Hyperkin Smartboy for Smartphones

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
pacman000

Re: Hyperkin Smartboy for Smartphones

Postby pacman000 » August 7th, 2017, 9:46 am

Looks like Sony has (had?) a smartphone with a videogame controller built in: the Xperia Play

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xperia_Play

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » August 7th, 2017, 10:46 am

I think we've kinda forgotten what this thread's about: the Hyperkin Smartboy.

Hyperkin has brought real buttons and a D-pad to mobile gaming. The $50 Smartboy fits on some Android phones, and plays actual GB and GBC cartridges. It will also opens up playing Gameboy, NES, SMS and other gaming systems via emulators and find-them-yourselves ROMs.

The D-Pad and real buttons are just part of it; it also emulated games, and has a built in cart slot for GB & GBC games. The built in slot sounds cool, but why can't it play GBA games? Does this offer an advantage over a GBA w/a flashcart?

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » August 7th, 2017, 7:53 pm

pacman000 wrote:I think we've kinda forgotten what this thread's about: the Hyperkin Smartboy.

The D-Pad and real buttons are just part of it; it also emulated games, and has a built in cart slot for GB & GBC games. The built in slot sounds cool, but why can't it play GBA games? Does this offer an advantage over a GBA w/a flashcart?

True.

When I heard about this thing I immediately thought it sounded cool due to taking actual carts. I would love to see ones with TurboExpress and Nomad colour and controller schemes that took turbo cards and Genesis carts. And of course, a Lynx one would be cool.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 7th, 2017, 8:04 pm

Atarifever wrote:
pacman000 wrote:I think we've kinda forgotten what this thread's about: the Hyperkin Smartboy.

True.

When I heard about this thing I immediately thought it sounded cool due to taking actual carts. I would love to see ones with TurboExpress and Nomad colour and controller schemes that took turbo cards and Genesis carts. And of course, a Lynx one would be cool.

Probably not coincidental, but for Christmas I got a clone of a GB/GBC player. Wonderful little thing, with a backlight and built in games. The Smartboy might be using the same connectors and board.

Recall that the GBA has shoulder buttons, and those are lacking here. However, it can probably do a bang up job on the Sega Game Gear, which did not have shoulder buttons.

Return to “Modern Gaming”