Wrestling Game Reviews by Rockofhysteria

The readers post their own reviews.
rockofhysteria

Re: Wrestling Game Reviews by Rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » August 9th, 2017, 4:12 pm

Ok folks time for another review for this one I'm going Modern so with that I present WWE 2k17 which is out for the Xbox One,PS4 Xbox 360 PS3 and Windows. I will be reviewing the Xbox One Version here

I will skip my normal intro and get right to the review

Graphics-This is the absolute most beautiful wrestling game ever made. Everything is created in great and beautiful detail the wrestlers,the arenas,All beautiful

Sound-The sound of this game is good for the most part the only bad part is the in match commentary it's so repetitive and boring but that's par for the course with every wrestling game ever that has this feature.

Gameplay-The Gameplay is pretty good here though there is a learning curb if you haven't played any of the games for Xbox one or PS4. But overall it plays really good. The guys move more realistically than ever before. Your standard WWE 2k game modes are all here including WWE Universe mode which is completely revamped forthe first time ever you can have 3 different Universe Saves going which means 3 seperate Universes to have fun with.In Universe Mode you create your roster of wrestlers your weekly TV shows and Monthly PPV's You set rivalries and now you can even do Promos in your TV shows unfortunately the Promos aren't very good at all they are all generic as heck which sucks the fun out of it. But the overall WWE universe experience is Fantastic and can really suck you in. The Create a Wrestler is the greatest it's ever been and that is really saying something. The amount of Detail you can use is even greater this time around thanks to a website for Community Creations that allows you to upload pics from your computer to use in the game for things like Logos , Ring Attires even wrestlers faces,You can even use this for Creating Championships so your created titles look like the real thing.The only bad thing is no custom soundtracks which is the fault of Microsoft not 2kgames. There is also MYCAREER where you use a created wrestler and play through the career of a WWE Suerstar. It's a nice idea but it's execution just sucks,It's so tedious and boring at times it takes so much playing just to make a little headway.Another few gripes I have with Gameplay is that you can't do time limits on matches,They took out the Mixed Tag Team matches and took out the 3 on 3 elimination matches in the Elimination Chamber.

Roster-The roster of this game is pretty good a mix of current WWE wrestlers including several from NXT and a mix of WWE Legends and Hall of Famers I'm not going to list all of them because it would take too long lol so I'll mention some of the standouts like Sting making his 3rd appearance in a WWE Game, The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael Hayes,Buddy Roberts and Jimmy Garvin) Kevin and Kerry Von Erich,Earthquake and Typhoon,The New Age Outlaws,Razor Ramon and Diesel as well as their WCW Personas,Jim Neidhart,Bret Hart(both WWE and WCW Versions) British Bulldog,Brian Pillman,Steve Austin(Both Stone Cold and Stunning Steve versions)Psycho Sid,Tatanka,Papa Shango,The Godfather,Brutus Beefcake,and Greg The Hammer Valentine.

The Final Piece of this review is the Online portion-This absolutely 100 percent SUCKS. The Gameplay is so laggy and bogged down it's pretty much unplayable. Reversals are so hard to do because of the lag.The sad thing is it's been this way for YEARS and they have made no attempt to make it better.

Well there you have it folks WWE 2k17 here is the final breakdown

Graphics-A+

Sound-B

Gameplay-A

Roster-A

Online-F++++++++

for a final grade of A.

I'm not sure what game to do next but I'm open for suggestions :)

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 18th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Could you do a review for Tecmo World Wrestling for the NES some day? I've always liked that one, and I feel that it's by far the best of all the 8 bit era wrestling games.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » August 18th, 2017, 11:57 pm

lynchie137 wrote:Could you do a review for Tecmo World Wrestling for the NES some day? I've always liked that one, and I feel that it's by far the best of all the 8 bit era wrestling games.

Thanks for the Suggestion I will do that game Next :)

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » August 20th, 2017, 6:55 pm

rockofhysteria wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:Could you do a review for Tecmo World Wrestling for the NES some day? I've always liked that one, and I feel that it's by far the best of all the 8 bit era wrestling games.

