I got a Switch . . & I like it!

General and high profile video game topics.
rockofhysteria

Re: I got a Switch . . & I like it!

Postby rockofhysteria » January 5th, 2018, 2:24 pm

I also got a switch last year the first Nintendo Console I've owned since the N64 and I really like it so far that games I have for it are very good like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe,Mario Oddysey,Zelda,Bomberman,Doom,NBA2k18 Tetris/Puyo Puyo and some E Shop games like Super Mario Bros,Namco Museum,Stern Pinball,and some SNK Games I plan on getting WWE 2k18 as well and will review that in my wrestling game review. I'm excited to see what comes out this year hopefully a new Super Smash Bros game.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » January 5th, 2018, 2:40 pm

My wife and I got a Switch... & we like it!

Seriously, we couldn't be happier with the system. We were torn between it and an Xbox One. I didn't have a say in the great PS4 / X1 debate - while I don't really like Sony or Microsoft as a brand, my wife loves her 360, and wanted to stick with Microsoft if we traded up.

The biggest deal for us is that we don't have an HDTV. I love my tube TV. I love S-Video. Therefore, our options were to either buy a new TV to use with a new system, or buy an HDMI adapter for our current setup. The Switch took the TV out of the equation entirely. We play purely in handheld mode (aside from a few times we took the system to a friend or relative's house) and are having a blast!

ActRaiser wrote:The other game that I enjoyed on the Wii U that might be good for the Switch is Splatoon 2. From what I've read it's more of an expansion to the original than a true sequel. Has anyone tried that?

We bought the Walmart-exclusive Splatoon 2 Switch bundle. I actually insisted! As a child of the early 80's, I have a soft spot for things with a strong neon or day-glow vibe. Once I saw the hot pink and neon green Joy-Cons, I was sold. Plus, I've always liked the idea of a video game system looking like a toy because, honestly, that's more or less all they are - very expensive toys for adult children. In my opinion, anyway ^_^

My wife loves Splatoon 2, and we've both taken turns passing the system around and duking it out online. I love the fact that the game is relatively non-violent. The matches don't center on blasting each other or racking up kills, but on working as a team to achieve a common goal. I never played the first game, but I feel like the second one has a ton of content to offer, and new (and free!) content has been added steadily since we bought the game. Plenty of new maps, weapons, gear, and customization options have been added since day one. My favorite weapon is actually a pistol that was added later, called the N-ZAP 85. There's also a version called the N-ZAP 89. As you can probably guess from the names, they're the NES Zapper, in both gray and bright orange. I can't play Splatoon 2 without thinking of Duck Hunt, and if you ask me, that is *never* a bad thing!

One word of advice about Spaltoon 2 - motion controls are turned on by default (!) and you are forced to play through the tutorial with them (!!) whether you like it or not. As soon as you get the chance, pull up the options menu, turn motion controls off, AND NEVER LOOK BACK!!

The only other game we've played is Breath of the Wild, and we've barely scratched the surface of it. We love it. It's great. It lives up to the hype over and over again. That being said, I have a pretty busy schedule and lifestyle, and have to play the game in small doses. I always find myself having to pry myself away from it when it's time to turn it off. Like The Critic said in his review, "when's the last time a game made you feel like that?"

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 5th, 2018, 6:14 pm

newmodelarmy wrote:I hear what you are saying, but there is practically nothing on the horizon from a 3rd party perspective. I mean there are plenty of games coming to the Switch but most of those are low budget indie games or eShop games you can typically find on other systems. I for one would be willing to by a third party game of quality on the Switch versus the other systems I own but as far as I can tell that move has not happened. I would bet that in 2018 Nintendo sells less Switch consoles then in 2017. They got a HUGE bump from Mario and Zelda and there is nothing like either of them coming anytime soon.

Im going to disagree with that. When you look at the games that have been released, you can see that big 3rd party devs are testing the waters with the Switch. Bethesda with DOOM, Skyrim, and Wolfenstein 2. Rockstar with LA Noire. EA will most definitely release a Madden coming up. Yes, not much has been announced, but I am willing to bet we see some quality ports coming over given that over 10 million Switches have sold in 9 months. Wait until the Nintendo Direct that is coming up, and I bet they will have some solid announcements. The big N has been super secretive with this thing from the get-go.

I look at it like this, Nintendo has EVERYTHING to lose with this system. The 3DS is on its last leg, and if they fail with the Switch it will pretty much be the nail in the coffin in terms of both consumer and developer confidence. The WiiU left a bad taste in people's mouths, and one more bad thing like that might spell the end. Just look at Sega. They were the powerhouse at the time. They failed with the Saturn, and it was too little too late for the Dreamcast. THE END.

ActRaiser wrote:If you haven't tried Mario Kart 8 yet I'd highly recommend it. I played the heck out of it on the Wii U and can definitely recommend it. The last game in the Mario Kart series I played was Mario Kart 64 so I'm not a huge fan by any means. It's still a good, fun game.

