Inverted camera controls?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Inverted camera controls?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 14th, 2018, 10:51 am

Very few things can turn me off a game faster than the camera controls being inverted, with no option to change that. Do people actually play games like that? What is the point?

Retro STrife

Re: Inverted camera controls?

Postby Retro STrife » February 14th, 2018, 11:45 am

I remember inverted controls often being the standard when 3D games first started, throughout the 90s. Not just for the camera, but up and down movement too. Always hated it, and hated it when there wasn't an option to change it. Maybe it makes sense in a few situations, like flight sim games, but otherwise I can't see the point. Fortunately it seems like developers finally realized that gamers preferred regular controls. Games like Halo, which helped popularize the 2-stick control scheme, probably helped a lot with that shift to regular controls too.

Is there a particular game or games that you played recently that prompted this thought?

I'd be curious to hear from someone here if they do prefer the inverted controls though. Many games still put it as an option, so there must be someone...

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 14th, 2018, 11:59 am

Like I said, I bought a PS2 recently, and I decided to replay the first game I ever played on my first PS2, Tak and the Power of Juju. And the camera controls are backwards! Up and down is normal, but left and right is inverted, and it's constantly throwing me for a loop lol.

And funny thing, I refuse to play Halo with my cousin because he insists on always having inverted controls on. I can't even play like that, so it isn't even fun.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » February 14th, 2018, 2:02 pm

I don't know what you guys are talking about. Inverted is the only way I play games. You guys are doing it wrong. :lol:

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 14th, 2018, 4:21 pm

^ See, I knew there was somebody keeping that setting alive in all our options menus....

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 14th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Interesting topic. I always wondered why inverted has long been he standard control scheme. I guess it's because the early first-person games were flight simulators, so it made sense.

Now, when I play a game like Doom I don't really see the point of using inverted. Still, I can play either way.

Voor

Postby Voor » February 14th, 2018, 10:12 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I don't know what you guys are talking about. Inverted is the only way I play games. You guys are doing it wrong. :lol:

Same here, but only for vertical controls.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » February 14th, 2018, 11:39 pm

I used to play inverted because that’s how all the earlier first person games defaulted and I was used to it. I know I played a Halo 2 inverted. But I got tired of updating the menu and switched to using the default in games. I can still do inverted if I go play an old game though; it never bothers me for long.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » February 15th, 2018, 9:12 am

I have buddies that switch current games to inverted because they grew up first learning on GoldenEye. I play whatever way the game is set up.

BitGid

Postby BitGid » February 25th, 2018, 9:29 am

It all boils down to preference. Try one way if it doesn't feel right then invert them and see if that works better for you

Return to “Video Games General”