Thanks for the Suggestion I will do that game Next :)

Thank you, sir. I can't wait to read it.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 6th, 2017, 1:35 pm

How does 2K17 stack up with 2K16? I just returned 2K16 for All Stars because I just could not grasp the controls, and I felt like I lost for cheap reasons.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » October 19th, 2017, 11:41 pm

Angry Nerd just made a video of all the NES and SNES wrestling games. Basically he trashed all the games with the LJN label and praised one on SNES made by Midway. Once I saw the title of his video I instantly thought about this thread.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » October 23rd, 2017, 7:52 pm

Herschie wrote:How does 2K17 stack up with 2K16? I just returned 2K16 for All Stars because I just could not grasp the controls, and I felt like I lost for cheap reasons.

For me personally it's kind of a wash between those two because 2K17 has better gameplay and better features but 2K16 has a superior Roster IMO especially if you are a WCW nut like I am lol.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 24th, 2017, 10:50 pm

rockofhysteria wrote:
Herschie wrote:]

For me personally it's kind of a wash between those two because 2K17 has better gameplay and better features but 2K16 has a superior Roster IMO especially if you are a WCW nut like I am lol.

Bout the only guy I want in my wrestling game is the Million Dollar Man. When I asked Gamestop how much 2K16 was, the lady didn't seem amused when I exclaimed "Everybody's got a price!". I seem to be the only one who thinks I'm funny.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » October 25th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Herschie wrote:
rockofhysteria wrote:
Herschie wrote:]

Bout the only guy I want in my wrestling game is the Million Dollar Man. When I asked Gamestop how much 2K16 was, the lady didn't seem amused when I exclaimed "Everybody's got a price!". I seem to be the only one who thinks I'm funny.

Well if you want to play as him in a modern era game you need to track down WWE 2k14 for the 360 lol he's in 2k16 and 17 and 18 but as a Manager only unfortunately.

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » November 27th, 2017, 12:40 am

Ok folks it's been a long while since I did a review so I figured time to do one. And this one is by request so with that I present Tecmo World Wrestling for the NES it was Developed and Published by Tecmo

As I have stated the 8-bit era wasn't known for a lot of great wrestling games. Truth be told it's about 98 percent wrestlecrap lol. But there are a very precious few diamonds in the very thick rough. Of course there is the Nintendo Classic Pro Wrestling from Nintendo which I have reviewed and WWF Wrestlemania Challenge which is the best Licensed wrestling game of the era (which isn't saying much but still). But now I present to you the biggest and best Diamond of them all IMO the best wrestling game of the 8 bit era. Let's break it down.

Graphics-This game is gorgeous graphically each wrestler is represented in great detail.The Ring and backrounds look beautiful as well Tecmo really knew how to make great looking 8 bit graphics back in the day.

Sound-Nothing special here like usual

Gameplay-This is where it gets great :) The gameplay mechanics here are really good. Each wrestler has a varied moveset including a Finishing Move. The matches flow pretty smooth considering the technology of the time. There isn't a lot of variety for game modes just a 1-player gauntlet of singles matches and a 2 player vs mode. But everything else is so much fun you don't really mind.And the coolest feature for me this game has in match commentary. Of course it's text lol but it's really cool none the less. The only thing that isn't great is these little training button mashing sequences before the match. It's a neat idea but not neat execution.

Roster-Now none of the wrestlers in the game are technically real wrestler but each one graphically and movesetwise are based off of real life wrestlers. Here is that breakdown. Akira Dragon-Antonio Inoki, El Tigre-Tiger Mask.Pat Gordon-Lou Thesz.Rex Beat-Road Warrior Animal.Jackie Lee-a mix of Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee for some reason lol.Boris Checkov-Stan Hansen.Mark Rose-Ravishing Rick Rude,Julio Falcon-Hulk Hogan,Randy Gomez-Butch Reed,Dr.Guildo-Big Van Vader,Blue King-Super Strong Machine.

So there you have it folks Tecmo World Wrestling a game that stands head and shoulders as the best 8 bit wrestling game. Here is the final breakdown.

Graphics-A+

Sound-C

Gameplay-A+

Roster-A+

For a Final grade of A+

Not sure what game I'll do next so as always I'm open for suggestion.

Return to “Reader Reviews”