A question for those of you who successfully camped out for an NES Classic

General and high profile video game topics.
BanjoPickles

A question for those of you who successfully camped out for an NES Classic

Postby BanjoPickles » July 13th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Okay, so I decided to use PTO and camp out at Best Buy the night of September 28th. I thought, like so many others, that the shortages for the NES Classic would be short lived, and I am not making that mistake again! I will camp out, only because (unlike with the NES), I would likely be willing to pay a scalper. I didn't think that I would, but that lineup is too good to pass up!

So, my question is for those of you who camped and were able to snag the NES Classic last Fall: how soon should I get there? I was thinking about 8:00 the night before. Should I contact the businesses to see if they have a rough estimate of how many consoles they're getting? Are people orderly, or will it be a race to get one?

Voor

Re: A question for those of you who successfully camped out for an NES Classic

Postby Voor » July 14th, 2017, 7:16 am

My local Best Buy got 7 in. I got there an hour before they opened and there were 8 people in line. I think the earliest one person got there was 6:00am. Nobody camped overnight.

Of course, there ended up being about 40 people waiting by the time they opened. They handled it well (only allowed one customer at a time), but it would have been really nice for them to say how many they got it instead of wasting everyone's time.

I'm not going through that again.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 14th, 2017, 11:38 am

I'm going to have fun with it. I'm going to take my 3DS, some coffee, water, a sandwich, etc. I think that I'll have a chance if I show up the night before.

I'm glad to see these places offering one per customer! The idea of one person showing up and buying the entire lot is infuriatingly obnoxious!

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » July 14th, 2017, 12:48 pm

The morning of November 11th when the NES Classic was released I drove by Best Buy at 7AM and there were two people in line at that point, by 7:45AM after my coworker and I had finished getting breakfast the line had grown to like 15 people and Best Buy didn't open up until 10AM.

Personally, I don't feel that this Nintendo crap is worth waiting in line in the cold for. I certainly wouldn't waste valuable time off from work for it. My $.02.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 14th, 2017, 1:40 pm

I have so much PTO stocked up that it isn't a concern. Honestly, the NES Classic didn't mean that much to me; all of the games had previously been released on VC, and I had most of them.

The SNES remains my all-time favorite Console and, outside of a few games that I wouldn't have expected to appear anyway (Prince of Persia, Turtles in Time, Mortal Kombat 2, SOS), this compilation has everything that I could possibly want! People have recommended emulation, but I have a soft spot for the snes controller. Starfox 1 and 2 are icing on the cake.

I'm going to wait in line because I know that I will end up being roped in by a scalper if I don't.

GTS

Postby GTS » July 14th, 2017, 5:38 pm

So they are still selling them? I thought they were done. Anyway, my only advice would be to not give Nintendo the pleasure of seeing you put all this work into buying their low quantity items. I've had enough of them. What they are doing may not be illegal, but it is surely unethical.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 14th, 2017, 6:13 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I'm going to have fun with it. I'm going to take my 3DS, some coffee, water, a sandwich, etc. I think that I'll have a chance if I show up the night before.

I'm glad to see these places offering one per customer! The idea of one person showing up and buying the entire lot is infuriatingly obnoxious!

What about the....bathroom? I say that because there aren't any stores open all night near our Best Buy. And how does that work? Is your "spot" still held? Maybe a friend needs to go with you. Obviously I've never camped overnight for anything.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » July 15th, 2017, 8:14 am

I waited in line for Episode 1 for 13 hours, and was disappointed. Never again will I wait in line for anything. No reason anyone should have to stand in line over night for one of these things. So stupid on Nintendos part if you ask me.

Return to “Video Games General”