Is it possible to transfer PS1 Classics from one PS3 to another?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
astrodomekid

Is it possible to transfer PS1 Classics from one PS3 to another?

Postby astrodomekid » June 20th, 2017, 8:15 pm

I know this more concerns classic gaming, but it only applies to digital re-releases for a last-gen console which for the time being is still being supported, so it counts.

I don't have a PS3 myself, but I tend to spend every other weekend at my Dad's house where I have access to my stepbrother's PS3 (yes I have his permission, as he's usually on his gaming PC anyway). I have a couple of PS1 games on there, and I enjoy playing them while I'm away from my own PS1. One of my cousins who lives a couple of hours away from me also has a PS3, and I was hoping I could transfer them so that his little brother can experience the games I loved when I was a kid like him (and maybe even witness the awesomeness of Daytona USA, if I can transfer the HD version of that game as well). Can it be done? If so, how?

ptdebate

Re: Is it possible to transfer PS1 Classics from one PS3 to another?

Postby ptdebate » June 20th, 2017, 11:59 pm

Sure,

Just log into the new PS3 with the same PSN account you used to purchase the digital PS1 games. You will then be able to play the games on both PS3s. You'll need to go into the PSN store and navigate to your Downloads list in order to install them first.

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » June 21st, 2017, 12:14 am

I don't have a PS3, but I do know games are tied to accounts and not consoles. If the digital games were purchased using your step-brother's account they will work on any PS3. Ask him to login to your cousin's PS3 and download them to your cousin's console. Of course, they could only be played using your step-brother's account, and I don't know if that is something he would be comfortable with.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 21st, 2017, 1:55 pm

OzGamer wrote:I don't have a PS3, but I do know games are tied to accounts and not consoles. If the digital games were purchased using your step-brother's account they will work on any PS3. Ask him to login to your cousin's PS3 and download them to your cousin's console. Of course, they could only be played using your step-brother's account, and I don't know if that is something he would be comfortable with.

Not really correct.

PS3 digital purchases are tied to the console and up to two PS3's can be activated at once (Used to be five during the first several years of the console's life). And any account on the console can access the DLC just fine. And you get additional activation slots for PS1 Classics for PSP and Vita/PSTV usage, which these downloads generally are also compatible on.

To illustrate on my two PS3's, I actually have five accounts on each system. Two US accounts (I forgot my log-in info when setting up my PSP 3000 years ago and made a second account, which came in handy a few years later when they gave away a selection of free games after their security breach), a UK account, and a Japanese account which all belong to me. I also have game-shared content, with one friend's account on my original PS3 with the Gran Turismo HD prototype that was delisted by the time I bought my PS3 in 2008, and the other account on my newer PS3 system with every PSP Mini ever released.

Yet I only ever log-in and play the games spread across these six accounts with my original US account.

OzGamer

Postby OzGamer » June 21st, 2017, 9:34 pm

Atariboy wrote:Not really correct. PS3 digital purchases are tied to the console and up to two PS3's can be activated at once (Used to be five during the first several years of the console's life).

If digital purchases are tied to the console, can OP still transfer the games to his cousin's PS3?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 21st, 2017, 10:33 pm

OzGamer wrote:
Atariboy wrote:Not really correct. PS3 digital purchases are tied to the console and up to two PS3's can be activated at once (Used to be five during the first several years of the console's life).

If digital purchases are tied to the console, can OP still transfer the games to his cousin's PS3?

He can. What Atariboy is talking about is the "authorized consoles" feature. You can use your digital purchases on a maximum of two PS3s at once. If you have already authorized two PS3s, you have to unauthorized a PS3 before you play your purchased games on a third PS3. For the OP's situation, it will work fine if he authorizes the cousin's PS3 as his second console.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 26th, 2017, 1:21 pm

I sold my PS3, with maybe 5 or 6 PS1 and various other games on there. Purchased another PS3 a year or two later and when I logged in to my account, the games were there for me to download.

This was a while ago though. The entire store has changed since then, and I dont think anything I have purchased is even available anymore. So I dont know now.

Return to “Modern Gaming”