Modern Game Nostalgia

General and high profile video game topics.
Herschie

Modern Game Nostalgia

Postby Herschie » August 29th, 2017, 8:46 pm

I have so many good memories of being a kid. I remember sitting in class in 5th grade thinking about football nonstop as the teacher rambled on about some English lesson. I'd rarely get to play at recess because I'd have detention for putting a thumbtack or a HoHo on someone's chair. I remember my friends and I playing Zelda in the woods by our house. I was always the shop guy saying "Buy something, will ya" over and over again. Looking back on it, I can understand why my neighbor thought there was something wrong with me. My father and I playing baseball in the front yard. That time my mother helped me write a letter to former Cubs manager Jim Frey after he was fired, then getting to read his response and signed photo. The time my parents picked me up from the police station in 1994 after I stole a can of Binaca from the store. Ok, maybe that one wasn't such a fond memory.

There was a lot of good stuff to remember. But I must say, a lot of these modern video games actually do a nice job of injecting nostalgia. Mariokart has improved, yet still brings back memories of my high school friends and I passing the bong while playing this. Breath of the Wild kept true enough to the Zelda series that I would get hints of memories from various stages of the series. Even going back and playing some of the Metroid Prime games feels like some link to when I'd be over at my friend's house trying to figure out where the heck to go. I remember waiting for Nintendo Power, and discussing that game on the bus with my friend who I had a falling out with after the day my gum somehow ended up in his hair.

Yep, you can feel plenty of nostalgia from modern games. Even NBA 2K17 has those old teams that bring back memories of all those epic Bulls/Knicks series of the 90s. In Madden 18, someone is working on the 2002 and 1987 rosters. Last year it was 1990. I love how they even have a lot of the old jerseys.

MLB: The Show has plenty of these player-made retro rosters. I love games, and I love how you can even get that sense of nostalgia from some of the games of today.

Voor

Re: Modern Game Nostalgia

Postby Voor » August 30th, 2017, 8:02 am

I liked your part about metroid Prime. These days, with walk through and let's play videos, you have to fight off the temptation to get help online too quick. Back in the day, those strategy guides took $$ and effort to get, and felt way more rewarding. You typically suffered for a while first, and it was so much more rewarding.

two memories: goldeneye--yes there were game modes, but not near as customized as today. So we made up our own--"the room of poles deathmatch" for example.

Halo--to eliminate the problem of looking at another persons screen for split screen, we literally taped a piece of cardboard to the screen to serve as a divider. It was dumb, but it worked.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 30th, 2017, 10:47 am

I find it ironic that you can play as Michael Jordan NOW that he's been out of the league for 20 years. Yet in his heyday you couldn't be him. Why? Because Electronic Arts (EA!) had an exclusive license for him!!

Then again, that #99 shooting guard for the Chicago Bulls in NBA Live was suspiciously good. Max stats across the board!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 30th, 2017, 2:33 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I find it ironic that you can play as Michael Jordan NOW that he's been out of the league for 20 years. Yet in his heyday you couldn't be him. Why? Because Electronic Arts (EA!) had an exclusive license for him!!

Then again, that #99 shooting guard for the Chicago Bulls in NBA Live was suspiciously good. Max stats across the board!

Haha, I remember him! Now you get Jordan in stunning 4K. Fortunately for this Knicks fan, I also get Ewing in 4K.

And all the Cubs players I admired as a kid. Here's me in 1984 holding World Series tickets:

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » August 30th, 2017, 4:43 pm

I don't remember which MVP Baseball game it was exactly I think it might have been 2005 but they had a ton of legendary players in it including CY Young Babe Ruth,Ty Cobb Walter Johnson,Nolan Ryan and a bunch of others :) I do love how the modern sports games are putting in legendary players and teams in them now makes up for how crappy sports video games were during those players and teams prime lol

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 9th, 2017, 5:04 pm

I remember when I was a kid, there was this picture in a book about the Cubs:

The manager, Gene Michael, actually just died this past Thursday. But that photo was taken in 1986.The catcher was one of my favorites growing up, Jody Davis, and the pitcher with the beard is Ray Fontenot. But the cool part is how I was able to sort of recreate that photo in The Show:

I love how modern games can bring back memories, and in some cases, they can do that even better than retro games.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 17th, 2017, 5:03 pm

rockofhysteria wrote:I don't remember which MVP Baseball game it was exactly I think it might have been 2005 but they had a ton of legendary players in it including CY Young Babe Ruth,Ty Cobb Walter Johnson,Nolan Ryan and a bunch of others :) I do love how the modern sports games are putting in legendary players and teams in them now makes up for how crappy sports video games were during those players and teams prime lol

I know what you meant but I would imagine video games during the Ruth,Cobb, Cy Young and Walter Johnson Era were bad. Maybe there was a game you could play using morse code?

Return to “Video Games General”