Can the Nintendo Switch emulate the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer hardware?

General and high profile video game topics.
Sonicx9

Can the Nintendo Switch emulate the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer hardware?

Postby Sonicx9 » July 12th, 2017, 8:39 pm

I ask because both the Nintendo Switch and 3DO Interactive Multiplayer use ARM CPU architecture which = easy Nintendo Switch Virtual Console emulation, but the question is who owns the 3DO console rights after the 3DO company went out of business in 2003? Can it happen, or will it never happen, thoughts?

mbd36

Re: Can the Nintendo Switch emulate the 3DO Interactive Multiplayer hardware?

Postby mbd36 » July 13th, 2017, 12:34 am

Sonicx9 wrote:I ask because both the Nintendo Switch and 3DO Interactive Multiplayer use ARM CPU architecture which = easy Nintendo Switch Virtual Console emulation, but the question is who owns the 3DO console rights after the 3DO company went out of business in 2003? Can it happen, or will it never happen, thoughts?

Yeah... The main issue here is that the 3DO is so niche that I doubt there would be enough interest for this to happen.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » July 13th, 2017, 12:42 am

Of course it can, regardless of architecture. My x64 laptop can. As for whether or not the Virtual Console will ever have 3DO games, I don't think it's very likely; the 3DO was such an unpopular system with such a paltry library that it wouldn't be commercially worth the trouble.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » July 13th, 2017, 8:04 am

3DO was a cool system, I had one and just sold it with all the games. I never played it. 99% of the games you can get for the PC, and they are much better quality. So its really not worth it I guess.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 13th, 2017, 12:54 pm

Rookie1 wrote:3DO was a cool system, I had one and just sold it with all the games. I never played it. 99% of the games you can get for the PC, and they are much better quality. So its really not worth it I guess.

The Road Rash port is supposed to be the system's killer app.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 13th, 2017, 11:56 pm

It could, but it would be pointless:

EA, the strongest supporter of the 3DO, has never supported the Virtual Console, so you would never see Road Rash, Need For Speed, FIFA, Madden, etc. Samurai Shodown is already available, Way of the Warrior (junk game) is a Naughty Dog-owned property, Gex and The Horde, to the best of my knowledge, are owned by Crystal Dynamics and....I don't think they do much of anything these days. Honestly, you would not see any of the best games released for it, so it would be absolutely pointless.

Sega CD, on the other hand....

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » July 14th, 2017, 6:02 am

mbd36 wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:3DO was a cool system, I had one and just sold it with all the games. I never played it. 99% of the games you can get for the PC, and they are much better quality. So its really not worth it I guess.

The Road Rash port is supposed to be the system's killer app.

Honestly, it was no better than the PS1 versions other than sharper graphics.

Return to “Video Games General”