Independence Day games

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate

Independence Day games

Postby ptdebate » July 4th, 2015, 4:50 pm

Any patriotic games you'd like to see the Critic review? I nominate Metal Wolf Chaos and Broforce.

scotland

Re: Independence Day games

Postby scotland » July 4th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Not the Critics style, but Sid Meiers Colonization, Liberty or Death, or Ultimate General Gettysburg (perhaps the pivotal battle of the American Civil War fought on July 1-3)

Video games have a huge recency influence, where flash in the pan movies or tv characters get games but classics have no footprint. Should be a Johnny Tremaine game. Oddly, the 2000 movie The Patriot did not have a video game.

Sut

Postby Sut » July 5th, 2015, 2:40 am

Would North and South count ? That is one great game I've only played it on the ST but I'm sure the NES got a version.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 3rd, 2017, 3:42 pm

Anyone have any other ideas for most patriotic game?

I did a search and found a pretty good list someone else has made.

http://www.gamesradar.com/20-most-rabid ... tic-games/

Even Metal Wolf Chaos is on it. Personally, that's going to be my pick. Heck, you play as the President in a Mech! How awesome is that?

GTS

Postby GTS » July 3rd, 2017, 5:13 pm

The most 4th of July game for me is Fantavision. It's already been reviewed though, and the game is quite tiresome.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 3rd, 2017, 5:50 pm

Sut wrote:Would North and South count ? That is one great game I've only played it on the ST but I'm sure the NES got a version.

Definitely. The NES version of "North and South" is excellent, especially with two players. Definitely a hidden gem in the NES library. However, I've been throwing out that game as one of my regular recommendations to the Critic for over 10 years now and it hasn't happened yet! (In fairness, it goes for about $40 nowadays, so it's not an impulse buy.) But maybe you have more pull, Sut!

For a super literal game about Independence Day.. how about "Independence Day"? Awful game for PS1 and Saturn, based on the movie...

charlie

Postby charlie » July 4th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Broforce? The steam version is a blast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broforce

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 4th, 2017, 10:30 pm

I'd like to again nominate Metal Wolf Chaos, the most American videogame never released in America.

256px-Metalwolfcover.jpg
256px-Metalwolfcover.jpg (37.09 KiB) Viewed 2230 times

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 5th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Hah! Broforce is an awesome suggestion.

It's all kinds of 80s action awesome sauce.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 5th, 2017, 1:05 pm

ptdebate wrote:I'd like to again nominate Metal Wolf Chaos, the most American videogame never released in America.

256px-Metalwolfcover.jpg

With the Xbox One soon to support original Xbox games through backward compatibility I'm really hoping they'll include support for it. Frankly, it's a great way for Microsoft to let a new audience find it.

Any game that's supported over backward compatibility is one you can download or purchase online. As a result, the critic could finally give this one a go without having to hack his original xbox to play import games and spend a mint for a legitimate copy.

Return to “Video Games General”