

Enjoy the Switch! I think it's a great concept, I'm having more fun with it than the same old same old boring "look at our new Xbox with moar pixels!" yawnful competitor consoles that keep releasing the same games over and over every generation. 1-2 Switch is even a fun game but you have to have somebody to play it with, it is multiplayer-only.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » April 14th, 2017, 11:12 am

I think the Switch will mainly have downloadable-only titles... However, of the physical games that are available now, only Zelda, Bomberman R and Puyo Puyo Tetris look nice. I think you can skip all te rest until Super Mario Odyssey comes out...

Return to “Video Games General”