Physical Release Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate

Re: Physical Release Thread

Postby ptdebate » January 24th, 2018, 6:55 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Is it just me, or is the Switch becoming the system of choice for those who prefer physical media?

I would say definitely not. A large number of the games don't fit on the cartridges because Nintendo didn't design them with enough storage capacity. Many retail games still require huge downloads of game content.

Xbox and PS4 games also frequently require content downloads, but they are much smaller than what we're seeing for the Switch, because the Blu Ray medium is more flexible, and allows up to 100GB of data.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 24th, 2018, 11:11 pm

ptdebate wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Is it just me, or is the Switch becoming the system of choice for those who prefer physical media?

I would say definitely not. A large number of the games don't fit on the cartridges because Nintendo didn't design them with enough storage capacity. Many retail games still require huge downloads of game content.

Xbox and PS4 games also frequently require content downloads, but they are much smaller than what we're seeing for the Switch, because the Blu Ray medium is more flexible, and allows up to 100GB of data.

Keep in note that the only Nintendo Switch games that need updates that are mandatory are NBA 2K18 (on rival systems like the PS4 and Xbox One), L.A. Noire (on rival systems like the PS4 and Xbox One), Resident Evil: Revelations Collection (for downloading Revelations 2 as that game is digital only on Switch for now, and is on other systems, #1 is on cart with no updates required), and WWE 2K18 (which the port sucks ass and is on other systems like PS4 and Xbox One). Also Doom 2016 needs it for the multiplayer but has everything else needed on the cart, but the upcoming Japanese version on March 1, 2018 will likely have the latest up to date patches baked in the cart, and because Nintendo Switch games are region free this is no issue. So this not a major issue as most of the games that need updates that are mandatory are mostly games on rival systems so it is not a large chunk of the library. And mind you most of the physical games released outside of the few exceptions don't need mandatory updates and are good to go.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 25th, 2018, 9:19 am

It's just you Critic. I think it just feels that way because the Switch is a new system, so there is more optimistic buzz around it right now. But I agree with ptdebate.

Also, like with every Nintendo system since the Gamecube, I feel like most serious console gamers are treating the Switch as a secondary console, after they own one of the others first. It's great for that role, but I think PS4 is still the overall preference for people who have both. Plus, if a game is released on the PS4 and Switch, and you own both, why would you buy the Switch version when the PS4 version will look better, have a better controller, have a better online platform, etc.?

Plus, as a collector of physical media, a disc is more "collectible" to me than the little cards that Switch games come on.. They're smaller than DS games, so they don't have the same collectability as old cartridges. Don't you feel the same way?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 25th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Retro STrife wrote:

It's just you Critic. I think it just feels that way because the Switch is a new system, so there is more optimistic buzz around it right now. But I agree with ptdebate.

Also, like with every Nintendo system since the Gamecube, I feel like most serious console gamers are treating the Switch as a secondary console, after they own one of the others first. It's great for that role, but I think PS4 is still the overall preference for people who have both. Plus, if a game is released on the PS4 and Switch, and you own both, why would you buy the Switch version when the PS4 version will look better, have a better controller, have a better online platform, etc.?

Plus, as a collector of physical media, a disc is more "collectible" to me than the little cards that Switch games come on.. They're smaller than DS games, so they don't have the same collectability as old cartridges. Don't you feel the same way?

Simple the critic liks the Nintendo Switch more end of story, can not blame him on that,it puts the PS4 and Xbox One shame in terms of pure fun!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » January 25th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Retro STrife wrote:

As a collector I find cartridges of any kind to be far preferable to a disc. I agree that smaller DS and Switch carts aren’t quite as fun to collect as the larger older system carts, but they’re certainly better than discs. Discs are far more prone to failure in every way. The disc itself can be scratched (harder with Blu-rays but still possible), disc drives fail, and hard drives—which are now required of disc-based systems—fail. Cartridges are extremely hard to break—I’ve actually never seen a bad cartridge in my life—and cartridge based systems are less prone to failure since they have less moving parts.

And as far as collecting games on Xbox One, so many of them are practically unplayable without a day one update, so I feel as though half of my library is basically just a long term rental.

I can’t see any argument for discs being more collectible, other than just a personal preference.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 25th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Simple the critic liks the Nintendo Switch more end of story, can not blame him on that,it puts the PS4 and Xbox One shame in terms of pure fun!

I like the enthusiasm, Sonicx9.. unrivaled around here.

ESauce wrote:I can’t see any argument for discs being more collectible, other than just a personal preference.

I see it the opposite. But first, naturally I think regular-sized carts (NES, Genesis, N64, etc.) are more "collectible" than discs. Especially for loose carts vs. loose discs, it's not even close (discs at least pull a little closer if they're complete and have nice packaging.. but even then, cartridges are usually still more fun and interesting to collect). Even small carts are ok.. I like my Gameboy and Game Gear cartridges, for example.

So we're on the same page there. To me, where discs surpass carts is this newer breed of super-small carts. Neither is great, especially when loose, but I'd take discs first. My loose DS games are a complete menace to my collection. They annoy me more than anything. They're not remotely displayable, they have no aesthetic appeal, and they're so small that looking through them isn't even interesting. The Switch carts are even smaller, so they're even worse than that. God forbid you get loose ones... (And just wait several years when Gamestop starts throwing out the cases and selling them loose, like they do with DS games). At least with loose discs, you can hold it tangibly in your hand, you can look at the art on the disc (which isn't usually good, but at least better than what they can fit on a mini-cart), and you can put them in blank jewel cases in order to organize them. Admittedly that's boring too, but I'd still take that over a little cart that's the size of my thumbnail. As far as being prone to failure, I don't usually factor that in, since I've never had a disc or cartridge that stopped working (unless the prior owner damaged it already).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 25th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Update: Two new Limited Run Games physical titles anounced for the Nintendo Switch with Flinthook and Mercenary Kings: http://nintendoeverything.com/flinthook ... l-release/

More physical love!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 25th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Update: Another Indie game getting physical on all systems called PixARK part of the ARK: Survival Evolved universe coming this year, including Nintendo Switch!: https://gematsu.com/2018/01/ark-surviva ... -switch-pc

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 28th, 2018, 6:56 pm

For the critic/other that need to know what physical Nintendo Switch games you need in your collection, this should help. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0 Many of these are released day to day physical and digital and normally this thread is for physical versions of download only in mind games, but this is useful for all Nintendo Switch fans!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 28th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Update: A better more accurate list for you critic/others to use: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Return to “Video Games General”