Retron 5 Death Grip?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Retron 5 Death Grip?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 14th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Got my Retron 5 today - the black one.
I'm pleased to report that while the carts are a little snug, they do not appear to suffer from the "death grip" problem.

Setting this thing up was a bit of an adventure, but once you get rolling the games look and sound GREAT.
I have the Game Gear adapter, and Ecco looks SO much better on this thing. Plus I could hear dolphin sound effects I didn't even notice on the normal system.

I'm writing down all my notes so I can post one big review.

crimefighter

Postby crimefighter » June 14th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Perhaps the slots need "broken in" to where they are reshaped slightly when the carts are sitting in them. I know the Game Genie had a slightly thicker board which pushed the connectors apart and make regular NES carts not connect correctly.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » June 17th, 2017, 5:48 pm

I'm glad you like the Retron 5. I really loved it as well. I think with practice you get better at pulling out the carts. A word of warning though I don't recommend playing repro carts in it. They work but feels like your going to break the main board when you pull them out.

My only minor gripe about the console is games with dithering look horrid in hd.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 17th, 2017, 7:34 pm

I just wanted to say: what a bizarre issue! Why in the world is this such a common issue among these kinds of systems? I had a Retro Duo and it was fantastic....except that it tried its best to deny me the ability to switch our cartridges.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 5th, 2017, 2:21 pm

I hope this hardware based solution that the makers of the Retron 5 just announced, doesn't have the death grip issue.

It's the Super Retron HD, an HDMI equipped hardware based Super Nintendo clone. Picture the SuperNes side of something like the Retro Duo (Which after some early flaws were corrected, was darn close to being 100%), with the RGB signals that SNES-on-a-chip's are capable of outputting being sent to an internal scaler and outputted via HDMI.

For those that just can't justify buying a XRGB to enjoy their original SNES on their HDTV with optimal video quality, this has several potential advantages over competing emulation based machines. The potential is there for less input lag, greater compatibility, no wait times while your games are dumped to internal memory, and the potential to support accessories such as cheat devices, flash cartridges, and the Super Game Boy.

And judging by comparable products, we're looking at a price tag around $50. Hopefully they deliver.

Return to “Video Games General”