R.I.P. NES Classic (Thanks, Nintendo!)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
GTS

Re: R.I.P. NES Classic (Thanks, Nintendo!)

Postby GTS » April 14th, 2017, 5:21 pm

It's a bone-headed move that does not benefit anyone. I doubt it was because of people hacking the console, because the Wii and 3DS have been hacked too.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 14th, 2017, 7:09 pm

I doubt it, not with a new system to push this Christmas.

I only ever saw six of these in-store, and it was 6AM on the morning it launched. Luckily, I was #6 in line and got mine. An online order also was successful at launch, so I've seen a grand total of seven of these in-person.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 15th, 2017, 7:28 am

Come this summer I will be getting a raspberry pi and will be making my own retro system so I can play these nes games again.

I saw this and thought it was possibly the stupidest decision they had made since the Virtual Boy.

I have only seen one of them. I was thinking of getting one of these. It would have been my first Nintendo product in years.. well since my bottle of sprite killed my ds. Loved the ds.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 15th, 2017, 9:40 am

I really wanted one of these but was unwilling and unable to spend time going from store to store at all hours of the day. Nintendo is clueless.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 15th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Yeah, same here. And I refused to buy one at more than retail price thinking that eventually they'd be in the store and easy to pick up at some point. Who knew Nintendo was this dumb?

In my humble opinion the notion that people were turning them to emulator machines with 800 games is the reason why they stopped selling them doesn't pass the smell test. If you want an emulator machine you can grab a raspberry pi and do the same thing. Heck, if you're really lazy about it you can order one from someone else to do the setup (that's what I did).

There's not a logicial reason behind this. I know memory is getting harder to find with Samsung and Apple buying up most of the quantities. We've been having sourcing issues for our products at work but that really can't have anything to do with it. I know supply parts and quanities can factor into things but you plan this stuff out months in advance so that shouldn't be it (at least in theory). What a cluster.

People want your product and you refuse to make more to sell it to them. Dumb Nintendo, dumb

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 15th, 2017, 4:06 pm

There's always some dedicated hobbyists that like to think that there are hundreds of thousands, or even millions of customers just waiting for an exploit to take advantage of to turn their system into an emulation machine. The truth though is that the few people doing this simply aren't the ones that are paying $5 a NES game off Nintendo's eShop in the first place.

I've even seen the PSP with over 80 million units sold described as a failure by some, since they proclaim that 95% of those sales went to people with no interest in PSP software that just wanted to mod it to turn it into an emulation machine to play NES games and the like.

I'd be surprised if 1000 NES Classic Editions ultimately have been modded in North America. And I'd bet money if an answer was possible to confirm, that it's definitely under 5000. It's a drop in the ocean for Nintendo with zero threat to Virtual Console sales and the like, and one that could've easily been closed if they had wanted to.

All they had to do was cut the USB port traces so it was just the power port that Nintendo said it was before release, if Nintendo actually viewed it as a threat. Not a reason to discontinue the machine when the entryway was so trivial to close up.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 15th, 2017, 6:04 pm

I guess now is a good time to sell mine. Lol. I may list it and see if I can get some decent money towards a Switch. Helps that I have a the longer cords, a wireless controller, and a surprisingly well made Nintendo backpack....we'll see.

Turns out, I use it only to play SMB3, so I can get that via switch Virtual console.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » April 16th, 2017, 9:43 am

MoarRipter wrote:It sucks that they cancelled it but I can understand why. Blame the hackers. They had to ruin a good thing as usual. Nintendo blindly and naively made the thing far too easy to hack. They put a giant button on the front to make it load into FEL mode for cripes sake. Nintendo could've avoided that by not transmitting data over the USB port and only using it for power but I imagine they used the USB port in the way they did to have an easy way to fix broken Classics. And it wasn't good enough for the hackers to make it possible to load every NES and Famicom title on the machine, then they had to go further and load Genesis and SNES and a wide range of other systems on it just to prove that they could. And with no way to update the firmware on the thing once it's sold, Nintendo wasn't going to continue to allow that to happen.

I certainly can't argue that this isn't at least part of the reason they would have stopped making these (because honestly, as much in demand the decision completely baffles me), but I don't understand how people modding the console would cause Nintendo to pull them. Nintendo is selling the console one way or the other, whether the end consumer uses it to load up other ROM's or to play soccer with or to use as a door stop shouldn't matter to Nintendo one way or the other. It's not like they made it thinking they would release 'game packs' or something that was intended to be a continuing revenue stream that might be taking a hit by the hacking. It was sold as a one-time stand-alone device, with no intention by Nintendo to make any more money than that which they made from the purchase of the console alone. The fact that people found new ways to make them more enjoyable to me should be irrelevant to Nintendo?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » April 16th, 2017, 11:58 am

It is about 80 pounds in London.. which is about 100 bucks.

Amazon,com has it for 325 bucks new! The profiteers have landed. Enjoy it America,

scotland

Postby scotland » April 16th, 2017, 12:41 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:It is about 80 pounds in London.. which is about 100 bucks.

Amazon,com has it for 325 bucks new! The profiteers have landed. Enjoy it America,

That same $100 will get you a full raspberry pi system too.

Return to “Modern Gaming”