Recommend some anime!

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Recommend some anime!

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 19th, 2018, 9:01 pm

If anybody knows of good video game-inspired anime let me know!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 19th, 2018, 9:23 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:If anybody knows of good video game-inspired anime let me know!

You might like the Attack on Titan game. It stays true to the anime, and swinging around the city while swinging your swords looks like the perfect combination of Spiderman and Shadow of the Colossus.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 20th, 2018, 12:02 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:If anybody knows of good video game-inspired anime let me know!

Ohhh, wait! You meant animes that are about video games! My bad. The only one that comes to mind is Sword Art Online. People play this virtual reality MMO, but then find out they can't log off, and if they die in the game the helmet fries their brains in real life. The only way to escape is to beat the game. The first few episodes were awesome, but after that it goes from "Virtual Hunger Games" to "How many girls can we make fall in love with Kirito in one season?" and it sucks.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 20th, 2018, 1:04 am

ActRaiser wrote:I'm so out of touch of everything...

But as no one has said it yet, Robotech.

It's great.

You think Robotech is great ActRaiser, you need to watch it original Japanese counterpart Macross with the first series The Super Dimension Fortress Macross I love this series and it got me back into Anime after a few year hiatus, the original TV series and the movie retelling Do You Remember Love? are a must watch and a very accessible for new comers to Anime because it is not super weird or convoluted for average joes which makes it a big must for both long time Anime fans and new comers alike. Their are other follow ups to Macross that are different from the Robotech counterparts, but the original era is the best of them all! I take original era Macross over both Gundam and Evangelion any day of the week. I also live near where the official Macross fan convention and got to meat the voice actress of Lynn Minmay named Mari Iijima who does her in both the Japanese and ADV English dub of the first series and she is a nice women. I think the Macross version in both Japanese and ADV dub put the Robotech version to shame here are some voice comparisons.: http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... nn-Minmay/ and http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... ru-Ichijo/ and http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv- ... -J-Global/ andhttp://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/ ... oy-Focker/.

Akiba's Trip: The Animation based on the Akiba's series from Acquire which has seen a us release on the PS3, PS4, and PS Vita respectively.

Various .hack/ series both the Anime and Games came out around the same time and are owned by Bandai Namco formally Bandai side. The games have been released in the US.

Ace Attorney the games have been released in the US on the Nintendo DS, and rumors of a Nintendo Switch remaster collection.: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/11/13/repo ... mpilations But make sure you play the first two games as the Anime will spoil the games. And make sure you watch the English dub as the sub is based on the Japanese scripts for the games as the English versions where Americanized for cultural reasons.

Arc the Lad had an Anime and the games where released in the us.

Ar Tonelico and Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky have Animes and the games are available in English, but the Anime is sub only and the games are JRPGS which are normally not critics go to genre.

Battle Arena Toshinden had an Anime and you are familiar with that series critic.

Bayonetta: Bloody Fate based on the first Bayonetta game.

BlazBlue Alter Memory based on the first two BlazBlue games but I don't think the critic is a big fan of the games so this is unlikely.

Blue Dragon had an Anime and is based on one of the very few Japanese made Xbox franchise which is not common as the more popular Halo has also gotten an Anime which I will mention soon.

Bomberman Jetters based on the game series and the Anime did get a GameCube game released in the us, so make sure you play that first and you are going to need to find the fan subs online as this never got an official English dub/sub release.

Dimensional Adventure Nu-Mamonja is based on the Chrono universe RPG series from Square Enix, but fansub only online.

Corpse Party has anime's and the games where released on the 3DS and PS Vita physical BTW, fansub only online but make sure you play the games as the anime will spoil the story.

Danganronpa has anime's and the games where released on the PS Vita and PS4 in the US so this, but make sure you play the games as the Anime's will spoil the games.

Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge is based on Darkstalkers which the critic is very familiar with, it even got a UMD release on the PSP.

Devil May Cry had an anime and this is familiar to critic as he played the games.

