Burning Super CD games

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Burning Super CD games

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 28th, 2017, 1:29 pm

I was looking for Camp California (Turbo Duo) on Ebay and there's one copy for $400+. This is clearly one of these holy grail games out of everybody's price range.

So I investigated to see if I could burn the ROM myself to CD, but the search led me to a bunch of questionable sites that would probably infect my computer if I tried to download from any of them. Why do ROM sites have to be so sketchy?

Anyway if anyone has had any luck burning rare games for the Turbo Duo I'd like to hear from you.

gametime

Re: Burning Super CD games

Postby gametime » May 28th, 2017, 2:15 pm

Rom sites remind me of back alleys. Go at your own peril. :lol:

Sorry not a rare game in my book. Years ago a friend and I burned a copy of Bonk 3 on CD. Just to try out on an emulator, PC "Magic" Engine. It played fine. Used Nero at the time.

Figuring that Sega and regular Turbo CDs are completely burnable and Super CD games fit the same era it would make sense.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 28th, 2017, 5:51 pm

I'm very leery of ROM sites as well, and quite frankly don't know anything about downloading ROMs and creating the disks. And I'm too lazy to learn. If you're in the same boat, I think the best bet is to find a friend (in real life or online) who is willing to do the dirty work for you for a small fee.

When I need a super rare game and I'm not willing to pay the price, I generally resort to reproduction copies that I buy online. Usually $15 or less. Most are very well down, with some game artwork on the disc (i.e., not just a blank CD-R with the game on it). I rarely need to go this route, because I prefer the original copy, except in the most extreme circumstances. But I've done it recently with a few Sega CD and CD-i games. I'm content to pay $15 for a repro of Keoi Flying Squadron, rather than scouring ROM sites. Definitely beats paying $1200 for the real thing.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » May 29th, 2017, 7:00 am

I usually use coolroms or emuparadise. Both of those sites have been around forever. I think emuparadise is the better of the two. I burned a bunch of 3DO games from them that I had no desire to pay large sums of money for.

strat

Postby strat » May 29th, 2017, 10:46 am

For an emulator you can mount the cd image on a virtual drive like Daemon Tools - some emulators will load the cd-rom image directly and others want a "real" cd. I've done that before to play some Turbografx/PCE and Saturn games.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » May 29th, 2017, 11:17 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was looking for Camp California (Turbo Duo) on Ebay and there's one copy for $400+. This is clearly one of these holy grail games out of everybody's price range.

So I investigated to see if I could burn the ROM myself to CD, but the search led me to a bunch of questionable sites that would probably infect my computer if I tried to download from any of them. Why do ROM sites have to be so sketchy?

Anyway if anyone has had any luck burning rare games for the Turbo Duo I'd like to hear from you.

Just have an adblocker and decent antivirus installed and you should be fine. But it can be a hassle to track down Turbo Duo roms. I downloaded Rondo of Blood, Lords of Thunder and Gates of Thunder from rom sites not too long ago.

I think that these sites are "sketchy" because it costs money to maintain them, and they have to pay for it somehow. Since distributing roms is legally dubious, they're not going to get much legit advertising.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 29th, 2017, 6:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote: So I investigated to see if I could burn the ROM myself to CD

You might need to look for "ISO images" at a place like "theisozone", instead of 'ROMS'. To burn the CD, you could use something like IMGburn. I've never burned a turboduo game, but I would hazard this should be sufficient.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 29th, 2017, 9:21 pm

With everything already said, the only thing I want to throw in there is use high quality CDs if you are going to play burned games on your Turbo CD. Don't use the cheap stuff as it'll wear out your Turbo CD quicker. This is the only system I haven't done it for since the console tends to be quite fragile. Some people swear by it though and since the console is so pricey it is definitely a valid option compared to forking out hundreds of dollars for some games.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 29th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Also... like Scotland said, for CDs typically you need to burn the image to the CD instead of just dropping a Rom file onto it. I use ImgBurn for my Saturn not sure if that works for TCD though.

Return to “Classic Gaming”