Wrestling Game Reviews by Rockofhysteria

The readers post their own reviews.
Retro STrife

Re: Wrestling Game Reviews by Rockofhysteria

Postby Retro STrife » November 27th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Another great review. I never realized that Tecmo World Wrestling was a good game. I'll definitely have to check it out.

Since you're looking for other ideas:
How about something from the Fire Pro Wrestling series? I've never played any of them, but I've always heard good things, so it would be interesting to hear about one or two games that were the peak of the series.

I also have heard that the WWE Smackdown vs. Raw series is good, especially 2003 and 2006, but I've never tried them. If you agree, it would be interesting to hear your take.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 27th, 2017, 11:15 pm

May I suggest the Intellivision's wrestling game as one that might surprise you? Mattel Electronics were the sports kings of their day, and it's far more sophisticated than you might expect from the late 70's technology.

Also, will you only be doing console reviews, or is everything fair game? I'd love to hear what you make of WWF's Microleague series - it's combat system is menu based, and it uses digitzed photographs for every move. There's no way they could possibly have fit very much into a floppy disc, but it's a time capsule for fans of the 80's WWF.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » November 28th, 2017, 6:02 am

Completely agree with your review of Tecmo World Wrestling. I used to rent that one from the local grocery store almost every week (the good old days...). What a great game!

I second the suggestion to review Fire Pro Wrestling games. Fair warning to those that have not tried them but they do have a decent learning curve as the fighting system is all timing based. Once you get it though I'm convinced you'll fall in love with the game series. The latest game "Fire Pro Wrestling World" is out now on Steam and I highly recommend it!

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » November 28th, 2017, 12:51 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:May I suggest the Intellivision's wrestling game as one that might surprise you? Mattel Electronics were the sports kings of their day, and it's far more sophisticated than you might expect from the late 70's technology.

Also, will you only be doing console reviews, or is everything fair game? I'd love to hear what you make of WWF's Microleague series - it's combat system is menu based, and it uses digitzed photographs for every move. There's no way they could possibly have fit very much into a floppy disc, but it's a time capsule for fans of the 80's WWF.

I may do the Intellivision Wrestling game at some point just have to play it lol haven't played that same since probably the late 90's

I would LOVE to review Microleague unfortunately I've never played it and have no way to get ahold of a copy of it :(

My next review will most likely be Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for the PS2 since that's the one Fire Pro Game I've put the most time into over the years.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » November 28th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Love the review on Tecmo World Wrestling. That one was a blast to play back in the day, and it still holds up well today.

And if you're looking for more old school wrestling games to review later on, might I suggest tag team Wrestling for the NES. To me, it was not only one of the absolute WORST wrestling games I've ever played, it's also one of the worst games I've sat down and played ever. I'd like to see what you think of it...

Tron

Postby Tron » December 11th, 2017, 11:29 pm

Hey Herschie, nice to see another Ted Dibiase fan. Not my favorite wrestler, but probably top 10.

I enjoyed Tecmo wrestling too. I still liked Pro Wrestling better, but Tecmo was the only other wrestling game on the NES that I liked.

I've dumped countless hours on Fire Pro Wrestling on the the Gameboy Advance. I tried getting into Returns on PS2, but just couldn't dedicate the time to recreate all the wrestlers I had already made on the GBA so I don't play it. There's even more create a wrestler options on the PS2 so it would take along time to just learn the menus and create just 1 wrestler. Still it looks good and if I ever got sent to prison and was allowed one game I'd probably pick Returns.

Return to “Reader Reviews”