Winter Games!

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Winter Games!

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 3rd, 2017, 10:47 am

This is the time of the year when I start checking the weather forecast for snow - no luck so far. I'm like a little kid.

I do have a few snow-related games ready to go. This is going to be a big snow year with the winter olympics and all.

Any winter games in your future? Any suggestions for me?

Stalvern

Re: Winter Games!

Postby Stalvern » December 3rd, 2017, 1:10 pm

StarTropics II still doesn't have a review, even though the first game does. Plenty of ice and snow opening that one.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » December 3rd, 2017, 1:19 pm

I Am Setsuna. It’s a wintry RPG inspired by SNES classics like Chrono Trigger.

616A35AC-0D03-401C-A869-5DAC22370113.png
616A35AC-0D03-401C-A869-5DAC22370113.png (94.9 KiB) Viewed 2581 times

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 3rd, 2017, 4:31 pm

Setsuna might be my next Switch game!
Startropics 2 looks good too - and won't break the bank either.
Good ideas guys!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » December 3rd, 2017, 4:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Setsuna might be my next Switch game!
Startropics 2 looks good too - and won't break the bank either.
Good ideas guys!

Critic, if you want I am Setsuna on the Nintendo Switch physical in English. You can import the region free Japanese/Asian version on both Amazon and eBay: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i ... 155GPT2V2B and https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... c&LH_BIN=1

The Japanese/Asian Nintendo Switch releases have English mode included on the cart along with the Nintendo Switch being region free!

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » December 4th, 2017, 2:02 am

It might not be the best suggestion (since it's already been reviewed) but GoldenEye on the Nintendo 64 always reminds me of winter. Or, rather, winter always reminds me of GoldenEye! The outdoor stages, where you're running through Siberia, have such a low-key soundtrack, and the wide-open spaces in the level mean that you've got plenty of time to just trudge through the snow alone. Whenever I walk to work in the wintertime, or I'm outside with gently falling snow, I hear that song, and I'm taken back in time. It helps keep my mind off the fact that I'm nearly freezing to death, or that I'm stuck walking outside for miles to begin with :-\

As far as RPGs go, Setsuna on the Switch is a game that I've been meaning to pick up for some time, too. As far as other RPGs with a large emphasis on snow, I can't help but think of Phantasy Star II and IV on the Sega Genesis. Both games feature an ice planet (Dezo, or Dezoris, depending on the translation) that takes up the bulk of the latter half of the game. PSII, in particular, stands out in my mind for similar reasons to GoldenEye - you spend so much time walking around the snowy overworld, and hearing the same background song, that it just gets stuck in your head. I still think of the Dezo overworld music from PSII on particularly nasty snowy days, especially if I ever have to drive in the white stuff. The enemies in that part of the game were deadly, and it wasn't uncommon for a random battle to wipe your party out. Kind of like driving in the snow, it's easy to mess up, and one mistake can prove costly.

Come to think of it, I don't see any reviews for the Genesis Phantasy Star games. If you have some major time on your hands, Critic, they might be worth checking out! Just II and IV, though - III is a real stinker. You've been warned!!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 4th, 2017, 12:43 pm

Dead Rising 4 is set during Christmastime. I haven't played it, so I'm not sure how well it incorporates the theme, but may be worth a look.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » December 4th, 2017, 1:29 pm

two GBA games: x2: Wolverine's Revenge has some good snow level. There is also a game based on the movie "elf."

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 4th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Was searching for games earlier today and found this game called Santa Claus Saves the Earth, which was released in 2002 for PS1 and GBA. As far as I can tell, the PS1 game only got a European release, and can be a bit pricey on ebay. The GBA game is easier to find and pretty cheap. Looks like a terrible game, yet oddly appealing for Christmas. Here's a review I found too:

http://www.thepixelempire.net/santa-cla ... eview.html
Attachments
SantaSavesTheEarth_GBABOXboxart_160w.jpg
SantaSavesTheEarth_GBABOXboxart_160w.jpg (8.63 KiB) Viewed 2486 times

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 4th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Is Telegames still in business? Their Facebook page hasn't been updated in years, and their website has errors. (Search engine no longer works; trial download for their ColecoVision collection leads to an error.)

Return to “Video Games General”