Got me a SWITCH!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Retro STrife

Re: Got me a SWITCH!

Postby Retro STrife » November 15th, 2017, 12:46 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:Ya I am really enjoying Mario Odyssey but I am not sure if it warrants all the perfect 10's I have been seeing on various review sites.

Take away the mustache and rename him Jim, and everyone would change their scores to 9's.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 15th, 2017, 7:41 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
newmodelarmy wrote:Ya I am really enjoying Mario Odyssey but I am not sure if it warrants all the perfect 10's I have been seeing on various review sites.

Take away the mustache and rename him Jim, and everyone would change their scores to 9's.

Fair point, but that’s the same with any franchise with a positive history. And if a franchise has survived that long, I think they’ve earned enough credibility to get that little extra bump.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 15th, 2017, 7:49 pm

Also I’m kind of surprised at all the parents who let their young kids play. Maybe it’s the 36 year old papaw in me, but 3 and 5 year’s old seems WAY to young to get into video games.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » November 17th, 2017, 9:53 am

5 seems fine, 3 seems a bit young to be playing a "real" video game console, and not one of those leap frog learning devices.

I have been seeing Switches pop up at Target, and they have had several in the case each time I have gone there for a couple months I'd say, although last sunday was the first time I had seen one at walmart. I don't know about the Switch; I don't really envision myself playing it a whole lot outside of Super Mario Odyssey.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 17th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Ya I am struggling to find other games to play on the system but I will give it a chance. The E Shop is a confusing unorganized mess. Also I am enjoying Mario Odyssey but it is NOT a perfect 10. While there are some great ideas and fun to be had there are also very boring and straight forward "missions". I would say a very strong 8 out of 10. Looking forward to checking out Zelda which i picked up last week.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » November 18th, 2017, 6:31 am

Voor wrote:Also I’m kind of surprised at all the parents who let their young kids play. Maybe it’s the 36 year old papaw in me, but 3 and 5 year’s old seems WAY to young to get into video games.

I work with kids (specifically developmentally delayed kids and kids with autism), and I have to say, other than a lot of kids with Autism liking Mario and Minecraft, I'm not seeing much of concern with kids and videogames. Kids and tablets though? I'm starting to think they cause delays. I mean that literally. You only have to see it in so many cases before you wonder what part is the chicken and what part is the egg.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 18th, 2017, 6:57 am

Atarifever wrote:
Voor wrote:Also I’m kind of surprised at all the parents who let their young kids play. Maybe it’s the 36 year old papaw in me, but 3 and 5 year’s old seems WAY to young to get into video games.

I work with kids (specifically developmentally delayed kids and kids with autism), and I have to say, other than a lot of kids with Autism liking Mario and Minecraft, I'm not seeing much of concern with kids and videogames. Kids and tablets though? I'm starting to think they cause delays. I mean that literally. You only have to see it in so many cases before you wonder what part is the chicken and what part is the egg.

Yeah, I can not stand parents that shove an iPad in front of their kids’ faces to keep them quiet anytime they are fussy or bored. I had a family member that had his son addicted to a tablet before he was 2 years old.

My issue is that young kids are still developing a concept for concrete awareness and to expose them to something as abstract as video games before they’re developmentally ready is not healthy. There are PLENTY of other ways to keep them busy and help them learn and grow besides TV and video games. But they take more of an effort on the parents part.

I personally wouldn’t let them play until age 7 or so depending on the kid. And after that, I think it should be restricted in order to prevent it from becoming their primary form of entertainment.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » November 18th, 2017, 7:29 am

Voor wrote:
Atarifever wrote:

Yeah, I can not stand parents that shove an iPad in front of their kids’ faces to keep them quiet anytime they are fussy or bored. I had a family member that had his son addicted to a tablet before he was 2 years old.

My issue is that young kids are still developing a concept for concrete awareness and to expose them to something as abstract as video games before they’re developmentally ready is not healthy. There are PLENTY of other ways to keep them busy and help them learn and grow besides TV and video games. But they take more of an effort on the parents part.

I personally wouldn’t let them play until age 7 or so depending on the kid. And after that, I think it should be restricted in order to prevent it from becoming their primary form of entertainment.

Could not agree with your statement more. I was in a store the other day stuck in line and somebody was letting their 2 yr old watch videos as they slobbered over their iPhone. I also know a number of parents that literally take their kid up to bed, plop them down and let them watch the iPad until they fall asleep. Absolutely disgraceful lazy parenting in my opinion. While I let my 8yr old play video games it is strictly in a limited sense, non-violent stuff like Mario and I am always watching/playing with her. To each is own I guess but I don't think it is a good idea to have your kids addicted to tablets at all. Just look around at the populace, everybody is totally addicted to their phones like a bunch of mindless zombies.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » November 18th, 2017, 9:57 am

Voor wrote:

I can see that concern. I think, though, that will depend on their setting and other factors. We live in a rural area and have a large piece of land, as well as a very safe town and neighbourhood. Thus, my kids get a lot of exposure to the real world outside. For my kids, most of the day in three seasons is spent outside playing in the woods on our property or on a meadow somewhere around town. For Christmas, in addition to the Switch, they're both getting new GT Snowracers and snowshoes. Videogames are not their primary exposure to the world, or anywhere close. If, on the other hand, we lived in a city and my kids main exposure to the world was, say, a tiny little lawn and some parks, maybe I'd feel different about exposing them to virtual worlds.

Return to “Modern Gaming”