Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

General and high profile video game topics.
User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 852
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby Retro STrife » December 22nd, 2017, 10:52 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Also I agree 100% with Dave the Video Game Critic and Rich from ReviewTechUSA about the Nintendo Switch being better then the PS4/Xbox One because of exclusives (Nintendo in house games),


I don't remember the VGC ever saying that the Switch is better than the PS4. I think he's said that the PS4 isn't anything special, but is still the best system to own and has the best library of games right now.

I think it's hard, maybe impossible, to objectively claim that any system is better than the PS4 right now. It's still too early for the Switch, but I don't foresee it ever surpassing the PS4 due to the fact that Nintendo can never gain good support from third party developers.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 744
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby Stalvern » December 23rd, 2017, 12:05 am

I'm pretty sure he at least likes Nintendo and Sonic.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 744
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby Stalvern » December 23rd, 2017, 12:05 am

And he hates EA, but who doesn't?

User avatar
DrLitch
Posts: 81
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby DrLitch » December 23rd, 2017, 12:36 am

Console wars, got to love it! Not really relevant anymore, at least we had something to discuss when we were kids - PS1 Vs N64 or Genesis Vs Snes, now we have some talking points. We used to be able to judge consoles on graphics, sound and other hardware features but nowadays this is mostly moot. It is all about games. If you want to talk about games, the PS4 has a good sized library with plenty of variety and exclusives that are worth playing. The Xbox is not far behind. The Switch has had an amazing year with two of the best games in a generation exclusive to it (and frankly quite a few other big hitters like Mario Rabbids, Xenoblade 2, Mario Kart 8 and so on that are near classic). It is too early to judge the console although I certainly am happy to have bought it. 2018 will be interesting how the dynamic changes. The Switch lineup for next year does not look as appealing as 2017's (Bayonetta 3 looks to be the pick of the bunch). Games the Switch will not be getting in 2018 include Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Last of Us 2, Days Gone, and Far Cry 5 off the top of my head. That is a meaty list of titles that are going elsewhere - however, it's relevance will depend on personal taste. Bayonetta 3 on the Switch could be a hit and revered in a manner similar to this year's Nier Automata on the PS4. Anyway, gaming device of the year, and every year for me is the PC or Laptop, without shadow of a doubt. Just spent frugally on the Steam sale and am thoroughly enjoying Limbo for the paltry price of 2bucks. My next game will be Ori and Blind Forest, a steal at 10bucks :P

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 11930
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2017, 1:38 pm

We are lucky to have three consoles in the current generation. I'm not crazy about Microsoft's business practices, but if not for the Xbox One debacle, the PS4 might be an online-only console. I'm pretty sure Sony was at least considering it.

I'm really happy about the Switch's success because I felt like the consoles were heading too far down the PC path. By that I mean big installs, constant updates, and mandatory online. The Switch is a step back towards the plug-and-play model that made consoles so popular to begin with.

User avatar
Retro STrife
Posts: 852
Joined: August 3rd, 2015, 7:40 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby Retro STrife » December 23rd, 2017, 7:49 pm

DrLitch wrote:Console wars, got to love it! Not really relevant anymore, at least we had something to discuss when we were kids - PS1 Vs N64 or Genesis Vs Snes, now we have some talking points. We used to be able to judge consoles on graphics, sound and other hardware features but nowadays this is mostly moot. It is all about games.


Yeah, but I wonder if the feeling that "console wars" stopped has more to do with our age than reality. We're at ages where we can decide what consoles we want, and buy two or three if we want to. The reason for console wars was because your parents were only buying you one console to rot your brain as a kid, and you had to defend that one console like adults defend their political party. But for us, there isn't a reason to pick one console and defend it against all others. I wonder, though, if console wars still exist for middle school and high school kids today.

However, I think it was always about the games, I don't think that's new...the best system of every past generation has been the one with the best games...the kids who argued about graphics were the ones grasping at straws because their system didn't have games as good as the competition (i.e., N64 kids).

Sonicx9
Posts: 915
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2018, 8:08 pm

Rather late response to a old thread but here goes nothing.

matmico399 wrote:I def don’t want the XBox One. I was thinking the PS4 probably, but I will say the Switch is certainly intriguing.


Switch along with the 3DS and PS Vita via the PlayStation TV are the only main 8th gen system I own because the others do not impress me outside of the 3DS and PS Vita.

scotland wrote:
You can like waht you like, its all good - but you have also gone on at length about the previous generation was hampering this generation graphically with developers not wanting the versions to differ too much. You certainly sounded like someone far more into the latest and greatest graphics than cartoony platformers.


My problem with the whole cross-gen/handheld version thing early on in the 8th gen is many of them did not give you the imprison they where taking proper advantage of the so called next gen systems and made you jaded and disappointed in them and question if the systems where powerful especially the early launch games. (Heck the infamous PC "Master" Race (god I hate that term) where negative nellies on the consoles if you read this: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide), I mean if you look at Super Mario Odyssey on the Nintendo Switch it is a night and day jump in graphics and game play that would have never worked on older hardware unlike many of the cross-gen/handheld releases that where from 2013 to 2016 period. And the only time a cross-gen/handheld release game had something to offer not feasible on older hardware was Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor with The Nemesis System game play mechanic that was gimped on the PS3 and Xbox 360 compared to the PC/PS4/Xbox One versions all the other cross-gen/handheld releases had way more parity and their was not much to distinguish from one another and it was frustrating and annoying.

matmico399 wrote:Agreed my friend Scotland. I respect Sonic’s opinions. But he bounces back and forth so much I can never get what he really wants!