An obscure Sega IP Dinosaur King had an Anime and a Nintendo DS game, it was their answer to Nintendo Pokemon.

Disgaea had an Anime and is based on the popular tactical RPG franchise from NIS.

Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker had an Anime and is based on the EA/Bioware western property.

Dragon Quest had two anime series and the first 13 epsodes where dub and localized under the Dragon Warrior name.

F-Zero: GP Legend is based on F-Zero and the English dub/sub episodes you have to find online or bootleg dvds.

Fatal Fury had 3 Anime movies and this is familiar territory as the critic is familiar with SNK stuff.

Fate/ media franchise has many anime's and is based on the video game series, but most of them are on PC/Japan only and the only console/handheld ones that critic has access to is Fate/Extra which was on the PSP for the first game, and its more popular successor Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star which is on the PS4/PS Vita and the Nintendo Switch.

Final Fantasy has many anime's, but the critic is not really a fan of the franchise so he has to have someone else review them.

God Eater has an Anime and the games where released in the US on the PSP, PS Vita and the PS4.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja aka Ganbare Goemon had animes with one of the series getting an English Dub/sub treatment from ADV films later Discotek Media, but the critic should at least play and review Legend of the Mystical Ninja on the SNES, the 2 N64 Goemon games which are Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and Goemon's Great Adventure, two diffrent gameboy games under the Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon did come out on game boy, one released in the us and the other in Europe via the Konami GB Collection Vol. 3 which are both diffrent games.

Gungrave had an Anime and the games where on the PS2 so this should not be a diffcult choice.

Gunparade March is one of the rare cases of an Anime based on a Japanese console game that had it Anime counterpart localized but not the game itself!

Halo Legends is based on Halo and this is familiar for critic.

Hyperdimension Neptunia: The Animation is based on the Hyperdimension Neptunia franchise and the series was released in the US via PS3, PS4, and PS Vita.

Kid Icarus Uprising had Anime shorts that you can watch online via YouTube and this is familiar territory.

Kirby: Right Back at Ya! based on Kirby but it is very childish so it is a low chance of covering.

Mega Man: Upon a Star is based on Classic Mega Man and is the pilot episodes to the more Americanized TV series that is very cheesy!

MegaMan NT Warrior is based on the Mega Man Battle Network sub series on the GBA and the Nintendo DS.

Mega Man Star Force is based on the Mega Man Star Force sub series and you may have to look for bootleg dvds are online sites to watch this one.

Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On is based on the 3DS Monster Hunter Stories game a spin off to the main Monster Hunter series.

Monster Rancher had an Anime and the games where on PS1, PS2, GBC, GBA, DS, etc.

Ninja Gaiden had a Japan only anime and is only available in the west via fansubs online or bootleg dvds.

PaRappa the Rapper had a Anime in Japan only and is avaialbe in the west via fansubs online or bootleg dvds.

Phantasy Star Online 2 has an Anime that is to a game from Japan only even though the previous Phantasy Star Online games where available in the west.

Pokémon has many Anime, but this one is unlikely for the critics case.

PoPoLoCRois has Animes and the games where released in the US via PSP and 3DS.

Power Stone has an Anime and both the Japanese and English versions have differences.

Professor Layton has a Anime movie and the series is on the Nintendo DS and 3DS.

Little Battlers Experience has a Anime and the 3DS game was released here.

Medabots has a Anime and the Anime came before the games came here on the GBA, GameCube, etc.

Ragnarok has a few Anime and some of the games where released on Consoles and handhelds in the US BTW.

Art of Fighting has a Anime and another SNK franchise.

Sakura Wars has many anime's but only the 5th main game was released in the US on both the Wii and the PS2.

Samurai Shodown has 3 Anime's one which was released in the US, but the later two in Japan only via fansubs with one of them stars Nakoruru and had a visual novel game in Japan.

Samurai Warriors 4 had a Anime and the game was released in the US on PS4, PS3 and PS Vita.

