This video is a must watch that exposes modern gaming shady trends!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

This video is a must watch that exposes modern gaming shady trends!

Postby Sonicx9 » November 2nd, 2017, 2:03 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXHbsMIMyCI

This video is one people should watch because I 100% agree with everything it says about DLC/Microtranactions/patches, etc!

Sonicx9

Re: This video is a must watch that exposes modern gaming shady trends!

Postby Sonicx9 » November 12th, 2017, 1:54 pm

I am surprised that no one has watched this video because it is something that more people need to watch with everything bad going on with video games today!

scotland

Postby scotland » November 12th, 2017, 1:58 pm

I believe this is called 'thread bumping'.

For my two cents, instead of posting 'hey, watch this video' I would prefer you post your thoughts on the video.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 12th, 2017, 2:18 pm

I finally got a chance to watch this video today and it's pretty insightful. The first seven minutes or so are the guy talking about his new Xbox (original) collection. Then he transitions into how those games are so different from today.

I'm glad I'm not the only person out there who's turned off by the industry practices of today. When you "buy" a game today you're really not getting the whole game, but that's never advertised on the box. I think there are several reasons why the industry is getting aways with indulging in such customer-hostile practices:

- the gaming media is in bed with the publishers, so they dare not mention the downsides of modern games like arduous installs, constant updates, nickel-and-diming microtransactions, etc.
- a lot of younger gamers just don't know any better. Their console has always been online so the ideal of plug-and-play is not something they expect
- offline gamers (which constitutes the majority) don't have as big a voice, since the online people (many of whom embrace the new model) are much more likely to voice their opinions on sites and social media. So people online assume they are representative of the masses.

Some people will claim "a game is a game" no matter how you get it, but I disagree. The packaging (if there is any), installation, updates, loading, and the menu interface are all part of the experience. The rest of the media conveniently ignores these because frankly they would not reflect well on the publisher.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 12th, 2017, 5:27 pm

scotland wrote:I believe this is called 'thread bumping'.

For my two cents, instead of posting 'hey, watch this video' I would prefer you post your thoughts on the video.

My thoughts on this video is like what the critic said below, it is one of the main reason why I do not like buying most video games at launch anymore because most games at launch are buggy/glitch/incomplete mess that makes you not want to get these games until they make GOTY, Gold, update versions, or they fix the base games many months later, which should have worked at launch, etc.

I also can not stand DLC/Season Pass's/Micro-Transactions/Loot Box's because for DLC/Season Pass's it can cost more then the full on games at times and it is bad enough that games are expensive, but when they are buggy broken, and need DLC/Season Pass's it gets more expensive then you think. And for Micro-Transactions and Loot Box's it is awful because many games are unplayable with out them, and when you buy into Micro-Transactions and Loot Box's. Not only does it empty your wallet, but it also makes the game way too easy and unbalanced!

That's my response to the video.

VideoGameCritic wrote:I finally got a chance to watch this video today and it's pretty insightful. The first seven minutes or so are the guy talking about his new Xbox (original) collection. Then he transitions into how those games are so different from today.

I'm glad I'm not the only person out there who's turned off by the industry practices of today. When you "buy" a game today you're really not getting the whole game, but that's never advertised on the box. I think there are several reasons why the industry is getting aways with indulging in such customer-hostile practices:

- the gaming media is in bed with the publishers, so they dare not mention the downsides of modern games like arduous installs, constant updates, nickel-and-diming microtransactions, etc.
- a lot of younger gamers just don't know any better. Their console has always been online so the ideal of plug-and-play is not something they expect
- offline gamers (which constitutes the majority) don't have as big a voice, since the online people (many of whom embrace the new model) are much more likely to voice their opinions on sites and social media. So people online assume they are representative of the masses.

Some people will claim "a game is a game" no matter how you get it, but I disagree. The packaging (if there is any), installation, updates, loading, and the menu interface are all part of the experience. The rest of the media conveniently ignores these because frankly they would not reflect well on the publisher.

About the part where you say about "the gaming media is in bed with the publishers, so they dare not mention the downsides of modern games like arduous installs, constant updates, nickel-and-diming microtransactions, etc." You want to know which game publishers do this crap, it is AAA publisher's/developer's such as EA/Take-Two Interactive/Activison/Ubisoft/Bethesda/WB Games/Microsoft/Sony, etc. Are the worst in terms of this terrible corruption of gaming media because they love to buy and pay the gaming media to rig reviews/shady business practices, etc. And a fun fact when you go on websites such as YouTube. You get tones of advertisements for stuff from EA/Take-Two Interactive/Activison/Ubisoft/Bethesda/WB Games/Microsoft/Sony, etc. But if it is Sega/Konami/Capcom/Bandai Namco/other smaller to mid size publisher's and developer's and Indie devs, etc. They get little to no advertisements on YouTube by comparison which means the big companies blackmail everything which is terrible!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 14th, 2017, 7:04 pm

Update: Star Wars Battlefront II has gotten positive reviews from critics, but is universally panned by users on Metacritic because of the god awful Microtransaction/Loot-Boxs, etc!: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... lefront-ii

Also this tweet does hate how Metacritic bonus money is given if games get high scores which is shady and corrupt!: https://twitter.com/RazorBladeMango/sta ... 5064607744

Thoughts on this?

scotland

Postby scotland » November 14th, 2017, 7:27 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Update: Star Wars Battlefront II has gotten positive reviews from critics, but is universally panned by users on Metacritic

Interesting. I think there is just a fundamental difference with critics and users on all sorts of things. I just got a new smartphone, but I find critic reviews not all that useful. I want to know things like how reliable a phone is a year later, or if its worth the price, or what little features drive people nuts or that they love, etc, where the critics just go on about how great the camera is or the high tech face scanning security feature. Its the same with all sorts of products, video games included.

Users may care about different things - value, service, maybe even long standing trends in the industry they still think are not consumer friendly, but critics just focus on the glitz. On the other hand, if users hate one part of a game, then they are likely to savage it with downvotes, instead of taking it into consideration for a more balanced rating.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 15th, 2017, 3:17 am

Ok initially I thought it was SonicX being sensationalist, but Wow ! People are hating on this game big time.
It sounds like a mobile pay to win game but your being charged $60 for the privilege. Apparently all the big name heroes are behind a paywall.

Don’t understand why the Critic reviews are so positive and ignore this massive elephant in the room. Looks like gamers are really upset with this one.

TheBlondeGamePunk3

Postby TheBlondeGamePunk3 » November 15th, 2017, 11:52 am

Well, It's Star Wars.. What do people expect when they keep beating a dead horse? It seems one of the developers who were programming the game has been getting death threats similar to how No Man's Sky developer Hello Games received death threats over how the game was delayed and later over how the game was generally no where near as good as what they hyped it to be.

The fan's anger when a game goes wrong speaks when words can't but threatening isn't the answer unless we are living in a masochist timeframe for gaming... Now with Star Wars Battlefront II, Their attempts to lead people astray are dastardly but it's likely nothing will be done because you know.. They make the game, We play them and no.. I don't think boycotts work. :cry: :x 8-)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » February 6th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Another video that complains about modern gaming shady trends!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMewd_Owt8Q

This one is old from 2013, but has the same thing to say about today's games!

Return to “Modern Gaming”