Merry Christmas!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
Robotrek

Re: Merry Christmas!

Postby Robotrek » December 1st, 2017, 4:28 pm

Ah, yes. Christmas time. As a child it was all about what we got, now it's about what we give. This holiday makes me feel particularly old. Because among my earliest memories is when I was 6 years old, and was given a copy of "Breakfast in America" on Christmas morning for whatever reason. I didn't ask for it. I didn't even have a turntable! Apparently it was meant for my brother (Who got "Are we not men?" by Devo) and I ended up getting it by mistake. Ended up growing on me over time though.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 16th, 2017, 1:57 pm

No sense making a new thread for 2017. Merry Christmas everyone.

I'm really feeling Christmas this year. The kids are both excited and actually counting down (now being 5 and 8). They're getting a Switch they don't know about, which should be awesome. They're both in the Christmas play for our church (the younger one is Joseph), and both have either had or are having a Christmas concert in short order. My office Christmas party was incredible, and I drank far too much. Both our sisters will be home for Christmas, and on Christmas day both sets of parents and sisters are coming here for breakfast, then we're going to have turkey dinner for dinner at her parents, then turkey dinner for supper at my parents house. This one strikes me as one I should really try to hold on to.

Hope everyone has a great, happy, memorable Christmas and gets lots of videogame stuff.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 16th, 2017, 2:08 pm

That Woolworth ad is precious. We had one of those at the local mall. That was way back when people used to actually drive out to stores, instead of having Amazon deliver their stuff to their front door!

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 16th, 2017, 3:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote: That was way back when people used to actually drive out to stores, instead of having Amazon deliver their stuff to their front door!

That's still now in this house. I have yet to understand the Amazon mindset. Everything is on sale, every day, somewhere in this town, and I live in a small place. How city people can't go get a thing they can check out first, with all their choices, instead of buying it sight unseen online and then complaining about either delivery, the postal service, packaging, etc. is beyond me. It reminds me of how everyone serves themselves at bigger Wal-Marts, then complains when the checkout they are on has a problem. The problem is you. Don't use the dumb self-serve line and actually get some service for your money.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 16th, 2017, 8:00 pm

Funny, I cannot understand why anybody would NOT use Amazon. They have the best prices and for $99 a year you just about everything delivered to your house in two days and free!

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 16th, 2017, 10:11 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:They have the best prices and for $99 a year you just about everything delivered to your house in two days and free!

For $0 an eternity, I have everything delivered to my house as soon as I bring it home with me. For the grand total eternal price of nothing ever, as soon as I am at home to use the thing, it is in my house with me. The delivery time is zero seconds. If I pick it up on the way home from work, it could never possibly arrive any quicker and have me there to use it.

This discussion reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSsCWykYSYM

Some "advancements" strike me as really backwards. Wow, if I go into the general store and ask to see their Eaton's catalogue, the things I order will arrive in a couple days by coastal ship and chuckwagon.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 17th, 2017, 8:49 am

We’re 50/50 on amazon. I think shopping is still important, as you eliminate almost all of the “surprise” element if you shop online exclusively . But, there’s often niche things you just can’t get local. For example, I got my wife a GoT shirt that says “I drink and I know things”. That’s not gonna be available local. I got my brother a vintage King Kong poster. Same deal. If it’s not current, you probably need to go online.

Regarding shipping time, if it’s an emergency and avaialae, of course I’ll grab that on the way home. But, frankly, I am amazed that they can pull of the 2 day shipping thing so well. I have no idea how.

To sum up: if it’s available local, I’ll get it that way. If not, I’ll gladly support amazon. They are a great company.

Christmas: wife is getting clothes and books, kids are getting random things and we’ll pick out a couple of Wii games (hopefully Mario Kart and Donkey Kong country...hehehe), and I’ll get the usual practical stuff.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 23rd, 2017, 7:27 pm

Merry Christmas my fellow gamers!

It’s December 23rd but only two days til the big day. I feel like playing some Christmas Nights Into Dreams! I got all my shopping done except for one nephew. How are You all with shopping? If I don’t get back on here before Christmas, again everyone have a great one!

scotland

Postby scotland » December 24th, 2017, 12:47 pm

sichristmas.jpg
sichristmas.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 3952 times

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » December 25th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Merry Christmas everyone.

Return to “Other Media”