Monster Hunter World

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ptdebate

Monster Hunter World

Postby ptdebate » February 6th, 2018, 2:56 pm

The first game that has made an 8th-generation controller impossible to put down. All the depth of the previous games, but so much more playable for newbies. At this point, it's definitely an A+ title.

Retro STrife

Re: Monster Hunter World

Postby Retro STrife » February 6th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Before this one, I've never paid attention to the MH games. Nothing about the prior games caught my eye and it has seemed like a niche series. (And the name Monster Hunter has always sounded to me like a Pokemon clone, even though I realize it's not like that).

But all the reviews and recent praise for MHW are definitely making me take note. Don't know if I'll play it, but I've put it "on my list". Still, I don't know much about the series. What is it that makes the MH games so appealing? And do you prefer playing them in online co-op or single player?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » February 8th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Before this one, I've never paid attention to the MH games. Nothing about the prior games caught my eye and it has seemed like a niche series. (And the name Monster Hunter has always sounded to me like a Pokemon clone, even though I realize it's not like that).

But all the reviews and recent praise for MHW are definitely making me take note. Don't know if I'll play it, but I've put it "on my list". Still, I don't know much about the series. What is it that makes the MH games so appealing? And do you prefer playing them in online co-op or single player?

The best aspect of the game is very similar to Dark Souls - taking down a powerful enemy after lots of preparation and then reaping the rewards.

Monster Hunter is based on an addictive loop of hunt for monster, make equipment from monster parts, hunt more powerful monster for more powerful equipment so you can hunt more powerful monsters, etc.

But describing it that way really doesn't do it justice. It's just a really fun, meaty, grandiose RPG (it's probably the game with the most OH SH** moments) that you can play with your friends (but you can also choose to play it by yourself).

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 9th, 2018, 6:51 pm

ptdebate wrote:The first game that has made an 8th-generation controller impossible to put down. All the depth of the previous games, but so much more playable for newbies. At this point, it's definitely an A+ title.

Sweet! A Bloodborne thread!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » February 9th, 2018, 9:40 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:
ptdebate wrote:The first game that has made an 8th-generation controller impossible to put down. All the depth of the previous games, but so much more playable for newbies. At this point, it's definitely an A+ title.

Sweet! A Bloodborne thread!

Hahaha. Well played. Yes, I agree - Bloodborne was really the first.

Return to “Now Playing”