Sands of Destruction had a Anime to the Nintendo DS game of the same name.

Sengoku Basara has many Anime, the first one was released in the US under the americanized adaptation called Devil Kings, with the 3rd game being available in the US on Wii and PS3.

Senran Kagura has 2 Anime series and the games where released in the US on the 3DS, PS Vita and PS4.

Shining Tears and Shining Wind both have Anime's and the first game Shining Tears came to the west, but not the other game.

Sonic the Hedgehog has two Anime's the OVA based on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive era and Sonic X for the modern era and the English dub for the OVA has that so bad its good cheesy voice acting Mega Man 8 style!

Star Ocean had an anime based on the second game in the series.

Steins;Gate has anime's and the series has games in English on the PS3, PS Vita, and PS4.

Street Fighter has many anime's that you have yet to watch such as two based on the Alpha sub series, Street Fighter II V and another Street Fighter 4 OVA that is better then the The Ties That Bind.

Super Mario Bros. has two Anime only available in Japan and can be watched online via fan-subs or bootleg dvds.

Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation had two Anime released with the GBA games being available in the US.

Tales of has many anime's with all of them being ones released in the US.

Tekken has two Anime's one hand drawn and the other CG, with the CG one being available on Blu ray via the Tekken Hybrid on PS3 and the Nintendo 3DS game, Tekken 3D: Prime Edition.

Twinbee got Anime only released in Japan with fansubs and fun fact some of the music from the SNES/later Arcade/PS1 and Sega Saturn got used in the Anime and critic did review the Sega Saturn Twinbee collection.

The Tower of Druaga has two Anime series and this is familiar thanks to the Namco Museum series in the US.

Shin Megami Tensei has many anime with some of them being the more notible games in the west such as the Persona sub series and Devil Survivor 2.

Valkyria Chronicles has a Anime and the original game is on both the PS3 and PS4 in the US.

Variable Geo has some Anime and the japan only fighting game series can be imported on the PC Engine CD, Super Famicom via the this trick.: https://youtu.be/_6krY7ziars?t=2m35s And the Sega Saturn.

Viewtiful Joe had an Anime during the franchises peak period.

Virtua Fighter had a Anime but only the first half was dubbed with the later half via fansubs for the west.

Wild Arms had a anime for the games released on PlayStation systems.

Xenosaga had a Anime and the series is on the PS2 in the US.

Yo-kai Watch had a Anime and the series is on the 3DS in the US.

Ys had a anime but the critic should at least play Ys book 1 and 2 on the Turbo CD someday for a review before watching this one.

Zone of the Enders had two Anime instalments that are story tied to the two main games on PS2, PS3, and Xbox 360, and soon the PS4 for the second game only, along with a GBA game tied with the later Anime.

Growlanser Wayfarer of Time had a Anime and the PSP game is available in the US.

Hakuōki has many anime and the games have been released in the us for the PSP, Vita and DS and 3DS.

Panzer Dragoon had a Anime

The King of Fighters got two Anime that you can watch online and the later is a CG series.

Star Fox god a Anime short that is available on Nintendo YouTube channel.

Anime based on live action movie properties and Tokusatsu series

Godzilla is getting an Anime and I know you love your Godzilla critic, also Ultraman aka the Ultra series has Anime as well. Batman, Blade Runner, The Matrix, Marvel all have gotten Anime related with these western properties.

Not based on Video Games, but the critic has reviewed some of them and may not know that some of the english debus where from the games and not the Anime themselves.

Orguss was based on the Super Dimension Century Orguss which despite using the Super Dimension name is not related to Macross with the best Macross game being on the Super Famicom.

Fist of the North Star started as a Anime before the video games got made, and mind you one of them the Sega Master System game Black Belt was a Fist of the North Star before being Americanized it even had a american live action movie FYI.

The Sega Master System game series Zillion 1 and 2 are both based on a Anime series that is actually based on a Sega Toy and had Sega former Mascot Opa-Opa of the Fantasy Zone fame.

