iPhone X

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
David

iPhone X

Postby David » November 2nd, 2017, 8:29 am

Any of you getting the new iPhone X? I was on the fence until a few days before preorders opened and then I just decided to get it anyways. The only regret I have is getting the 64 GB version instead of the 256 GB. I have the 256 GB iPhone 7 plus and only use 30-ish GB, but if I keep the X for 2 years I’m a little worried about space.

scotland

Re: iPhone X

Postby scotland » November 2nd, 2017, 9:49 am

I am an android guy, but I was surprised Samsung went back to letting buyers put in their own SD cards again. Still got an audio jack too.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 3rd, 2017, 7:10 am

No way. I hang onto my phones until they die. Currently on a iPhone 6 (not plus). If I had to get another one, it would probably be the CE. Even the 6 feels too big for me still, and I have no idea how users of the plus sizes carry those things around.

I'm not into the minor upgrades (slightly better camera, etc), sonim never tempted by the latest releases. Also, I've been making a conscious effort to use my phone less for my overall health and whatnot.

David

Postby David » November 4th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Face ID works well. Not quite as fast as the second generation touch ID, but it works pretty well in most situations. The OLED screen is nice, but then again, their LCDs were also top of the line so I never had too many complaints about the screen to begin with. The nicest thing is the new form factor. It’s nice to get rid of the chunkier bezels and have a larger screen in a smaller body. Funtionally it’s not a drastic difference than my 7 plus, but I’m pretty happy with my purchase so far.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » November 8th, 2017, 7:00 pm

I am just gutted that MS pulled out of the phones market. I always love them for their simplicity. Though last one I had was the 630 and I would not have bought another one but it fell out of its case and broke.
Then I got samsung j5 which an update rendered useless. It stole all the memory for the OS. It has so much bloatware on it anyway.
Now I have an LGk8 2017. So far it has lasted longer than the samsung which only lasted about 2 months before parts of it started breaking. Plus I would be walking down the road and it would say... If you said something I did not hear it. Over and over. I hated that phone.
Remember if you have an Iphone X get a case for it as it is reportedly fragile.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 8th, 2017, 9:17 pm

My girlfriend has an X on the way, but I've decided to downsize to the regular iPhone 8. I've been using a plus model for the past year and I'm growing weary of not being able to reach everything on the screen with my thumb.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » November 13th, 2017, 6:30 pm

I have an LG flip phone from work (they will eventually force me to take an upgrade, but haven't pushed it on me yet luckily) and no other cell phone. I was really into Blackberry for awhile, but got out of that and the entire Smartphone scene because of what it made me feel like. My wife is out now too, choosing to upgrade her iPad into a PC last time she had enough of tablets. I hate Smartphone and tablet culture now (forced obsolescence, people clapping when you enter a store, always being "available to communicate" except when you are face to face, etc.) and when work eventually forces a Samsung on me, I'll start leaving it in the charging dock at work when I go home.

The "clapping at your customers for spending money" in this news coverage was about the worst thing I ever saw in my life. Bring on some conquering alien overlords please.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-PSHSOUmM

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 14th, 2017, 9:37 pm

Atarifever wrote:I hate Smartphone and tablet culture now (forced obsolescence, people clapping when you enter a store, always being "available to communicate" except when you are face to face, etc.)

To me, the iPhone is a handy camera, a GPS, a communication device that keeps me in touch with people I care about, and a decent portable gaming device bundled into one.

It is NOT a means to stay tethered to work 24/7 nor is it an escape from face-to-face communication. There are many correct ways to integrate smart phones into your life. There are also plenty of incorrect ways.

If you've never owned one, I would recommend considering a basic iPhone. Apple supports their devices with new software updates for many years, in contrast to Samsung and other major manufacturers who drop the old models the moment something new comes out. This is because Apple continues to make money from licensing software on the App Store, and from the surrounding services and products they sell. You can easily get a solid 5 years of continual use out of an iPhone if you take care of it.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 15th, 2017, 8:24 pm

Agreed, like anything else, it’s how you use it. Mine is a tool, and aside from keeping me busy while on the throne (such as now), lol, I don’t really see it as entertainment.

It IS BAD for people that don’t feel they can function without it or have no other hobbies. And you’re right, there are quite a few people out there like that.

Return to “Other Media”