Winter Games!

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Re: Winter Games!

Postby matmico399 » December 30th, 2017, 10:04 am

I remember playing a demo disc of Krazy Ivan way back when and it was fun. I think I’ll pick it up if the price is reasonable. Lol those accents!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 30th, 2017, 9:07 pm

pacman000 wrote:Awhile back AtariAge had some folks modifying ROMs, creating NTSC versions of PAL games and visa versa.

http://atariage.com/software_conversions.php

Looks like Mountain Man was never converted. So... Emulation? Or buy a PAL system and TV..,

Sad that Mountain Man isn't on the list (yet).
The good news is, those converted ROMs mean I have a lot more 2600 games to review!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 30th, 2017, 10:08 pm

As for winter games, let's not forget the Batman Returns games which all have a lot of snow. If I do another winter special, I'll be sure to include one of those. Currently playing the Genesis version.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » December 30th, 2017, 10:19 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
pacman000 wrote:Awhile back AtariAge had some folks modifying ROMs, creating NTSC versions of PAL games and visa versa.

http://atariage.com/software_conversions.php

Looks like Mountain Man was never converted. So... Emulation? Or buy a PAL system and TV..,

Sad that Mountain Man isn't on the list (yet).
The good news is, those converted ROMs mean I have a lot more 2600 games to review!

Mountain Man is an alternate title for Ski Hunt, which has been converted:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/146775 ... nversions/

Many other conversions are in that thread -- the AtariAge software conversions page is way out of date. I'm pretty sure that, with the exception of Words-Attack, every classic-era PAL exclusive for the Atari 2600 has been converted to NTSC.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 31st, 2017, 2:40 pm

Good to hear. AtariAge needs to update all their databases it seems.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 31st, 2017, 8:18 pm

Thanks so much for this link! Now I have skiing games for both the Atari 2600 and Intellivision to review.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 1st, 2018, 9:51 am

Anybody know where I can find the manual for Ski Run/Ski Hunt/Mountain Man?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 1st, 2018, 10:10 am

So it turns out that Ski Run and Mountain Man are different games.
Ski Hunt is another name for Mountain Man.

I can't find good publisher names or release dates for either, so if anyone knows please chime in!

I plan to review them both, but I don't think the PAL conversions were completely successful because the screen jumps every now and then. Still playable though.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » January 1st, 2018, 11:45 am

I think a lot of these PAL releases were done on the super-cheap and may not have had manuals, especially since they would potentially have had to do them in multiple languages. I had a quick look and the closest thing to a manual I was able to find for Ski Hunt/Mountain Man was the back of the box for the German release:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-ski-jagd_s13739.html

Here's a rough translation:

Game Description:

The skier is taking part in an exciting ski hunt! However, before he can begin with the hunt, he must avoid touching obstacles, or else his life will be lost and the game must begin again.

There are four hunting possibilities (? - maybe potential quarries for hunting?). By overcoming the obstacles, the animals can be shot.

The scoring begins by overcoming the obstacles, [and then] the more animals one shoots, the more points one earns.

Controls:

The skier's direction is controlled with the joystick, and the red button [is used] to shoot the animals.

Game Variations:

Six games, one player.

That may be the best that can be done for documentation.

Atarimania is probably the best site for researching a lot of the PAL games. It's run by ROM Hunter, who also has an excellent ROM set (updated about once a year as new/more accurate dumps emerge) that will give you the released version of pretty much every classic-era game.

And yeah, Ski Hunt and Ski Run are different games. If you're seeing jumps in the PAL conversions and have an AtariAge account, I think they'd welcome feedback in the thread I linked earlier. (X'Mission was fixed up nicely after I reported issues with it, and that's an interesting little game worth checking out.)

I love that you're delving into PAL games -- and getting closer to being the one site on the net that's reviewed every classic-era Atari 2600 release. Please keep it up! :)

goldenband

Postby goldenband » January 1st, 2018, 12:24 pm

And for Ski Run, here's a translation of the back of the box (which, again, may be the closest thing to a manual) of the German release "Abfahrtslauf" (Downhill Race):

http://www.atarimania.com/game-abfahrtslauf_s13747.html

Downhill Race

John is a participant in an interesting ski run. He has however a limited amount of time for his accomplishment. During every run he must avoid obstacles on the course as well as wild animals who cross his path. Otherwise he'll lose the run and must start a new one. Complicating matters further, he must jump over patches of melted snow. Now John is ready for takeoff. He's firmly resolved that this time he'll reach the highest possible number of points.

Scoring:

The distance that John covers will be displayed at the top of the screen.

One game, one player.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Video Games General”