Me and my GF were just talking about this game today. As with you, the last MK game I played was on the N64. She played the Switch version at Target though and loved it, so we will most likely pick that up next.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 5th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Im going to disagree with that. When you look at the games that have been released, you can see that big 3rd party devs are testing the waters with the Switch. Bethesda with DOOM, Skyrim, and Wolfenstein 2. Rockstar with LA Noire. EA will most definitely release a Madden coming up. Yes, not much has been announced, but I am willing to bet we see some quality ports coming over given that over 10 million Switches have sold in 9 months. Wait until the Nintendo Direct that is coming up, and I bet they will have some solid announcements. The big N has been super secretive with this thing from the get-go.

I look at it like this, Nintendo has EVERYTHING to lose with this system. The 3DS is on its last leg, and if they fail with the Switch it will pretty much be the nail in the coffin in terms of both consumer and developer confidence. The WiiU left a bad taste in people's mouths, and one more bad thing like that might spell the end. Just look at Sega. They were the powerhouse at the time. They failed with the Saturn, and it was too little too late for the Dreamcast. THE END.

ActRaiser wrote:If you haven't tried Mario Kart 8 yet I'd highly recommend it. I played the heck out of it on the Wii U and can definitely recommend it. The last game in the Mario Kart series I played was Mario Kart 64 so I'm not a huge fan by any means. It's still a good, fun game.

Me and my GF were just talking about this game today. As with you, the last MK game I played was on the N64. She played the Switch version at Target though and loved it, so we will most likely pick that up next.[/quote]

I guess but we have been down this road before..when is the last time a Nintendo systems had solid 3rd party support....probably the Super Nintendo???????

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » January 6th, 2018, 2:05 am

newmodelarmy wrote:Im going to disagree with that. When you look at the games that have been released, you can see that big 3rd party devs are testing the waters with the Switch. Bethesda with DOOM, Skyrim, and Wolfenstein 2. Rockstar with LA Noire. EA will most definitely release a Madden coming up. Yes, not much has been announced, but I am willing to bet we see some quality ports coming over given that over 10 million Switches have sold in 9 months. Wait until the Nintendo Direct that is coming up, and I bet they will have some solid announcements. The big N has been super secretive with this thing from the get-go.

Me and my GF were just talking about this game today. As with you, the last MK game I played was on the N64. She played the Switch version at Target though and loved it, so we will most likely pick that up next.

I guess but we have been down this road before..when is the last time a Nintendo systems had solid 3rd party support....probably the Super Nintendo???????[/quote]

If you’re talking overall hardware, the best third party support that Nintendo ever received had to be with the original DS. Nearly every major developer had a major title released on it, from Rockstar (the excellent Chinatown Wars), to Sega (Sonic, Super Monkey Ball), to Altus (Radiant Historia, Trauma Center), Capcom (the Phoenix Wright series, Mega Man), Konami (Contra 4, the Castlevania trilogy), Taito (Space Invaders), Tecmo (Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword), Xseed (Retro Game Challenge), Square Enix (Dragon Quest IX, the remakes of 4-6, Final Fantasy Tactics A2), Activision (Guitar Hero, cramped peripheral and all, Tony Hawk)Treasure (Bangao Spirits, or however it’s spelled), etc.. That, along with all of the great first party software, makes it my all-time favorite Nintendo platform!

They can do it again.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 6th, 2018, 9:19 am

newmodelarmy wrote:
I guess but we have been down this road before..when is the last time a Nintendo systems had solid 3rd party support....probably the Super Nintendo???????

Thats true. The WiiU had initial support but low sales killed it. The Switch has sold almost as many Switches in 9 months than the WiiU sold in 5 years. So I guess time will tell whether or not the 3rd party devs see this as a profitable venture

Voor

Postby Voor » January 6th, 2018, 9:28 am

OP is the classic example of forming a firm opinion about something without actually experiencing the product itself. It’s So annoying. Next time, please say “I’ll reserve judgement until I have a chance to play it”. Lol. Just joking (sort of).

The time was right for the Switch. The Nintendo formula is an innovative console + their franchises + a few good ports. If the innovative part is a success (as it was for Wii, not Wii U), then Nintendo wins.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 6th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Voor wrote:OP is the classic example of forming a firm opinion about something without actually experiencing the product itself. It’s So annoying. Next time, please say “I’ll reserve judgement until I have a chance to play it”. Lol. Just joking (sort of).

The time was right for the Switch. The Nintendo formula is an innovative console + their franchises + a few good ports. If the innovative part is a success (as it was for Wii, not Wii U), then Nintendo wins.

Hey, I was let down by both the Wii and Wii U and formed my opinion around that. So suck an egg! :lol:

Seriously though, I do think it is the perfect time for it. The PS4 and the Xbone are just too much for me anymore.

Return to “Video Games General”