Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Re: Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)

Postby Voor » December 7th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Quick question: 64 vs Sunshine?

Sunshine came out on the next console, with more polish, but would you say it’s a better game or has aged “better”?

64 (and Sunshine) is EXTREMELY popular in the Speedrunning community. Galaxy not so much, but oddessy is starting to take over.

https://youtu.be/5qM278YSN2s

ESauce

Postby ESauce » December 7th, 2017, 9:07 pm

I take 64 over Sunshine. I enjoy Sunshine but I still find it feels clumsy with the jet pack even after playing it a dozen times. Also Sunshine has cool big worlds but I prefer having a bunch of smaller worlds in 64. Plus Sunshine feels more padded with the blue coins

jon

Postby jon » December 7th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Mario 64 is better. It's still a big time system seller in retrospect. Nothing wrong with the game. But it could have been better definitely not A+ material but up there.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 7th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Eh, that was actually just to point out that my impressions of the game were based on 2000 standards (i.e., before the game aged), rather than 2017 standards. Not sure why I'd congratulate myself for thinking a game is overrated.

Fair enough. It looked like you were saying you were ahead of the curve in thinking it wasn't great. Sorry for misunderstanding you!

Retro STrife wrote:But joking aside, you gotta relax, Stalvern. You are literally making my point about fanatical Mario fans, practically losing your mind over there because I'm not singing Mario 64's praises. Like if someone loves the game then you're cool, but if they don't then they better provide you with a 10-page dissertation until you're satisfied with the reasons?... Not reasonable. I know it's your favorite series (based on what you've posted in other topics), but not everyone has to love it as much as you. I stated my personal reasons for liking but not loving it (btw, how many times do I have to emphasize that I never called it a bad game?), and that's good enough.

I wasn't losing my mind over someone not singing the game's praises and not writing ten pages of reasons; I was annoyed at someone dismissing it and its fans like you did while giving barely even one reason. Other people came in with much more substantial complaints (wonky camera, rough edges compared to later games, a lack of standout level themes) without calling the game an antiquated novelty and saying that the people who love it are Kool-aid drinkers blinded by hype and nostalgia (B grade or not, you talked about it like a C would have been generous). Heck, if you had hated the game, but at least said that you hated it because it's just a big dumb scavenger hunt or because the platform gameplay is vague and shallow compared to the 2D games or because it makes you wander back and forth through the levels several times to complete them, it wouldn't have occured to me to take issue, whether I agreed or not.

And for the record, as much respect as I have for it, I feel very little personal attachment to the Super Mario series in general.

Voor wrote:Quick question: 64 vs Sunshine?

Sunshine came out on the next console, with more polish, but would you say it’s a better game or has aged “better”?

64, no contest. The water cannon never stopped feeling like a clunky gimmick, the diversity and imagination of 64's worlds was toned way, way down, and the blue coins were hidden in the cheapest places possible. Plus, that part with the Chain Chomps and the lava was the biggest chore ever.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » December 8th, 2017, 12:09 am

Oh man, as my favorite game ever, I think this review is going to make me sad.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 8th, 2017, 2:56 pm

Voor wrote:Quick question: 64 vs Sunshine?

64 (and Sunshine) is EXTREMELY popular in the Speedrunning community. Galaxy not so much, but oddessy is starting to take over.

https://youtu.be/5qM278YSN2s

64. Sunshine has you cleaning. Cleaning is a chore. And I don't like to do chores.

jon

Postby jon » December 8th, 2017, 5:39 pm

I wouldn't be so high on SM64's levels. Nothing really stuck out. The first level Bom Bom Battlfield was the best. And that was just a technological show off. It's a great game, not an A+ and could have had some more bang for your buck.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » December 9th, 2017, 9:01 am

jon wrote:I wouldn't be so high on SM64's levels. Nothing really stuck out. The first level Bom Bom Battlfield was the best. And that was just a technological show off. It's a great game, not an A+ and could have had some more bang for your buck.

First level was the best? It sounds like you didn’t play very far into SM64.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 9th, 2017, 12:36 pm

BEst level? My first thought was the desert one with the pyramid, so I’ll stick with that.

jon

Postby jon » December 9th, 2017, 5:31 pm

Well, I'll reiterate it's a great game, that's true. But, Bom Bom Battlefield is a great level. I think that it's quality is the reason it was the first level. I'd go with an A-

Return to “Now Playing”