Gran Turismo Sport OUTRAGE!

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Gran Turismo Sport OUTRAGE!

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 21st, 2017, 11:47 am

You guys all know how I've railed against online requirements in general but especially in single player modes. I think the situation has finally reached a head.

My friend Brent is a car nut and certified Gran Turismo fanatic. He had been putting off purchasing a PS4 until a GT game was available. He's been waiting for YEARS. But just as he was able to pull the trigger, he read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comment ... career_if/

Absolutely outrageous. Can we all agree that online requirements have not only poisoned the well for multiplayer action, but now single player too? I'm sure glad we love classic games around here, because that might be all we're playing in the future.

Comments?

Atariboy

Re: Gran Turismo Sport OUTRAGE!

Postby Atariboy » October 21st, 2017, 12:46 pm

I thought it was going to be a thread about the online focus of the game, which I have no particular issue with. There's a place for online-centric multiplayer games just as there's a place for quality single and local multiplayer games.

But that even the single player components have an online mandate just to be able to save your progress, is distasteful.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 21st, 2017, 1:48 pm

I'll be the first to defend online features if they add something to the experience, but this...this is terrible.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » October 21st, 2017, 5:48 pm

I think that means you need to get Sine Mora on the switch, play it and review it. Old school sideways shooter. I have it on the 360 download only but it is a physical release on the switch.

It is the way a lot of consoles are going with this online only bs. Really I only like 1 player and refuse to buy the games which are online only apart from Star wars which I got for 4 credits recently. The problem with it is that for a lot of the game modes no one is playing it as such you cannot play it.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 22nd, 2017, 12:38 am

The reponses to that post are heartening. It's good to know that there are levels of exploitative sleaze that even gamers won't put up with.

I hope the suits take the hint, but I actually hope more that they just run things into the ground until we get another crash. This industry needs a real smack in the face.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » October 22nd, 2017, 7:31 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:You guys all know how I've railed against online requirements in general but especially in single player modes. I think the situation has finally reached a head.

My friend Brent is a car nut and certified Gran Turismo fanatic. He had been putting off purchasing a PS4 until a GT game was available. He's been waiting for YEARS. But just as he was able to pull the trigger, he read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comment ... career_if/

Absolutely outrageous. Can we all agree that online requirements have not only poisoned the well for multiplayer action, but now single player too? I'm sure glad we love classic games around here, because that might be all we're playing in the future.

Comments?

And once Sony no longer maintains those PS4 servers, you're out of luck. It's your game. You bought it. You should be able to play all the content no matter what Sony does with their servers. I agree this is horrible and it will only get worse.

GTS

Postby GTS » October 22nd, 2017, 10:26 pm

The best you can wish for is a huge public backlash. Hopefully your friend will get to play.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » October 23rd, 2017, 10:43 am

I would mock those who like Online-Only games and games with Singleplayer Using Online status but now isn't the time because this isn't IGN. I've always been against Online-Only games because they eventually will be taken offline and after that? All the effort you put in is gone.

I did enjoy DooM but it's online requirement for Single Player was annoying, Now that Gran Turismo Sport requires this I pretty much will believe that the "Real Driving Simulator" is but a dead dog with nothing to show. :twisted:

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » October 23rd, 2017, 7:30 pm

TheBlondeGamePunk3 wrote:I would mock those who like Online-Only games and games with Singleplayer Using Online status but now isn't the time because this isn't IGN. I've always been against Online-Only games because they eventually will be taken offline and after that? All the effort you put in is gone.

I did enjoy DooM but it's online requirement for Single Player was annoying, Now that Gran Turismo Sport requires this I pretty much will believe that the "Real Driving Simulator" is but a dead dog with nothing to show. :twisted:

I haven't played many games that are online only unless you count MMO's but I would never mock someone just because that's what they want to play.

I'm not willing to put up with always online to be able to play a game. However it's no hair off my backside if the next guy loves a game and is willing to put up with a little extra hassle to be able to play it.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 23rd, 2017, 9:18 pm

Wallyworld wrote:I'm not willing to put up with always online to be able to play a game. However it's no hair off my backside if the next guy loves a game and is willing to put up with a little extra hassle to be able to play it.

It actually is, though. If people reward this trash, it'll end up in games that you do want to play.

Return to “Video Games General”