The Games of Autumn

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The Games of Autumn

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 1st, 2017, 6:32 pm

I'm still trudging through my backlog of summer game reviews, but I'd better hurry up because it's starting to feel like Fall, which means a gradual transition to Fall sports (read: football) and Halloween games!

I'd love to hear your ideas and recommendations.

Stalvern

Re: The Games of Autumn

Postby Stalvern » September 1st, 2017, 7:42 pm

It's about time you had a Faxanadu review.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2017, 11:25 am

Just pulled it off my shelf. What is this thing? Does it have anything to do with Fall?

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » September 2nd, 2017, 2:38 pm

I'm always tempted to give Faxanadu a try because I remember there being alot of buzz about it back in the day, but I have a hard time getting going early on.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 2nd, 2017, 4:48 pm

The Witness is a puzzle game for PS4 that has lots of nice fall imagery. I have not tried it yet.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » September 2nd, 2017, 4:50 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:I'm always tempted to give Faxanadu a try because I remember there being alot of buzz about it back in the day, but I have a hard time getting going early on.

I have been playing this game on my NES Classic. I enjoy it but to be honest I need help from a gamefaq guide to move things along. It's not a great game in my opinion but does have a few things going for it. Anyway, would love to see a VGC review.I think he would rate it a C-.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 2nd, 2017, 5:06 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Just pulled it off my shelf. What is this thing? Does it have anything to do with Fall?

It's very brown and takes place mostly inside an enormous dying tree. The tree's made of stone for some reason, but the atmosphere is still autumnal, especially in contrast with the ending cutscene.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 2nd, 2017, 6:37 pm

If you're looking for new scary games, you could check out the Outlast collection or the Amnesia collection on PS4. Outlast is a classic "breakout in the insane asylum" setting, but Amnesia is more supernatural and Lovecraftian. Both feature the same "run and hide from the bad guys" gameplay. You've played Alien: Isolation, so you know what I'm talking about.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » September 2nd, 2017, 11:51 pm

How about Haunted Adventure Trilogy for the Atari 2600, which is available in the Atari Age store:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l= ... tail&p=933

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 3rd, 2017, 12:53 am

How about Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for the Game Boy Advance?

The Super Nintendo game is of course present when you select original mode, but the meat of the game is in the new arrange mode which heavily remixes levels from the older games, adds new bosses, etc. I'm glad I finally gave this one a chance after years of thinking it was just a watered down GBA conversion of a game that I already owned.

And it's not a suggestion for a Fall game since every season is represented in the game, but I do love the tracks that are set in the Fall in Racing Gears Advance for the Game Boy Advance. Come to think of it, it reminds me of how you race through the seasons in Bump 'n' Jump.

And I like the suggestion for The Witness.

Return to “Video Games General”