11/7/2006: Game Boy: ATV Quad Power Racing, Noddy: A Day In Toyland, Wario Ware Twisted

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

11/7/2006: Game Boy: ATV Quad Power Racing, Noddy: A Day In Toyland, Wario Ware Twisted

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 7th, 2006, 6:32 pm

I'm showing my range with this set.  Enjoy.

a1

Postby a1 » November 7th, 2006, 10:31 pm

I like the approach you took to Noddy. Too many reviewers say a game like that is boring, and it may be okay for kids. Of course the game is okay for kids. That's what its designed for. The reviewers always go on to pick apart the game, and then give it a score usually below average. It was nice to see someone just see if a kids' game accomplishes what it attempted to.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » November 8th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Actually, Noddy was recieved fairly well by critics.
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/gba/noddyadayintoyland

I guess it depends on the license - games starring characters like Noddy and Elmo are obviously meant to appeal to the younger crowd, and should be reviewed as such. No one wants to read some moron's ramblings about why Elmo's ABC is a crappy game where you do nothing but learn the alphabet and how you should go play Halo instead.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 8th, 2006, 1:16 pm

As with Mario Pinball land, Critic, you and I are worlds apart on Warioware:twisted. I remember first making contact with someone on here by SELLING this game to them, cheap! I absolutely HATED it (it was my last GBA-only game before I moved up to DS)! Hate it hate it , no sir I don't like it! All the gyrations and twists necessary, to me made the game more of a physical workout, and even so I could not win ONE mini game, hard as I tried (and I may be old but I run, bike and swim-no Arthritis Ye...OW my arm!) ; anyway I would give it an easy F-! And this is from somebody who LOVES both WARIOWARE 1 and WARIOWARE:TOUCHED!
Good reviews on the others but I question the idea behing HANDHELD games for VERY young children like Noddy. If I had a toddler (it seems aimed at the "Barney" set) , I'd bet anything a gift of a GBA would be broken in a day! They make "kid systems" with big buttons and unbreakable plastic for this very reason!

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » November 8th, 2006, 2:09 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Good reviews on the others but I question the idea behing HANDHELD games for VERY young children like Noddy. If I had a toddler (it seems aimed at the "Barney" set) , I'd bet anything a gift of a GBA would be broken in a day! They make "kid systems" with big buttons and unbreakable plastic for this very reason![/QUOTE]

We're just going to have to disagree on that.  One of the first gifts I gave my niece, nephews, and godson at the age of 3 was a GBA with a Mario game.  With the exception of one nephew, they all loved it and played the things to death.  Now my godson at age five has moved up to the DS.

I think kids can be unpredictable, but in this case, starting them off with a love of gaming was a wise investment.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » November 8th, 2006, 3:12 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]
Good reviews on the others but I question the idea behing HANDHELD games for VERY young children like Noddy. If I had a toddler (it seems aimed at the "Barney" set) , I'd bet anything a gift of a GBA would be broken in a day! They make "kid systems" with big buttons and unbreakable plastic for this very reason![/QUOTE]

I'd say Noddy is aimed at kids age 3 to 6, and they are actually capable of handling a GBA without breaking it. While a GBA may be more fragile than the classic GB, I certainly didn't break my cousin's Gameboy at age 4, when it was released. As for the Noddy game itself, I'm sure I would've loved it at that age. While I liked playing games, it WAS frustrating to not being able to get anywhere in games like Super Mario Bros due to the challenge, and need to push multiple buttons at once. Noddy seems like a game made for kids who find most normal games too challenging, and would like something aimed at their level. I remember the first game I ever played, Outrun, and how I preferred to let the demo roll and pretend to drive instead of actually driving, as the game was just too hard to be any fun. And given the license, it's pretty clear who the game is intended for - good luck finding a 7-year old who likes Noddy. Simply put, if you're young enought to want to play a Noddy game, you're in the target demographic.

McTom

Postby McTom » November 9th, 2006, 3:47 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]As with Mario Pinball land, Critic, you and I are worlds apart on Warioware:twisted. Hate it hate it , no sir I don't like it! [/QUOTE]

I agreed with you upon Mario Pinball - it was totally awful & boring. But I can't come along with your opinion on Warioware Twisted. I trully enjoyed it and think it's one of the most original and fun GBA games. (And one that makes the best use of the tilt-function).

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » November 9th, 2006, 5:41 am

Sorry About my Noddy remark, I never had kids so I know nothing about children NOTHHHHHING! (Except I'm a kid myself).....

I guess I'll go with one comment that , like older kids, it depends on the child. Some 5-year olds are well behaved while some 6 year olds will go off in a rage because they lose, and throw the system at the wall. Again, as someone pointed out the old "Brick" GB could take the punishment, I doubt the hinged
Gba-SP would! (But then there are ADULTS who do that too!).

Robotrek

Re: 11/7/2006: Game Boy: ATV Quad Power Racing, Noddy: A Day In Toyland, Wario Ware Twisted

Postby Robotrek » December 21st, 2022, 6:17 am

Dave, did you edit the Noddy in Toyland review? I had to double check on wayback machine but it seems like that whole bit about you recruiting your nephew (which was hilarious, by the way) has been axed.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 11/7/2006: Game Boy: ATV Quad Power Racing, Noddy: A Day In Toyland, Wario Ware Twisted

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2022, 11:06 am

Yeah I thought the original review was a little cheesy. Plus my nephew is a grown man now! I changed a few reviews in the process of going to a multi-paragraph format, a year or two ago.

Return to “Review Feedback”