Yes, I can bounce back and forth depending on the situation, when something sucks or disappoints I go to something else, and when that starts to suck I go back to the other, I just go for what give me the best enjoyment.

Retro STrife wrote:
I don't remember the VGC ever saying that the Switch is better than the PS4. I think he's said that the PS4 isn't anything special, but is still the best system to own and has the best library of games right now.

I think it's hard, maybe impossible, to objectively claim that any system is better than the PS4 right now. It's still too early for the Switch, but I don't foresee it ever surpassing the PS4 due to the fact that Nintendo can never gain good support from third party developers.


[mod edit: I'm pretty sure] he isn't a big fan of the system, that why.

Stalvern wrote:I'm pretty sure he at least likes Nintendo and Sonic.


That true for the most part, but I was never a fan of the N64 (PS1 and Sega Saturn any day of the week outside of Nintendo and Rare), and the Wii and Wii U respectively (the former because of motion controls and shovelware even though I loved the GameCube backwards compatibility and some of the gems here and their and the later because I did not like it had zero GameCube backwards compatibility along with the fact the GameCube controller adapter only worked for 1 Wii U game with no compatibility for other Wii U or even regular Wii Backwards compatible games which mess them up on Wii U combined with the fact that they should have made Super Smash Bros. 2014 aka for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U aka 4 a Wii U only game because that could have been enough to sell me on the console but they did not, and the fact that content had to be cut to compromise with 3DS once again did not give you the imprison they where taking proper advantage of the so called next gen Wii U system for Smash case which is ridiculous as they never sabotage games like that in the past and it shows.)

Stalvern wrote:And he hates EA, but who doesn't?


I hated EA before it was cool to hate EA so that not surprising for me.

DrLitch wrote:Console wars, got to love it! Not really relevant anymore, at least we had something to discuss when we were kids - PS1 Vs N64 or Genesis Vs Snes, now we have some talking points. We used to be able to judge consoles on graphics, sound and other hardware features but nowadays this is mostly moot. It is all about games. If you want to talk about games, the PS4 has a good sized library with plenty of variety and exclusives that are worth playing. The Xbox is not far behind. The Switch has had an amazing year with two of the best games in a generation exclusive to it (and frankly quite a few other big hitters like Mario Rabbids, Xenoblade 2, Mario Kart 8 and so on that are near classic). It is too early to judge the console although I certainly am happy to have bought it. 2018 will be interesting how the dynamic changes. The Switch lineup for next year does not look as appealing as 2017's (Bayonetta 3 looks to be the pick of the bunch). Games the Switch will not be getting in 2018 include Red Dead Redemption 2, God of War, Last of Us 2, Days Gone, and Far Cry 5 off the top of my head. That is a meaty list of titles that are going elsewhere - however, it's relevance will depend on personal taste. Bayonetta 3 on the Switch could be a hit and revered in a manner similar to this year's Nier Automata on the PS4. Anyway, gaming device of the year, and every year for me is the PC or Laptop, without shadow of a doubt. Just spent frugally on the Steam sale and am thoroughly enjoying Limbo for the paltry price of 2bucks. My next game will be Ori and Blind Forest, a steal at 10bucks :P


I am just nostalgic for Console wars, also I would do PC gaming if I had a good gaming PC rig, but I get way to frustrated with PC such as technical issues/viruses/malware, etc.

VideoGameCritic wrote:I'm really happy about the Switch's success because I felt like the consoles were heading too far down the PC path. By that I mean big installs, constant updates, and mandatory online. The Switch is a step back towards the plug-and-play model that made consoles so popular to begin with.


That exactly why I love the Switch it like a old school console in terms of hardware and design.

Retro STrife wrote:
Yeah, but I wonder if the feeling that "console wars" stopped has more to do with our age than reality. We're at ages where we can decide what consoles we want, and buy two or three if we want to. The reason for console wars was because your parents were only buying you one console to rot your brain as a kid, and you had to defend that one console like adults defend their political party. But for us, there isn't a reason to pick one console and defend it against all others. I wonder, though, if console wars still exist for middle school and high school kids today.

However, I think it was always about the games, I don't think that's new...the best system of every past generation has been the one with the best games...the kids who argued about graphics were the ones grasping at straws because their system didn't have games as good as the competition (i.e., N64 kids).


I am sorry for the drama, it just seems that video games can be polarizing based on how I see such divided opinions on stuff.

User avatar
DaHeckIzDat
Posts: 1014
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 1:41 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 5th, 2018, 10:29 pm

When you can't think of anything new to complain about, just necromance an almost-year-old thread, right?

Alucard1191
Posts: 156
Joined: November 16th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby Alucard1191 » September 6th, 2018, 2:27 am

I gotta say as a gamer that doesn't do a lot of modern games is that the switch is honestly the only modern system that really intrigues me is the switch. Some modern fighters like that crazy DC infinite Justice one and the modern mortal kombat games interest me, (in part thanks to the reviews on this site.) but overall the mostly first person and popular big multiplayer games just don't interest me that much. I started wearing out on those during the Xbox 360 phase of FPS games. (I was REALLY into Halo 1+2 with my friends, Call of Duty, etc.)

Nintendo in general is just the most innovative company in my opinion, for better or worse.

Sonicx9
Posts: 915
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Question to Dave the Video Game Critic about the PS4?

Postby Sonicx9 » September 6th, 2018, 2:48 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:When you can't think of anything new to complain about, just necromance an almost-year-old thread, right?


I actually wanted to do this response earlier in the year, but because of technical issues with my computer, me being busy with other stuff it was delayed the response so my bad.


Return to “Video Games General”