Vampire Hunter D inspired the later Castelvania games like Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night FYI and got a relly bad PS1 game.

The PC-Engine game Genji Tsuushin Agedama was a Anime before the game.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genji_Ts% ... in_Agedama fansubs online or bootlegdvds.

Mazin Saga: Mutant Fighter is related to the long running Mazinger franchise from Japan.

Eight Man for the Neo Geo is based on a Anime franchise: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_Man#Video_game

Yu-Gi-Oh! is a very famous franchise thanks to the card game and the many video games and both the card and video games are made by the famous video game company Konami.

Gundam is the famous Anime series and the critic did like the one for the Arcadia 2001 that was reviewed via the multicart.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for the Sega Dreamcast had Anime before the game and the game was the first non-japanese appearance of the famous franchise FYI.

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage is based on the very famous Berserk Anime franchise, and the Sega Dreamcast game was the first US appearance before the 1997 Anime series got dubbed in English in 2002. And the game is a sequel to the 1997 Anime series. Later Berserk anime series are seprete series continuities.

Sorry for the long post, but that is a big list for you critic.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 20th, 2018, 8:39 am

You answered my question 1000% Sonic! ;)
Thanks - I may look up a few of these.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 20th, 2018, 9:04 am

Wow Sonic! Gold star for that list!

If you had to pick, say 5 of those, which would you recommend?

One old anime that 'people of a certain age' remember well include Starblazers (Battleship Yamato), the original Lion Voltron stuff, and of course Speed Racer. Lupin the Third was popular in the 80s among anime fans.

StarBlazers was maybe the first show I watched with a huge season long arc (as described in the very theme song)

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » January 20th, 2018, 11:01 am

There was an animated movie for Dead Space as well. I only ever caught the first half though.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » January 20th, 2018, 11:39 am

Super Mario Bros. has two Anime only available in Japan and can be watched online via fan-subs or bootleg dvds.

Three:

-Super Mario Bros: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach - A loose adaption of Super Mario Bros' story as a feature length film. http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/smbtgmtrpp.shtml

-Amada Anime Series: Super Mario Bros. - A collection of fairy tales, with Mario characters playing the fairy tale characters. http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/anime_amada.shtml

-Mario Kirby Masterpiece- An edutainment video. Mario and Kirby star in shorts intended to teach Japaneses writing to youngsters. http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Kirby_Masterpiece

And now there's a fourth: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... f_in_japan Apparently it's a traffic safety film.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 21st, 2018, 12:02 am

pacman000 wrote:

Three:

-Super Mario Bros: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach - A loose adaption of Super Mario Bros' story as a feature length film. http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/smbtgmtrpp.shtml

-Amada Anime Series: Super Mario Bros. - A collection of fairy tales, with Mario characters playing the fairy tale characters. http://themushroomkingdom.net/mania/anime_amada.shtml

-Mario Kirby Masterpiece- An edutainment video. Mario and Kirby star in shorts intended to teach Japaneses writing to youngsters. http://kirby.wikia.com/wiki/Mario_Kirby_Masterpiece

And now there's a fourth: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... f_in_japan Apparently it's a traffic safety film.

My bad, I only listed the 2 more well known ones.

I also forgot to mention about Azure Striker Gunvolt Anime but the critic needs to review the Nintendo Switch Collectiin first before watching it on YouTube dub and sub languages, Fire Emblem was released here with both dub and sub, and Salamander Anime OVA based on Konami's.Gradius and Salamander games sub only via online.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 21st, 2018, 3:05 pm

ptdebate wrote:My second favorite is .Hack//Sign. It's the concept that Sword Art is based on, but does the same thing way, way better. The music is incredible. The English version is okay from what I remember.

I tried watching that last night, and was immediately put off by the main character's voice. He sounds like he's six years old. Does it get better? Also, what is the story about, besides the kid being stuck in a video game?

Return to “Other Media”