Why do people like RPGs?

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Re: Why do people like RPGs?

Postby scotland » July 21st, 2017, 8:44 am

Voor wrote:for me, the interest would lie in the actual combat, which may be why I like some real time strategy games, but not RPGs

I hear you. I like Rogue-likes, and there is no plot and a nameless disposable character. Its all combat, with some resource management. Same thing for turn based strategy like Advance Wars. I don't care about the storyline, just the turn based combat (and much more resource management there). They can be real time, but I gravitate more to turn based.

There are likely RPGs to suit many tastes. If you just like the tactics, there are games just for that too.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 21st, 2017, 12:05 pm

For a great starting point for both tactics and story, I'd highly recommend trying Final Fantasy Tactics (the original, not the sequels). Either the PS1 original or the slightly improved PSP version. I've played both versions to completion and it still holds up perfectly today. For years, I considered it the best story that I ever experienced in a video game, although I might now give that honor to Metal Gear Solid 3. Regardless, it's an excellent story with many "Game of Thrones"-esque twists and turns, and a great tactical gameplay component to it. It's considered a very hard game, but I don't think it's so bad if you level up appropriately. I rank it in my top 3 favorite games ever. Well worth playing if you want to try a strategy RPG that combines great gameplay and story.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 20th, 2017, 7:19 pm

This is a very good question. I think one reason why is that there's a real sense of accomplishment in building up your character or party, depending on what type of RPG you happen to be playing at any given moment, from nothing into something more powerful. And as in most RPG's, this takes a lot of time and effort in doing so. And while this can get a little frustrating and tedious at times due to the sheer amount of time and the inevitable number of deaths that will happen, it's also a great feeling when you eventually get strong enough and are able to defeat the toughest bosses and solve the hardest, most challenging puzzles thrown your way.

And while all of this is going on, you also find yourself being drawn into the actual story line of the game, which in turn keeps you plugging away at it even when you appear to be getting hopelessly stuck in a certain spot. You just want to see what's next in store for you and your group of characters or character.

It should also be noted that this not only applies to RPG/Adventure type games, but to some action titles as well. Like the Ninja Gaiden series of games for instance. Those games are super hard and there's been times I've wanted to quit playing them. But I kept on playing because I wanted to see the next awesome cut scene which would give away the latest plot twist in the story. And more often than not, I'd be blown away by them and as a result would keep on playing through 'em no matter how ridiculously impossible challenges those games would seem to throw at me. Of course, I've yet to beat any of them as of yet. But every time I sit down for a gaming session, I seem to get a little further, which in turn, makes me want to play them more and more. This also happens when I play a good old school RPG and that's why I like them so much as well.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » August 26th, 2017, 4:26 am

Voor wrote:Thanks everyone. I guess my issue then is that I can't ever really recall being very interested in a game's storyline. Just don't have the patience to sit through a bunch of text or cutscenes.

for me, the interest would lie in the actual combat, which may be why I like some real time strategy games, but not RPGs
And then there's people like me. I'm the oddball who loves turn-based combat. I love being able to control every action of an entire team of people. It's not for everyone but I find it very fun.

scotland

Postby scotland » August 26th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Nothing oddball on liking turn based. I prefer it as well.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 26th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Playing an action game is like watching a movie, and playing an RPG is like reading a good book.
Especially with turn-based RPGs you can take your time and really get into it.
And you can play it over the course of many weeks.

Another analogy might be drinking beer versus sipping a fine wine.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 26th, 2017, 6:20 pm

I've never been able to get into non-linear Western style RPGs. Give me a tight story. I don't want endless options with no idea where to go or what to do.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 26th, 2017, 6:24 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Especially with turn-based RPGs you can take your time and really get into it.

Maybe not for much longer, seeing as they're doing everything they can to get rid of turn based combat. Shame, too. I much prefer real time action, but it feels wrong somehow to just phase it out like we're doing...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 26th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Sadly, I think the online culture has contributed to the demise of turn-based action. Think about it - you can have the player taking forever to figure out what to do. And more game companies are trying to figure out how to get their games online - whether it's warranted or not.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 27th, 2017, 12:58 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Sadly, I think the online culture has contributed to the demise of turn-based action. Think about it - you can have the player taking forever to figure out what to do. And more game companies are trying to figure out how to get their games online - whether it's warranted or not.

It's really sad that turn-based games have all but vanished from the mainstream. There are a few stalwarts left such as Persona, Pokémon, and Dragon Quest, but there's still plenty of room for innovation within the genre that's not being capitalized upon. I do think modern gamers' relative lack of attention span could be a contributing factor. Major game companies are terrified of alienating audiences, so they continue to churn out the content that is proven to sell.

I for one am someone who prefers turn-based RPGS to real-time. I enjoy being able to strategize and micromanage every step of a battle.

Return to “Video Games General”