The Switch as throwback gaming for adults

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

The Switch as throwback gaming for adults

Postby scotland » December 15th, 2017, 7:45 am

https://kotaku.com/the-nintendo-switch-gave-me-back-my-video-games-1821306662/amp

A complimentary article on Kotaku on the Switch versus most of modern gaming. The gist is, many of us have grown up with video games, and games grew up with us. Now, as adults, we have only so much leisure time, but still want to game. Gaming however, has splintered into many sub cultures and ecosystems, each wanting massive time commitments.

The result may be more adult gamers bailing on modern gaming. That statement is just anecdotal, but it matches my experiences. The Switch, in this article, then becomes not 'everyone's second console' like the Wii, but the primary console for busy adults.

I don't own a Switch, but I think it's a matter of time now. For me, I still heavily use my Nintendo portables, but the Switch may put an end to that division. The Switch may become my next portable.

Lots of you do own Switches, so what do you think?

Voor

Re: The Switch as throwback gaming for adults

Postby Voor » December 15th, 2017, 7:33 pm

I can relate. I tend to play in 30 minute bursts, and I really like my 2DS because I can play quietly after everyone is asleep and I’m not chained to a TV. But I never used it outside the home, aside from bringing it on business trips (hotels).

Switch appeals to me, but I’m not ready to purchase one. Maybe next year.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 16th, 2017, 1:46 pm

Something to play for 30 minutes is quickly becoming the trend for me. I really, really want to get more involved in stuff, but I just do not have the time. I am currently playing tons of COD on Wii and some Etrian Odyssey IV again (a great 30 minute at a time RPG), but when my kids get their Switch for Christmas, I'm thinking I might give some portable SF 2 a try, as I've always wanted to get better at that.

When I look at the stuff out there for the other consoles, and most of the stuff for the Switch even, I feel further and further removed from being a "core" gamer. I don't want to have to lock in on one game for a year, but a 50 hour game means 100 nights in front of the TV for me. Maybe this helps; we'll see. To be honest though, portables to me are kind of difficult to fit in, as places a lot of people use them, I'd rather use a book, and I have a massive reading list set for myself this year.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 17th, 2017, 8:25 am

Same here, I got back into reading this year and remember how enjoyable that hobby is, as well as edifying. And watching GOT with my wife. And going on long walks around the neighborhood.

My gaming these days consistent of playing some Wii games with the kids for 30 or so minutes at night. I always tell myself that I’ll carve out some private time with some games but it doesn’t happen. But that’s OK....honestly, “serious” gaming solo isn’t very fun to me anymore.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » December 17th, 2017, 9:15 am

Atarifever wrote:To be honest though, portables to me are kind of difficult to fit in, as places a lot of people use them, I'd rather use a book, and I have a massive reading list set for myself this year.

I never use portables on planes or trips. Portables for me are great because I can play a game while my wife watches something I have no interest in

Return to “Video Games General”