Colecovision or Intellivision

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 4th, 2006, 9:59 pm

So, I'm thinking of ading another classic system to my collection, as the classic systems are almost all I've played, outside the DS, in a month or 2, and if anything, I'm moving toward plaing them exclusively.  The 7800 (doubling as a 2600) hasbeen getingmost of the play, but the Odyssey 2 is starting to get some love too (and I am ordering KTAA later this week).  Anyway, I've been thinking adding one of the other classic era systems would be a good idea, but, as I'm pretty close to satuation on systems I will actually have time to play, I'm thinking it'll be a good idea to get only one for the next little while.  Thus, as I've never even seen one of these things in use in real life, I was wondering which was the best pick.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 5th, 2006, 4:06 am

They are both very good.  I prefer the Intellivision personally, especially for 2 player games, but I am biased.  I grew up with one.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 5th, 2006, 4:52 am

There is no contest here, Atarifever. Colecovision has FOUR times the memory and much better graphics then INTV. The INTV is considered "second generation", the CV and 5200 are "Third wave"!
...the INTV does have some good games, but except for sports games (which it does better than almost ANY classic 80's console) , these games are better on CV-the SAME games too! You can get Burgertime, Bump N' Jump, and others for both units but these are all FAR superior on CV! Basically it comes down to; if you had an INTV as a kid and are nostalgic for one OR you prefer sports and strategy (2 player) games over Arcade type games, get an INTV -otherwise FOR HEAVENS SAKE, GET A COLECOVISION! (I'm not even mentioning the fact that you can use standard ATARI cantrols on many CV games, on INTV you are stuck with the Disc!) - My top three systems of all time are Genesis, Colecovision and DS!

Cody

Postby Cody » November 5th, 2006, 8:27 am

I own both the Intellivision and Colecovision and the Colecovision is alot more fun. The main reason that I prefer it is for all of the great arcade games you can't get on other systems or are better on this one. Both controllers suck on both systems but the Colecovision one is alot better than the Intellivision's small,hard to press fire buttons. I was once wondering which system to get first. I bought the Coleecovision and haven't been unsatisfied. I do like the Intellivision alot, but those horrible controllers and lack or arcade games make it not nearly as played as my other systems. The only bad thing for me when it comes to rthe Colecovision is finding games locally. I rarely find games in my local shops and have to go elsewhere to buy them(usually online,but many Tulsa, OK game stores have some).Intellivision games are generally prety easy to find and the Intellivision exclusive Imagic games are really nice.Both systems had a good amount of "expansion modules" that make them more fun to collect for, like the Atari adapter, Turbo driving controller, and Adam computer for Colecovision and Voice Synthesis Module, Atari adapter, ECS computer adapter, and Music Synthesizer. It really depends on the type of games you enjoy. The Colecovision has the great arcade games like Jungle Hunt, Defender, Ladybug, Centipede,Miner 2049er,Zaxxon,etc. The Intellivision has more of sports and strategy games like the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games and Utopoa. And arcade like games including Astrosmash, Lock N Chase, andrcade hits. Those included Astrosmash,Lock N Chase, and Armor Battle. The Colecovision is the choice though, if you can find a working one. You won't be disapointed.

andrew

Postby andrew » November 5th, 2006, 2:46 pm

I'd get an intellivision solely to play the intellivoice games like b-17 bomber, space spartans and bomb squad. But especially b-17 bomber. I play the emulator version that is available for free legit download at intellivisionlives.com. Other gems for the system include shark! shark! and beauty and the beast. Intellivision hands down for me

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » November 5th, 2006, 8:42 pm

Everything everybody has said is right.  The Colecovision is definitely the classic arcade game choice.  There are also some games on the Intellivision, though, that have graphics that are as good as most anything on the Colecovision, and maybe even better.  They are the later games released under the label INTV.  The label on the cartridge is always white with black letters.  Of these games, Diner! (Exclusive to Intellivision Burgertime sequel),  Thunder Castle, Tower of Doom, and Super Pro Basketball, are the best.  They will show you what the system is capable of.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 5th, 2006, 10:53 pm

"INTV Graphics...are as good as anything on Colecovision"

Boy is THAT way off. INTV can do some good background graphics (Demon Attack, Microsurgeon, Beauty & Beast, ...Imagic!) but
the sprites are small, blocky and often mono-colored (sprites with more than one color are LAYERED sprites which SLOWS the game down!).....INTV is notoriously slow in most arcade games. The only thing I'll say in it's favor is there is less flicker (it has a 16-bit processor) than on CV , but CV graphics look MUCH MORE arcade like. It has much higher resolution. INTV Burgertime is a good game, but compare CV Burgertime to it, where the eggs are rounder and have little EYES. INTV shooters like Mission X are a joke compared to ZAXXON. Really, just compare screens on this site! INTV=good, CV=Better!!!!

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » November 5th, 2006, 11:52 pm

Intellivision would be my choice, along with these game (many exclusive to the console):

AD&D
Atlantis
MLB Baseball
Beauty & The Beast
Burgertime
Diner
Dreadnaught Factor
Microsurgeon...I don't care what The Critic says on this one
NFL Football
Pacman
Shark! Shark!
Thin Ice
Thunder Castle
Triple Action Biplanes
Utopia
Worm Whomper

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » November 6th, 2006, 7:56 am

Here's a second question that could help me decide.  Could someone in the know link me to some online retailers of Coelcovision and Intellivision hombrews (I know Atariage does some coleco ones, but not necessarily all the ones I want).  I can't find them with google, and a homebrew scene has quickly become a big selling point to me with classic systems.  In particualr, any Intellivision homebrews would be nice, and the posts on Atariage always make Coleco games from opcode games seem pretty awesome.  Thanks.

One thing I have found is that the online stores I buy from have A LOT more Intellivision than Coleco games, and the Intellivision games are generally boxed, while the coleco ones are almost all loose.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 6th, 2006, 12:33 pm

Dreadnought factor, Burgertime, Atlantis and certainly PAC MAN were NOT exlcusive to the INTV system! All of those games were released on multiple systems/8-bit computers, and generally were better, too (except Burgertime, only NES and Colecovision had better ones- and ATLANTIS has unique gameplay on the INTV. D- factor is much better on the Atari 5200/8-bit computer and Pac Man, while better than the 2600 cart, has a VERY small maze and is not one of the better Atarisoft INTV games....

I LOVE my INTV too, I hook 'er up now and then to play Burgertime, Utopia, Night stalker and others. BTW, Atarifever, if you decide on INTV do NOT get the INTV model 2, it has even WORSE controls and is incompatible with many games/ devices for INTV. I think there were 4 other models, all okay.

Return to “Classic Gaming”