PS2-Activision Anthology

The readers post their own reviews.
CharlieR

Re: PS2-Activision Anthology

Postby CharlieR » December 26th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Played this game a lot over the holiday, some of the best Atari 2600 games on one disc! Stampede is a fun game. Some games I did have to look up how to play.

About the challenges to unlock commercials, iron on patches, and game modes, they are tough. I do wonder if the critic thinks these challenges are easy, as he seems like the type of guy who has been playing these games for years. I've unlocked a few commercials, iron on patches, and game modes, but yeah, they are pretty tough I think.

Sut

Postby Sut » December 26th, 2017, 5:18 pm

CharlieR wrote:Played this game a lot over the holiday, some of the best Atari 2600 games on one disc! Stampede is a fun game. Some games I did have to look up how to play.

About the challenges to unlock commercials, iron on patches, and game modes, they are tough. I do wonder if the critic thinks these challenges are easy, as he seems like the type of guy who has been playing these games for years. I've unlocked a few commercials, iron on patches, and game modes, but yeah, they are pretty tough I think.

I like the challenges they add depth and a sense of ‘completing’ games that are essentially score chasers.
Have you tried the challenges on Atari Anthology ? Very, very tough Missile Command and Gravitar (possibly the hardest game ever) still elude me.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 18th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Anyone had issues with patches unlocking on this ?
I’ve met the requirements for Laser Blast a couple of times but nothing unlocked ? Does it have to be on a set variation or something ?

I mean this games dull anyway without playing it over and over.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 18th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Been a long time, but I only remember buggy patches with Space Shuttle, and the error was in your favor as I recall (Getting a patch when you hadn't actually earned it).

Laser Blast is one of gaming's big missed opportunities. Good concept that's initially fun to play, attractive graphics, and solid audio. And being able to go kamikaze and steer your doomed ufo into the anti-saucer laser that just shot you down was a really nice touch.

But why the heck does the difficulty plateau so quickly at what remains a manageable level? Needs to be more ruthless and challenging. Instead, one can quickly master the game well enough to just keep playing until you get bored, which is never a good hallmark for an arcade style game.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 19th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Atariboy wrote:Laser Blast is one of gaming's big missed opportunities. Good concept that's initially fun to play, attractive graphics, and solid audio. And being able to go kamikaze and steer your doomed ufo into the anti-saucer laser that just shot you down was a really nice touch.

But why the heck does the difficulty plateau so quickly at what remains a manageable level? Needs to be more ruthless and challenging. Instead, one can quickly master the game well enough to just keep playing until you get bored, which is never a good hallmark for an arcade style game.

Completely agree first impressions are very good but it quickly gets dull and tedious. Your write up would make a very good succinct short review.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 15th, 2018, 9:08 am

After unlocking the patches to a somewhat underwhelming and tedious Laser Blast. I move onto the next Anthology Challenge the somehow even more boring and tedious Tennis !

Sorry I know it’s old but this game is a terrible single player game. Very limited shots and a nearly perfect AI who hardly ever misses turn into games of tedium resulting in me losing points due to a loss of concentration because I’m bored. And since when can Tennis players run faster than the ball ?

To unlock the patch I have to win 6 games (1 set) sounds easy ? Not with this AI ! Wish me luck.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 23rd, 2018, 6:28 am

If you haven't already, try changing the left difficulty switch.

If I don't have it all backwards in my mind, I believe the game defaults to not being able to hit the ball at sharp angles, making it tougher to score on an opponent. Just don't change the right difficulty switch, since then the AI player will have the same capability against you.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 26th, 2018, 8:46 am

Atariboy wrote:If you haven't already, try changing the left difficulty switch.

If I don't have it all backwards in my mind, I believe the game defaults to not being able to hit the ball at sharp angles, making it tougher to score on an opponent. Just don't change the right difficulty switch, since then the AI player will have the same capability against you.

Gah ! That would have saved me a few hours frustration.
I mananged to do it in the end and got the patch unlocked. I have zero inclination to ever play this game again.

Anyway Atlantis next which upto yet is a lot more fun, the unlockable is a lot easier too.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » November 26th, 2018, 10:12 am

I played PS2 Activision Anthology so much over the past 15 years. For a while I thought it's emulation was perfect, but then after I reaquired a 2600 and games around 2008 or so, I started to notice many little differences. Nothing that negatively affected the gameplay however, but the wrong sound sometimes, or missing sounds, or the way the Enduro car's tires don't animate the same. It has been a long time since I've played this so memory is getting spotty. Great collection! mostly all that I play on PS2 are retro compilations.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 28th, 2018, 8:13 pm

Ahh Enduro! Seems like a good time of the year to pull that out, considering the variable weather conditions we have to deal with as the weather turns cold.

Return to “Reader Reviews”