Retron 5 Review

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Retron 5 Review

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 27th, 2017, 2:22 pm

I finally posted my Retron 5 review!
http://videogamecritic.com/extras/reviews/retron5.htm

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Stalvern

Re: Retron 5 Review

Postby Stalvern » August 27th, 2017, 4:10 pm

There's a very conspicuous typo in the list of reviews at the end. ;)

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » August 27th, 2017, 5:19 pm

I know there was controversy over the Retron 5 incorporating other peoples' emulators without permission. I've also heard of issues with it having a "death grip" on carts.

That's interesting that the stock controllers are so poor. I recently ordered Hyperkin's Cadet Premium NES pad because of glowing reviews... and while not perfect (the buttons are raised higher and are much "clickier" than the original Nintendo pad, and some games play better with the original, but this is subjective) it's very good for the price. So they are capable of making a decent controller.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 27th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Fixed the "Retron-bit Generations" link typo. Whoops.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 28th, 2017, 9:21 am

I've never paid these systems any attention, due to owning the original consoles. But I think you're review might have won me over.. You point out some good advantages--the biggest (for me) being the ability to stick this in the family room as one consolidated retro console. Despite having a game room, sometimes it's nice to play games in the family room, but it's always a hassle to bring the systems out for that. So this would come in handy. The graphics upgrade sounds interesting too.

For RPGs and other games with battery backup, will it save to the cartridge AND the Retron 5, or just to the Retron 5?

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 28th, 2017, 8:50 pm

The Retron 5 is much better now than when it launched. Mine was defective from the start and I never bothered to give it another chance.

I was tempted to buy it again recently now that it is improved, but went with the Retro Freak instead. It's more expensive, but also has some extras that make it a strong alternative. For me, the Turbografx/PC Engine support was huge. Also, the fact that you can back up your games to an SD card, or just load an SD card with roms if you don't want to collect/have the real carts. It even works with the Retron 5 Master System/Game Gear adapter. You can buy the Retro Freak branded one, but it is more expensive and only works with import Master System carts, SG-1000, and Game Gear.

The only other disadvantage is that you need an nes to famicom adapter if you want to use nes carts. Newer bundles have it included along with the controller adapter. However, the controller adapter only has one port for each system, but includes more systems (PC Engine and Famicom)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 29th, 2017, 4:36 pm

I've always been confused about the Retro Freak. Doesn't this thing only play Japanese carts? I heard there was supposed to be a region-free version but I've never seen it for sale.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 29th, 2017, 11:13 pm

Did you ever buy this controller that you posted about a while back, Critic? They're actually Retron 5 compatible, if you didn't know.

viewtopic.php?f=134793&t=15296&hilit=8bitdo

So if you haven't tried it yet, you should plug the receiver into your Retron 5 for a decent wireless controller since the stock one that comes with the system is so awful. Several other designs like a SNES clone are offered as well, along with receivers to connect them to original NES and SNES systems (Which you'll need here, since Hyperkin doesn't let aftermarket wireless controllers connect directly to their system).

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 30th, 2017, 5:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I've always been confused about the Retro Freak. Doesn't this thing only play Japanese carts? I heard there was supposed to be a region-free version but I've never seen it for sale.

All versions of the console give you an English option when you first start. The Retro Freak plays the following American carts:

SNES
Sega Genesis
Turbografx 16
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Color
Gameboy

***You need an adapter to play nes (any nes to famicom adapter will work). The region free version of the console is the same as the other models except it includes the nes adapter.

It also plays the following Japanese carts:

Famicom
Famicom Disk System (If you have to system of course)
Super Famicom
Mega Drive
PC Engine
Gameboy Advance
Gameboy Color
Gameboy

Retro Freak sells an adapter that adds:

SG 1000
Sega Mark III
Sega My Card
Game Gear

***alternatively you can use the Retron 5 adapter or powerbase converter to add master system

However, even without the adapters you can load roms for any of these systems. With the latest firmware I play SG 1000, nes, Famicom Disk System, Game Gear, etc.

I am tempted to pickup the Retron 5 Game Gear/Master System Adapter so I can backup my Master System carts and save files though. It would also give me an excuse to start collecting Game Gear carts too!

scotland

Postby scotland » August 30th, 2017, 6:10 pm

One issue is that you can currently buy a Retron 5 from Amazon, but the Retro Freak (from Play-Asia) is not currently in stock

Thank you Dave and everyone - I am giving serious thought to one of these systems.

Like many of us, I have shelves of video game cartridges from the 70s,80s and 90s, but I really confine myself to playing on a CRT for almost all of them. It doesn't sound like lag is really an issue here, and they both seem to accept the vintage controllers for the system.

Its a shame there are no ports for anything Pre-Famicom, but so goes the clock, I guess.

Return to “Review Feedback”