2017/5/29: Game Boy: Battletoads, Arcade Classic 4: Defender & Joust

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

2017/5/29: Game Boy: Battletoads, Arcade Classic 4: Defender & Joust

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Battletoads is a new Game Boy review, but Arcade Classic 4 is a re-review.

So I was playing Arcade Classic 4 (Defender and Joust) on my Game Boy Player (GameCube). I was really impressed with the gameplay, despite the modest graphics. Then I go to post my review and I see I already reviewed it in 2014! So I'm looking at that review and it looks nothing like the game I just played. Eventually I discovered I had reviewed it on the Super Game Boy (SNES) which offers a dramatically different experience!

I think I prefer the newer review, which focuses more on the original game but also makes mention of the Super Game Boy features. I even display the alternate screenshot for contrast. It's amazing how Game Boy carts offer completely different experiences depending on what platform you play it on!

CaptainCruch

Re: 2017/5/29: Game Boy: Battletoads, Arcade Classic 4: Defender & Joust

Postby CaptainCruch » May 29th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Why do you refuse to play Zelda: Link's Awakening?

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » May 29th, 2017, 2:25 pm

I actually prefer the Game Boy Battletoads to the NES version because it's the only Battletoads game I can beat legitimately. It's still a difficult game, but even the hardest parts of the Game Boy version are considerably tamer than Karnath's Lair or Clinger Winger from the NES version. There's also a Game Boy port of the NES version called Battletoads in Ragnarok's World, but it has a sizable chunk of the levels cut out.

gametime

Postby gametime » May 29th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Well written reviews. Seems worth the time tracking down the Arcade Classic 4: Defender & Joust to try with the Super GameBoy adaptor.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 29th, 2017, 9:00 pm

I just bought Arcade Classics 4: Defender and Joust the other week. They definitely have a twitchy arcade feel. Given the limited tech in a Gameboy, these really do compete well with the host of Defender clones we saw in the 80s, except for the lack of color. The death into a thousand pixels is wonderfully dramatic.

I'll have to play with the difficulty settings in Joust you mention. Right now, I'm seeing this screen far too often

joust_game_over.JPG
joust_game_over.JPG (19.95 KiB) Viewed 3648 times

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 29th, 2017, 10:01 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:Why do you refuse to play Zelda: Link's Awakening?

I will as soon as you become a patron!
https://www.patreon.com/videogamecritic
;)

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » May 29th, 2017, 11:39 pm

eneuman96 wrote:I actually prefer the Game Boy Battletoads to the NES version because it's the only Battletoads game I can beat legitimately. It's still a difficult game, but even the hardest parts of the Game Boy version are considerably tamer than Karnath's Lair or Clinger Winger from the NES version. There's also a Game Boy port of the NES version called Battletoads in Ragnarok's World, but it has a sizable chunk of the levels cut out.

I can beat NES Battletoads. Never played the Game Boy version.

Clinger Winger takes some practice, but isn't too bad as long as you're playing on a CRT television with no lag.

I always take the shortcut at the end of Karnath's Lair. I've tried beating it without using the shortcut and couldn't do it.That is inedeed a tough stage.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » May 29th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Battletoads for the Gameboy is the reason I no longer have my original Grey Brick Gameboy lol I raged so hard at the hoverbike level that I literally threw it out my window down to our driveway and broke it when I was 11. The NES version made me rage as well I broke at least 1 or 2 controllers because of that game. Thank god I don't rage on video games anymore with how expensive stuff is now.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » May 30th, 2017, 10:38 am

Thank you for the Game Boy reviews; it was the 1st system that was actually "mine," so I have a soft spot for it.

That Super Game Boy Defender looks awesome; I'd like a Super Game Boy or a Game Boy player, but I'd need SNES or GC, and I'm a bit too cheap to collect systems.

Return to “Review Feedback”