Best Buy ticket system?

General and high profile video game topics.
newmodelarmy

Best Buy ticket system?

Postby newmodelarmy » April 25th, 2017, 4:24 am

So my wife was kind of enough to run over to our local Best Buy yesterday in hopes of grabbing a NES classic. She was about 8th in line but when she got in the stock was given away to customers who already had "tickets". Does anybody have any idea how this works? I would think that tickets would have been handed out to those customers that were in line but that doesn't seem to be the case. Very strange. One thing is for sure, I will not waste my time looking for the SNES classic. I am not the biggest fan of Nintendo and the situation with the NES classic does not improve their standing with me.How about just make enough of the darn things????

Rookie1

Re: Best Buy ticket system?

Postby Rookie1 » April 25th, 2017, 9:07 am

From what I gather people had been in line since like 4am, and even earlier. Tickets were handed out super early, and the general consensus was that only 7 were handed out per store. You might have got the shaft at #8 in line.

With that said, I didnt even bother with this thing. I looked when it first came out, thinking it would be plentiful, but after the first few days I could see that Nintendo screwed the pooch (again).

This is the reason I havent bought a "new" console from them since the N64. I wait out the hype and get their stuff second hand on the cheap. In all honesty, I kind of just want them to go away. I go down the game aisle and every other brand has shelves packed full of games and consoles, then you get to Nintendo and their shelves are empty and filled with dust. Been that way for years now too. Waste of space if you ask me.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 25th, 2017, 12:36 pm

When I went to get my Classic in November I arrived at Bestbuy 2 hours early and was 8th in line. Two weird things:

--after 40 people showed up, they announced that they only had a "some", but wouldn't say how many. Turns out they had 7.

--they had apparently given tickets to some folks who showed up like 4 hours early. Nobody knew this until those folks showed up like 10 minutes before they opened and went straight into the store.

I was pissed. If you only have 7, then tell everyone so they won't waste their time.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 25th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Also, I'm selling mine (just don't play it enough and kids aren't interested). If anyone like to purchase it from me, just shoot me a message. Otherwise, it's headed to Amazon..

GTS

Postby GTS » April 25th, 2017, 5:25 pm

I've waited in line at many of these ticket events. You most likely you got there after they handed the tickets out. The ticket system is the best way to go about it, because without them people turn into animals and try to jump in front of you. I've seen it happen. With tickets you know you are entitled to the system, and can go back out to the car and chill. Unfortunately, as more people arrive, the employees don't tell them that the tickets have already been handled out; at least not upon their arrival.

Nintendo is to blame here since they never keep enough stock of anything anymore.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 25th, 2017, 8:52 pm

GTS wrote:I've waited in line at many of these ticket events. You most likely you got there after they handed the tickets out. The ticket system is the best way to go about it, because without them people turn into animals and try to jump in front of you. I've seen it happen. With tickets you know you are entitled to the system, and can go back out to the car and chill. Unfortunately, as more people arrive, the employees don't tell them that the tickets have already been handled out; at least not upon their arrival.

Nintendo is to blame here since they never keep enough stock of anything anymore.

YEah, I agree. The ticket system works well and is vastly better than the Meele I've seen on TV. I would never participate in anything like that. The dumb part was the employees just letting people stand around without telling them that (1) they used tickets and (2) the tickets were already handed out.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » April 27th, 2017, 6:28 am

Ya its too bad I thought the NES classic would be cool. I will not even bother with the SNES Classic. I just don't understand why Nintendo cannot produce enough of these things. Even on the high side I would guess that they sold about 3 million of these things? Crazy stupid.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » April 29th, 2017, 12:03 am

People keep talking like Nintendo is almost "accidentally" ending production of the NES Classic, and that seems like a weird assumption to me. If the thing is still selling well, and they are ENDING production, it's obvious to me that their intentions are different than people assume. I think the NES Classic was meant to boost morale towards Nintendo leading up to the release of the Switch. And now that the switch is out and it's Virtual Console is on the way, they probably don't want to draw attention and sales away from the switch. They may have underestimated its popularity, but that doesn't explain ENDING production. That's when you would normally ramp up production. So to assume that Nintendo dropped the ball here seems a bit misled to me. Dropping the ball would result in an eventual boost in production...not an END of production...

Rev

Postby Rev » April 29th, 2017, 10:44 am

Voor wrote:
GTS wrote:I've waited in line at many of these ticket events. You most likely you got there after they handed the tickets out. The ticket system is the best way to go about it, because without them people turn into animals and try to jump in front of you. I've seen it happen. With tickets you know you are entitled to the system, and can go back out to the car and chill. Unfortunately, as more people arrive, the employees don't tell them that the tickets have already been handled out; at least not upon their arrival.

YEah, I agree. The ticket system works well and is vastly better than the Meele I've seen on TV. I would never participate in anything like that. The dumb part was the employees just letting people stand around without telling them that (1) they used tickets and (2) the tickets were already handed out.

Yeah worked in retail for six years and people are beasts when they want something. You showed up late to the party. Now one thing- best buy needs to communicate that there is no point in waiting in line to those that don't know... That's pretty rude if they can't even do that.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » April 30th, 2017, 7:31 am

Why would they tell people there is no more, essentially making them leave, when they could have a flood of people poor in to the store and potentially make other purchases?

Return to “Video Games General”