Elwood Adams, Oldest Hardware Store in the U.S., Closes

Talk about music, movies, television, books, and other media. No religious or political discussion allowed.
pacman000

Elwood Adams, Oldest Hardware Store in the U.S., Closes

Postby pacman000 » February 3rd, 2018, 2:25 pm

http://www.telegram.com/news/20170911/e ... f-business

This makes me sad and worried; I work in a hardware store. :(

matmico399

Re: Elwood Adams, Oldest Hardware Store in the U.S., Closes

Postby matmico399 » February 4th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Since 1872? That is sad that should be a historical landmark.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 4th, 2018, 4:12 pm

That is sad, but frankly I'm surprised they lasted this long. In my area the big box hardware stores closed down all the mom-and-pop hardware stores decades ago.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » February 9th, 2018, 3:47 am

where I am there is a boom with them, people love them... me especially. I hate the fact that all the record stores have closed.. so I am forced to buy off amazon. For DIY and hardware I shop in the UK hardware stores.

PAC read the article. The reason it is closing is now buyer has been found and the owner wants to retire.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » February 9th, 2018, 10:44 am

GameOfThrones wrote:The reason it is closing is now buyer has been found and the owner wants to retire.

Indeed. There's little money to be made in the current market, so no one wants to invest in hardware stores. When the owner retires, they're closed.

scotland

Postby scotland » February 10th, 2018, 6:49 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:That is sad, but frankly I'm surprised they lasted this long. In my area the big box hardware stores closed down all the mom-and-pop hardware stores decades ago.

'
And even the big stores are tossed on their heels. There was a time when I would drive to Sears to get a Craftsman tool, and that brand and warranty really meant something. You didn't own a real set of combination wrenches unless they were Craftsmen for me. Now, a single company owns Stanley, Black and Decker and Craftsman.

When Home Depots first opened, I was part of the group that shopped there, and probably helped close down those mom and pop shops. After a few years, I switched back to two local stores, and now I only go to Home Depot when I get a gift card.

Return to “Other Media”